Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,263 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,476 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 24 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@musos said:

This is really not an appropriate or polite statement from someone who works for VSL.

I'm pretty sure Dietz wasn't being completely serious with his comment. I think it's possible to find a bit of banter there.

• For the record I also took Dietz's comment very lightheartedly (I still would even without the emoticon), in addition, if 80% or so of a company's customers are PC users of course they would take priority in some fashion or other. I'm happy enough that VSL video demos/tutorials are done on the Mac - you just can't beat the aesthetics, and I personally could not possibly work if I had to look at a Vista screen/buttons/architecture etc.

Logic X? Where did you hear that? This summer? I wonder whether it will just be a little Lionized or actually include some real improvements...

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

There will be a built-in solution especially for those poor souls who have to use Logic. A workaround, of course, but it will work.

This is really not an appropriate or polite statement from someone who works for VSL. Dietz, you usually try to deflect discussions away from platform wars and this comment shows a rather unfortunate bias. It also tells tells me that Mac/Logic users are possibly regarded as second-class citizens by VSL and even that development for Mac takes a reluctant second place in your priorities.

Very unfortunate indeed.

You could also read it as VSL spending extra time specifically for Logic users on features that nobody else needs, thereby showing a greater commitment to OSX than Windows. [;)]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

.....and I personally could not possibly work if I had to look at a Vista screen/buttons/architecture etc.

Luckily professionals using MIR use Windows 7. [:P]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

There will be a built-in solution especially for those poor souls who have to use Logic. A workaround, of course, but it will work.

This is really not an appropriate or polite statement from someone who works for VSL. Dietz, you usually try to deflect discussions away from platform wars and this comment shows a rather unfortunate bias. It also tells tells me that Mac/Logic users are possibly regarded as second-class citizens by VSL and even that development for Mac takes a reluctant second place in your priorities.

Very unfortunate indeed.

Sigh. Why can't my words be taken with a pinch of salt, especially when I give a positive answer and add a BIG FAT SMILEY ...

So let me put it that way: Yes, we try to overcome the limitations of Logic once again on behalf of a tailor-made solution, developed escpecially for you.

... does this sound better now?

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Luckily professionals using MIR use Windows 7.

DG

There is no other solution as MIR, today, only work on PC ![:@]

As VSL is developing MIR PRO to run on Mac it is a serious sign that there is money to do with Mac user and a lot of Mac user are refusing to work with PC

VSL (Martin S) did an extra effort to re-wite loading routine, so now you can load using full speed of your I/O

By the way,  did a comparison at and equal configuration before buying my Macpro 12 core, Mac is a little bit cheaper [:P]

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • I was at Paul's Mir Pro presentation in Montreal and I can tell that VSL have been working hard on a solution for Logic's AU limitation. The have a workaround. So they still care about Logic users.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

Sigh. Why can't my words be taken with a pinch of salt, especially when I give a positive answer and add a BIG FAT SMILEY ...

So let me put it that way: Yes, we try to overcome the limitations of Logic once again on behalf of a tailor-made solution, developed escpecially for you.

... does this sound better now?

That sounds much better than "poor souls" who use Logic.

Your tailor-made solutions are always appreciated.

That's more like the Dietz I've seen on these forums.....[Y]

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

.....and I personally could not possibly work if I had to look at a Vista screen/buttons/architecture etc.

DG

Well, there had to be some compensations for using such a repulsive system  [:)]

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

DG

Well, there had to be some compensations for using such a repulsive system  

Why do you think MIR is repulsive? Have you ever used it?

DG

• MIR is not a "system" Windows is one [+o(]

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@Cyril said:

MIR is not a "system" Windows is one

Ah I see. So he was just being childish then? [:P]

DG

• ...sorry for having caused this debate by asking about logic's AU limitation ;-)

but I just have one more question concerning audio routing with MIR Pro...  

I have never used this feature with the current MIR simply because it seemed too complicated to send audio signals from my sequencer computer to the MIR slave and then send it back to the host.... so will it work with MIR Pro that I can send one or more audio tracks (or the output of a VEPro instance on a second slave being sent back to the host) of a project that also uses the new MIR Pro plugin directly to MIR (avoiding sequencer output-MIR input-MIr output-sequencer input)... rather like a effect plugin so to speak? 

• Don't worry about it. Lot's of insecure people around. [;)]

Regarding the audio input issue, this is not currently  possible with either VE Pro (in server mode) or MIR, so you're missing nothing. As far as MIR Pro is concerned I'm also relying on this feature, without knowing anything about it, so unless Dietz is prepared to spill the beans we're all out of luck for the time being.

DG 

• Once you try Mac, you never go back [H] (I wonder why they never used this in advertisements...)

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

Once you try Mac, you never go back (I wonder why they never used this in advertisements...)

Not for me. I was on Mac until 2004. Every time I do a studio upgrade I look at the pros and cons (the beauty of using cross-platform software) and make a decision. Even if I thought that Windows was ugly (which I do, but only with Aero switched on), the performance differential is so huge that OSX isn't an option for me. I also think that aesthetics are really personal, and personally I hate the look of OSX and Aero...! [;)]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

the performance differential is so huge that OSX isn't an option for me. I also think that aesthetics are really personal, and personally I hate the look of OSX and Aero...!

I think you're blind or in a very small minority to challenge the Apple aesthetics as a Microsoft user. No PC owner I ever knew, during all incarnations of Windows and Mac OS has ever claimed superiority of PC aesthetics over Apple's; actually, even if they insist on using Windows for one reason or other, they always lament the absence of the sheer beauty offered by Apple. Let's also not address in detail who has been copying who GUI-wise all these years (poorly)...

However, let's say that the above remains in the eye of the beholder. I would like to ask you to comment on your point regarding the "performance differential that is so huge" between the best that both worlds have to offer. Since I have never claimed any 'techie' awards for myself, I'd like to know why that is the case. Your wording makes it sound as if there is no comparison between the two, and about that I certainly want to know. Does it only have to do with the amount of RAM currently accessible to Windows users, or is there more?

• (For the sake of easy reading - please open a seperate thread for the PC vs. Mac dabate. Thanks a lot.)

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

the performance differential is so huge that OSX isn't an option for me. I also think that aesthetics are really personal, and personally I hate the look of OSX and Aero...!

However, let's say that the above remains in the eye of the beholder. I would like to ask you to comment on your point regarding the "performance differential that is so huge" between the best that both worlds have to offer. Since I have never claimed any 'techie' awards for myself, I'd like to know why that is the case. Your wording makes it sound as if there is no comparison between the two, and about that I certainly want to know. Does it only have to do with the amount of RAM currently accessible to Windows users, or is there more?

The Holy Grail for Virtual Instrument users is performance at low latency. There are various tweaks that can be done at a BIOS level that have no equivalent on a Mac. this is why Logic can perform better on a hackintosk than on a similar Apple machine. We then have the OS to deal with. Again things can be turned off in Windows to improve performance, and the general OS is faster as well. When you add these things together there is a really large performance differential between Windows and OSX.

However, if you don't need to work at low latencies, for example if most of your work is not played live or you are mainly mixing, then the benefits are less, because there is no longer any need to work at a low buffer.

There are some illuminating comparisons and graphs available on www.dawbench.com if you are interested.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

(For the sake of easy reading - please open a seperate thread for the PC vs. Mac dabate. Thanks a lot.)

Dietz, I don't think there is any debate necessary. You either like the look of one operating system or the other. As far as performance is concerned the benchmarks speak for themselves.

DG