Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

188,678 users have contributed to 42,622 threads and 256,577 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 28 new post(s) and 44 new user(s).

• Hello, Lubo.

Here's what I have going on:

Notion3, latest update, using Vienna Instruments (not VE Pro) Saxes AATTB, Fl I, Fl II, Oboe (Vienna) Bb Clarinet, and Bassoon, with articulations from the Download versions of each instrument.  Everything plays and sounds fine, until I use one or both of the flutes.  Then, I hear what sounds like crackling you might hear when an instrument red-lines, which is not indicated on the mixer.  Eventually, the playback will freeze for a couple of minutes, then continue with stuck notes until I restart the piece.

I'm wondering if I have reached already some kind of limit for my computer system (in my signature). I'd like to see if anyone knows about this kind of thing occurring in any other setup.

Thanks

• Hi Johan,

I tried recreating the problem here but it worked fine for me. Here is what I did:

1. Inserted a Violins I preset in the score

2. Clicked on Violins I and hit Shift+I to bring up the Shift Instrument Dialog

3. Clicked on the New Instrument button

4. Chose a Flute and hit OK

5. Back in the Shift  Instrument dialog I selected Voice 2 for the flute and l;eft it on default channel and hit OK

Both instruments were playing correctly - the violins were triggered on voice 1 and voice 2 triggered flute notes.

Are you not getting the same result if you follow the steps above?

Lubo Astinov

• last edited
    last edited

@dayadon said:

Hello, Lubo.

Here's what I have going on:

Notion3, latest update, using Vienna Instruments (not VE Pro) Saxes AATTB, Fl I, Fl II, Oboe (Vienna) Bb Clarinet, and Bassoon, with articulations from the Download versions of each instrument.  Everything plays and sounds fine, until I use one or both of the flutes.  Then, I hear what sounds like crackling you might hear when an instrument red-lines, which is not indicated on the mixer.  Eventually, the playback will freeze for a couple of minutes, then continue with stuck notes until I restart the piece.

I'm wondering if I have reached already some kind of limit for my computer system (in my signature). I'd like to see if anyone knows about this kind of thing occurring in any other setup.

Thanks

You could be reaching the app limit yes. What I would recommend is save those .fxp presets that you have in the VI instances and use a custom VE preset with assigned channels but make sure you run the 64-bit server first.

Hope that helps..

Lubo Astinov

• 64 bit again… !

Lubo,

You have to understand that your team have created the best way to
    use Writing Music Software in conjunction with Instrument plugin" (especially VSL)

The beauty of both N3 and SLE is that a Musician Composer can create score and
    without any other manipulation be Instantly connected to the right play back instrument.
    It is a real revolution about Music software.
    (personally I'm dreaming about that for 20 years)

Your answer to mac user to use VE Pro the ONLY 64bit VSL software (on Mac)  is
    one solution (not the best) much more complicated than the Right solution…!

As Mac user I would like to push you and your TEAM insisting to VSL to
    make VI and VE 64bit on Mac AVAILABLE as soon as possible !

The fact to have Both VI and VE Mac 64bit will certainly have positiv effects on

both N3 and VSL products to become the BEST music join venture in the world.

I'm sure that other Mac users will agree with my comment...

This is  the opinion of a Composer Musician (not technician)

Thanks for help.

Sincerely yours

Alain LeBlond
    Composer born in 1957

• Thank you Lubo. MY ERROR was not going to VOICE 2. I didn't read that anywhere in the instructions, so I thought that the "new instrument" was a replacement on VOICE 1. I can see now that going to VOICE 2 makes sense. Will try this and I'm sure it will work. Thank you so much for your expert help Lubo. Johann

• Thanks Alain,

Rest assured getting to 64 bit is high on our priorities list. Thank you for your kind words!

Lubo Astinov

• last edited
    last edited

@Johann said:

Thank you Lubo. MY ERROR was not going to VOICE 2. I didn't read that anywhere in the instructions, so I thought that the "new instrument" was a replacement on VOICE 1. I can see now that going to VOICE 2 makes sense. Will try this and I'm sure it will work. Thank you so much for your expert help Lubo. Johann

Johan,

Glad I could help.

Enjoy writing music with your VSL and NOTION

Lubo Astinov

•  Hi Lubo,

Tonight, i encountered something strange , when i tryied to make Chamber strings playing Bartok pizz, the usual sign wasn't working , I tryied to know if the 2 others worked , yes for the harmonic sign , and the cut circle gave me the Bartok pizz that sound like a col legno, which, as you know, isn't the same ...

What to do ???

Thank You

• Hi Lubo,

Notion is really great, and I intend to buy notion 3, but i'm also a sibelius user, and to be honest, to me ideally, i would use sib to edit the score and use it with notion for the realization of the same. But as you must know sibelius does not export Musicxml, and the dolet plugin is really expensive. I found sibtoly that is a free plugin, but exports plain xml and not musicxml. Do you know any other way to do it ( i know you can export midi, but you loose to much information and would not be practical if you are going back and forward with sibelius).

Thanks so mush 

Nuno

• Hi Lubo: I'm having the same problem that Dennis (Dayadon) is having. I have 8 total instruments loaded on my Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz computer with 4 GB of RAM and I'm hearing "crackling" sounds also. My Mac "Activity Monitor" says my CPU is using about 50%. Also, when I went through the exercise of "changing the name of an instrument," my computer crashed more than 5 times when clicking on the icon that brings up the dialog box for changing instrument names. Seems like NOTION SLE is a very touchy program. I first research the procedure for what I want to do; then, when carrying out some of the steps, the program automatically just quits. Takes awhile to reboot. Will keep trying to make it work. Meanwhile, I ordered NOTION3. I want to work with the London Symphony for awhile to see if it is any different than working with VSL in NOTION SLE. Johann

• last edited
    last edited

@Pro-Arte said:

Hi Lubo,

Tonight, i encountered something strange , when i tryied to make Chamber strings playing Bartok pizz, the usual sign wasn't working , I tryied to know if the 2 others worked , yes for the harmonic sign , and the cut circle gave me the Bartok pizz that sound like a col legno, which, as you know, isn't the same ...

What to do ???

Thank You

Hi Pro-Arte,

The Bartok pizz being triggered by the cut cirlce is a known bug and will be fixed in the next release of SLE.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov

• last edited
    last edited

@nuno_estrela5 said:

Hi Lubo,

Notion is really great, and I intend to buy notion 3, but i'm also a sibelius user, and to be honest, to me ideally, i would use sib to edit the score and use it with notion for the realization of the same. But as you must know sibelius does not export Musicxml, and the dolet plugin is really expensive. I found sibtoly that is a free plugin, but exports plain xml and not musicxml. Do you know any other way to do it ( i know you can export midi, but you loose to much information and would not be practical if you are going back and forward with sibelius).

Thanks so mush 

Nuno

Hi Nuno,

I wish I could give you a good solution, but right now Sibelius doesn't offer a free MusicXML exporter and I don't know if there is one. What I would do is probably work the other way around - create your score in NOTION first for the performance you want, and then export a MusicXML file out to Sibelius to finish your score.

NOTION3 gives you MusicXML import and Export without the need of purchasing third-party plugins.

Hope this helps.

Lubo Astinov

• last edited
    last edited

@Johann said:

Hi Lubo: I'm having the same problem that Dennis (Dayadon) is having. I have 8 total instruments loaded on my Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz computer with 4 GB of RAM and I'm hearing "crackling" sounds also. My Mac "Activity Monitor" says my CPU is using about 50%. Also, when I went through the exercise of "changing the name of an instrument," my computer crashed more than 5 times when clicking on the icon that brings up the dialog box for changing instrument names. Seems like NOTION SLE is a very touchy program. I first research the procedure for what I want to do; then, when carrying out some of the steps, the program automatically just quits. Takes awhile to reboot. Will keep trying to make it work. Meanwhile, I ordered NOTION3. I want to work with the London Symphony for awhile to see if it is any different than working with VSL in NOTION SLE. Johann

Hi Johan,

For the first problem - the crackling etc, I would again recommend that if you are building a large score the best route to go is with the VE PRO Custom presets, or simply use the Full Score Template (the one with 4 instances of VE PRO) and start the 64 bit server first. Then connect each instance to the 64 bit server and you should be fine.

For the crashes - I haven't been able to reproduce them at all here, I'm changing instrument names both through score setup and with double-clicking etc. Best way for me to help would be if you could send me a score which you know crashes and I can try it out.

One suggestion I can think of is - try changing your keyboard layout to English, if its not already in that mode. Another is - make sure both VI and VE are using the latest official builds.Also - did you get a crash report? Did you send those to us?

Just send me the score and let me have a look.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov

•  Thank You Lubo ,

by the way, what cut circle is supposed to do ?[:$]

P-A

• Lubo,

Same question as P.A.

Articulation:

Circle = Harmonic,

Cut circle = (suppose to trigger what?)

Semi-cut Circle = Bartok Pizz

Thanks

Alain

• Hi Lubo: I sent the score to you in the form of a "reply" to your email. Maybe it won't get to you this way. I can't see any way to ATTACH a file to an email when replying to a message in the NOTION SLE thread. My score is NOT LARGE. Only 4 Strs and 4 WWs. I am working at 32 bit only with Mac OS X 10.4.11. Will research how to change keyboard layout to English. Didn't know that was a requirement. And, I'm only using Vienna Instruments Special Edition (standard). I don't have the "extended" version yet. Also, I don't use Vienna Ensemble. The crash reports I get say they are returned to an Apple location. Didn't know they automatically went back to you at NOTION SLE at the VSL website. If the score doesn't reach you, I will mail it to your email address. Thank you, Johann

• Hi Lubo

I am trying to get Notion SLE to act as a rewire slave to Logic 8. I have enabled rewire in the preferences. I made sure that I opened Logic first.

I then tried to create a new aux strip, but when i choose an input, Notion SLE isn't there as rewire option. Can you help please?

Jonathan

•  Hi - I purchased Notion SLE . Very nice product. However, I cannot see any reference to (preset?) the Appassionata strings that come with the VI Special Edition Extended Library. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Patrick

• last edited
    last edited

@Jonathan Price said:

Hi Lubo

I am trying to get Notion SLE to act as a rewire slave to Logic 8. I have enabled rewire in the preferences. I made sure that I opened Logic first.

I then tried to create a new aux strip, but when i choose an input, Notion SLE isn't there as rewire option. Can you help please?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Sometimes some permissions issues have prevented the NOTION rewire bundle being copied. This may be the cause for the problem.

Try this for a solution: Go to Applications, right click on NOTION SLE and choose Show Package Info. Then go to Contents/MacOS and copy the Notion Device.bundle file. Then paste this file in [main HD]Library/Application Support/PropellerHead Software/ReWire

Restart both apps and this should fix it.

Lubo Astinov

• Hi Patrick,

The Appassionata patches are not the full set (basically a 'bonus' content) and if I remember correctly they only had the sustain and staccato samples. This is why they don't have a dedicated preset.

However, if you would like to use the staccato's and sustains from the Appassionata, you could simply open up the VI interface and drag them over the existing sustain and staccato assignments in the matrix.

Hope that helps!

Lubo Astinov