Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,119 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• Hi Alain,

Yes, NOTION3 works with VE PRO x64 bit, and we have a nice tutorial on that. We also plan on supporting any future VI and VE releases.

Thank you,

Lubo Astinov

• Lubo,

WONDERFUL !!!

Thanks

Alain

• Hi Lubo

Fantastic product!! I too am having trouble getting my notated articulations to sound correct. For example, if I imput a melody on epic horns for example in realtime in quarter notes, and then place slurs over the notes they still sound the same? Do I need to tidy up my note lengths first or am I missing something! I would love a way to make the notes sound legato, as VSL has that fantastic legato articulation.

Many thanks

Jonathan Price

• Hi Jonathan,

Thanks! Yes you need to make sure the notes are connected to hear the legato sound. This is best done using the sequencer overlay feature (hit TAB) and drag the note ends/starts to ensure they are connected.

You will find that if you use Step Time or pure notation and then put a slur, you wont have to do any of that.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more assistance.

Lubo Astinov

• Hi Lubo

Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated.

While you are available, can I just ask you one more unrelated question? I have created a melody for solo violin in Logic which I would like to import into Notion as a midi file. I have tried this; however when I do, it has removed all information regarding the key signature, which if I am honest, I expected it to. So, when i look at the score, it is full of accidentals.

My assumption was that if I changed the key signature, it would remove all the excess accidentals from the staff. It doesn't. How do i get over this problem? Additionally, notion has removed ties, and replace them with double dotted notes. How do I change this back? Is it a preferences issue.

Sorry to barrage you with questions, but I need to resolve these issues.

Thanks

Jonathan

• Hi Lubo

I apologise, I have made a slight mistake. Let me give you a little more detail. The melody I have written in Logic is in Eb Minor (6 flats). I am converting that region into a midi file and then opening up a new score in Notion by importing it. When I do, the staff has no key signature and, as you would expect, the melody is overflowing with accidentals. When I change key to Eb Minor and drag the 6 flats onto the staff, the accidentals DO change. This was my mistake. However what made me think they didn't (due to not looking closely enough!) was that all the G flats, were being notated as sharpened F's, and similarly the C flats's were being shown as naturalised B's. This although technically correct, is an illogical way to notate the melody. 

Am I able to get around this problem? 

Thanks

Jonathan

P.s. My problem regarding the ties still stands.

• Hello Lubo and everyone,

I'd like to know if there is someone who use rewire to link Notion SLE and Nuendo 4, or viceversa, under Windows XP?

I'm not able to do it and I'd like to know if it is an specific issue of my system.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

Paco Monge.

• Hi Paco,

I dont have Nuendo, but I have ReWired SLE into Cubase4. Since they are closely related, I would imagine they would have to both work. I'm not sure what the problem might be, but I'd start with updating ReWire and Nuendo and making sure both apps run in 32 bit mode etc...

Sorry I'm not of much help, did you try the steinberg forums ?

Lubo Astinov

• Hi Jonathan,

You can do several things - you can use the Enharmonic tool to correct the notes (Shift+E), you could click-select the note and use Shift+Up or Down arrow - this will give you chromatic transposition and you can move the note up or down untill you get the right pitch, or you can try Transposing the passage to another key (like A Minor) and then transpose it back to Eb minor (not sure how this will go, but just a suggestion to try).

However, another idea is to avoid the MIDI route all together. I'm not sure about Logic, but I know Cubase supports MusicXML export. If Logic does, I'd highyl recommend using MusicXML files because the level of accuracy is much higher (this is true for any scoring application, not just NOTION). This will also solve the tie issue...

Hope this works out.

Lubo Astinov

•  Thanks Lubo,

I will give it a try. I think logic does support MusicXML. Great suggestions. I will let you know how it works.

Thanks

Jonathan

• Lubo,

Hi

I see that both Perf-rep staccato and Perf-rep legato sound are already in the N3 SE Presets.

So, Do N3 actually use those sound or will use?

For now when writing repeated staccatos it looks that N3 only use standard Staccato sound.

Is there way to make N3 using Perf-rep sound.

Thanks

Again,

more I use N3 more I love that...

N3 is GREAT

Alain

• Hey there Alain,

Yes we do plan on supporting those, perf-rep staccato will be easier , we will find some of way of incorporating the perf-rep legato as well.

Those will come in future updates, yes :)

Lubo Astinov

• Wow...

I just download the N3 last update...

The new palette presentation and features is simply Wonderful !

Dreaming or opening existing files is faster ?

Eager to see next updates...

i iiii iiiiii ....

Alain

•  Alain got me curious with his enthusiasm.  So is there no "new" Palette or even update available for Notion SLE user yet?

• It hurts to say this but since I bought the VSL Special Edition, I have had many problems with Notion. The files that have VSL sounds won't even open so I can change them back to N3 sounds. I almost wish I didn't spend the $900 plus. In my opinion THE N3 sounds are as good as the VSL sounds. I am kind of at a loss here. If anyone can help me please respond. Thanks - Tony

• Hi Yanick,

An update for SLE will be released soon as well. The change in the palette is basically moving the expressions from the second row, into a dedicated category on the top row :)

Lubo Astinov

• Hi Anthony,

I'm more than happy to help. I'll need some more information first...

"The files that have VSL sounds won't even open so I can change them back to N3 sounds"

Which files are you refering to ? In NOTION3 or SLE ? NOTION3 doesn't have a any files that have VSL sounds. If you mean the presets they are in score setup. I will need some more details here.

"I almost wish I didn't spend the $900 plus"

Special Edition is a fantastic library, I really think once we sort your problems out you will see how gorgeous it can sound. I assure you you made a very good choice by purchasing it.

Let me know what are the problems you are running into and I'll do my best to help. The best thing is to explain the issue step-by-step and what your desired outcome is vs. the actual issue.

Thanks.

Lubo Astinov

• Dear Lubo,
    I have a little problem... I transfered a midi file in notion,it is a string orchestra composition, everythings were Masterhanded (lol )
    but i couldn't group the whole composition with barline group, it have no effect on the composing...
    I sent to you a copy of the file in a notion file , can you have a look ???
    thank you

• Hi Pro-Arte,

When did you send me the Email? I think I haven't received it or it may have gone in the spam folder by mistake.

Anyway, Try selecting the whole score and then going to Staff Groups - Make Barline Group. This should group the entire score.

Let me know if it works

Lubo Astinov

• Lubo: I have been testing "changing an instrument" on the same staff. My findings to date are: 1. The program (NOTION SLE) quits most of the time when trying to click the instrument on the staff once it has been selected. 2. When it does work, if you play from the beginning (using the original instrument that was selected), the playback is "silent." In other words, once you select a "new" instrument down the line or further ahead on the same staff, the previous instrument does not playback when the cursor moves over its notes. Any help or advice appreciated. Johann