Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,897 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,944 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• I agree with that.  If VSL/MIR are really doing the most convincing mockups possible right now, it's not coming across in the demos I have heard.

And from what I've heard I'd also agree that the brass and wind instruments seem more convincing than the strings.

• last edited
    last edited

@Sergino Futurino said:

I think that every man prefer a beatiful girl instead of a video of her , even if is a 3D movie.

For a moment there I thought I read "I think that every man prefers a beautiful girl instead of the wife he got"...

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life

Never make a pretty woman your wife!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MM1BosdmYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MM1BosdmY

• I've used VSL Strings for almost 6 years now, up until the point I got LA Scoring Strings. Over the last few projects I found myself replacing my VSL strings completely, with the exception of sordinos and there legato articulation. With that said, VSL Strings did there job exceptionally over the years, but until they offer proper divisi options I'll be with LASS. Am alone on this one? Any LASS users on here?

• last edited
    last edited

@Sami said:

I've used VSL Strings for almost 6 years now, up until the point I got LA Scoring Strings. Over the last few projects I found myself replacing my VSL strings completely, with the exception of sordinos and there legato articulation. With that said, VSL Strings did there job exceptionally over the years, but until they offer proper divisi options I'll be with LASS. Am alone on this one? Any LASS users on here?

I have actually considered buying them.  Do you find them easy to work with?  How do you find the sound quality of them compared to your current libraries?

• last edited
    last edited

@Sami said:

I've used VSL Strings for almost 6 years now

Hi Sami,

which VSL string products are referring to? I couldn't find any strings registered on your account.

best

Herb

• To answer your question Inspector Gadget, I mean Herb, I'm part of a production company that own just about every significant sample library known to man, everything under my account is my own personal collection. I don't want to say anymore about LASS without looking like I'm promoting there product on here, but I think I've made my point. There are plenty of reviews and demos out there, listen and compare for yourself. Again, not to say VSL Strings aren't awesome.

• I suspect why Herb posted the question is that VSL instruments are licensed to individuals for use in their own compositions/productions.

So I guess it would be outside the scope of the licence for an individual to purchase a VSL licence then for other composer/engineers to use it even within the same production facility!

Which leads on to.... if you're using the VSL strings not licenced to you (maybe it's different if you're a programmer for a composer with a licence) then someone's not playing ball.

Julian

• Indeed.

• "Indeed" - "sami"

What the hell is that supposed to mean?  That you stole the VSL library?  You must have, since by your posts you indicate you are a real jerk with no respect for your superiors. 

BTW, you do not know what the hell you are talking about.  The LASS may have better "auto-divisi" than VSL, but they don't compare to VSL in basic sound and musical quality at all.  So you can do divided but mediocre strings with that library.  go for it!

There was a guy on here previously who said concerning VSL solo strings -  "give us poorer sound quality but looped."  Which goes to show - along with your post  - that what Nietzsche predicted about the increasing democratization of society resulting in idiots being given equal voice to rulers and geniuses has already taken place - on the internet.  I congratulate you for your achievement in proving him right.

• Lol dang this guy is sensitive. First of all, go to my site www.adventmp.com and tell me if I look like I need to steal ANYTHING, let alone spend a few grand on a library. I simply wasn't willing to dignify either of Herb's or Julian's comments, with all due respect. Second of all, your reference to democratization is remedial. I'm simply giving an opinion on a product, you can agree or disagree, why take it personal? I'll reiterate; VSL Strings sound great, amazing, incredible... But I moved on to something new and in my opinion, better. Now whether it be from a technical or sonic stand point, is where we can talk. Because technically I think LASS is superior. Sonically, since that is completely subjective I can understand your disagreement. I've only had a few posts on these forums and I'm already being called a jerk, unexpected from what I imagined would be an open and diverse community like VSL. Anyway, if anyone would like to go back to the subject of strings, awesome. If anyone would like to talk about me some more, we can do that elsewhere, or even better, contact me directly.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

You will not dignify the post by Herb - THE CREATOR OF VSL? 

You are the LOL. 

You have not moved on to something better - you have proved yourself to know nothing about sampling.  And also - you are almost certainly a shill for LASS.  What is it?  Are you trying to get a gig with them?  Probably.   Because I doubt you are the head of a major company, though you have the arrogance to insult one.  But anyone who prefers the LASS library to the VSL strings consisting in full array of Solo, Chamber, Orchestral and Appassionata is either 1) Brain-dead or 2) Shill.

Yeah OK.

And Herb, I'm probably one of your most original fans so I have all the respect for you. But when one's integrity is questioned on an open forum, I doubt there can be much of positivity in the response.

• William, you forget your meds or just having a bad day? I happen to prefer LASS to VSL for a number of things. Quite a few VSL users I know feel the same. Doesn't make VSL bad, just preferred in some situations. I still use VSL all the time, but I also use LASS. 

I guess that makes us all shills, because I don't think any of us are brain dead. Although sometimes I wonder if you are when you go off like that. 

• Yeah the dude has issues, you'd think he created the library himself from sweat and tears. So back to the subject, Tripit what would you want to see out of VSL Strings that would make it king?

•  Sami, don't beat me, but I can't help finding mistakes and typos:

This the first sentence I read in your web site:

We are not afraid to harness this great stuido for unprecedented styles and quality of music.

• last edited
    last edited

@Sami said:

Anyway, if anyone would like to go back to the subject of strings, awesome.

Well, here's my 2 pence [I'm from England!] for what it's worth...

Sami, when you say and believe that "...sonically, since that is completely subjective, I can understand your disagreement", then why even join in with the thread in the first place!

Of course people are going to disagree with you - they listned to all the demo's and found VSL to be the best to their ears, so if you come to a VSL forum, don't think they are gonna be talking about how amazing OTHER libraries are!  [:D]

Personally, I'm looking to stay away from that 'Hollywood' film sound. I don't get paid for the things I compose, it's purely to compose pieces in a classical style and learn musical scoring and composition. After listening through all of the demo's I decided that VSL was the best sound for my needs. And I still  believe this 110%, to my ears they sound far and above other libraries.

And besides, I use Sibelius, which doesn't allow me to use divisi anyhoo!! [:(] booohoo! [:)]

Sami - you like the technical side of LASS and their sound, fab. I happen to prefer VSL, fab again.

Life is too short to be on forums arguing about this - get out there and get composing!!

x

• Thanks for the heads up Sergino.

Knievel, like you said I was just putting in my two cents. Although I agree with you, I certainly didn't expect to have someone spaz out like william did. Guess VSL's quality created some die hard fans out there. I don't blame them. Let me add that I do get paid to score, it is my only job. I've had countless sessions at the studio with live strings, albeit smaller sections, so I have a pretty good idea what a section should sound like in a room, in the project, and in the final mix. I'm not going to come into these forums and risk sounding like a "shill" like spazoid said for no good reason. Ultimately VSL is my favorite library, VSL Appassionata Strings, Woodwinds and Brass are absolutely unmatched in my opinion.

• Jeez, this thread sure stirs up some hot and passionate feelings. I think someone needs to think twice before hitting the post-button...

• last edited
    last edited

@Sami said:

To answer your question Inspector Gadget, I mean Herb, I'm part of a production company that own just about every significant sample library known to man...    Let me add that I do get paid to score, it is my only job. I've had countless sessions at the studio with live strings, albeit smaller sections, so I have a pretty good idea what a section should sound like in a room, in the project, and in the final mix. I'm not going to come into these forums and risk sounding like a "shill" like spazoid said for no good reason.

Sir : 

You have insulted the owner of VSL, and myself.  I demand satisfaction.

I forthwith challenge you to a duel.

Name your weapon.  I assume you will use the feeble little limp pistols of LASS.  They suit your anatomy, I am sure, you sniveling hermaphrodite. I of course will take up the huge heavy artillery and nuclear weaponry of VSL strings which are far more appropriate to mine. 

You shall perform a MIDI rendition of a Bach Chorale.  Any of your choice.  I will do the same chorale, and both shall be posted here.  All are readily available on the internet for your filthy perusal, you slobbering dog.

I assure you, my good sir, you will be destroyed by my MIDI.  Your attempts at MIDI performance are most certainly comparable to the clumsy pawings of a pampered, powdered poodle at a toy keyboard.  You do not exist on the same dimensional plane as a true MIDI performer, but are kin to the vermin which crawl through the sewers of Paris or the sewage treatment plants of Reno (far worse).  I advise you to bow out of this duel immediately, by protesting that you are too busy with important scoring jobs, etc.  Then you will reveal yourself to be the wretched coward I say here and now that you are. 

HAVE AT YOU!

•  There goes the neighbourhood...

Aren't there basic rules about conduct for this forum?

Perhaps it's good to send a reminder before organpipes become airborne, oboes are stuffed down people's throats, and people get strung up with the strings of the first violins, whether they be LASS's or VSL's strings...

• Lol, I hope your music is better than your style William. And your advise is certainly not taken lightly, for I am most certainly too busy. Even with two engineers, a programmer and an intern I still can't keep up. After all, running a state of the art production facility could be demanding on a 26 year old like me.For the THIRD time, stop misusing these forums and contact me personally. Just go to my site, you'll find my contact info there. And while you're there, please be sure to read my bio and resume, just so you know what your up against. Or even better, if you happen to be in the LA/Orange County area, you're more than welcome to come tour the studio. Just call in and my receptionist will schedule you in. Can we get back to the subject now?