Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,554 users have contributed to 42,239 threads and 254,843 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• I know listen, I'm not trying to be combative don't take it the wrong way. Yes 290,000 is a lot that's fine but like I said Hollywood Strings has voer 1,000,000 that's literally 3-4 times more.

Ok so I invested $1,500+ not "thousands" and plan to invest more, but that has nothing to do with my point in fact it only strengthens my point because I WOULD have invested THOUSANDS if the prices were a little more market conscious. I would have easily purchased more articulations and appassionata libraries but due to the rigid pricing for THAT particular need I will unfortunately be going to LASS/HS.

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

saw a VSL rep state that there's 35,000 samples or whatnot and that justifies the price, well upcoming Hollywood Strings has 1,000,000+ samples

1.000.000 samples don't surprise so much.

I'm pretty sure, that the 24 bit and 16 bit version are counted twice and also the 5 different mike positions.

So in fact there will be are around 100.000 different performed samples, that's more or less the same amount of our solostrings library.

best

Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

Ok so I invested $1,500+ not "thousands"

sorry, then it seems something with your registrations is in disorder - the special edition standard library costs USD 465.-

christian

btw: i always thought the mozart avenue is in paris ....

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Sorry perhaps something with your memory seems to be in disorder. Special Edition was around $1,500 when I purchased it and you thereafter discounted it. Or what's wrong you don't remember your own prices? I'd say some VSL price history re-education courses are in order for you. It would behoove you to learn to research your own product a little more diligently so that you don't look like an ass.

• Please don't let the bickering with requiem take us off the point. I know he's with me, but he's fudging his facts a bit. I would just like it if you, VSL reps, would address my suggestion about extending the articulations for Special Edition customers without having to go up to the $9000 full jamboree. I think it is in VSL's interests, financially, and your customers' interests, musically, to make it happen, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks.

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

saw a VSL rep state that there's 35,000 samples or whatnot and that justifies the price, well upcoming Hollywood Strings has 1,000,000+ samples

1.000.000 samples don't surprise so much.

I'm pretty sure, that the 24 bit and 16 bit version are counted twice and also the 5 different mike positions.

So in fact there will be are around 100.000 different performed samples, that's more or less the same amount of our solostrings library.

best

Herb

Well now that's a respectful reply, is that so hard for "cm" to do? Either way, no need to get defensive these are just opinions we are stating. Perhaps we're wrong and your current market model is working supremely well and you're rolling in money and selling tons of Symphonic Cubes, I don't profess to know VSL's sales figures and in fact I hope they're high because as I said it's the highest quality sound lib in the world but all I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt to at least evaluate the CONCERNS of many of your constituents because this is a valid issue I've heard expressed many times on other forums as well.

Here's a simple sample formula:

String Package A costs $2000 and this is deemed too expensive by Customer A and Customer B, whereas Customer C is made of money and purchases it. VSL has now profited $2000.

Scenario 2: String Package A price drops to $1000. Suddenly Customer A makes the purchase, Customer B makes the purchase, and Customer C also makes the purchase. VSL is now $3000 richer. Simple really. Obviously you know all this, but I'm just trying to illustrate my point you have to stay realistic and re-evaluate the current world market and conditions as well. Most of the world is going through a depression/recession, old business models are no longer holding up and need to be re-invented. No one is going to be spending 10,000$ on a library when composers can't even get work right now.

Once again like I said, this is just food for thought, no need to get defensive CM it only reeks of insecurity. I'm not saying I'm right, you guys could be doing very well and then I'm happy for you, but if not then well guess what maybe it's time to re-evaluate the opinions of some of your customers on this topic.

• hm.... i just imagined such a discussion in a forum of a car manufacturer, like mercedes, in which people are frustrated that the top of the line S-class is just way more expensive than the cheapest car available. there should be no particular reason for mercedes to do that, because after all it is just another car... a little bigger, a little more technology in there, a little more effort... but still just a car that really doesnĀ“t do anything more than getting you from A to B.and than count the parts and come up with the argument that a comparable audi consists of even more single parts but costs less...

i would also like to have the big package, but i canĀ“t afford it right now and i have to live with the fact that i canĀ“t... as i have to live with the fact that i canĀ“t afford a villa, a porsche, a yacht... you name it... life is like that and i donĀ“t think that complaining at the manufacturer about the reason that you donĀ“t have the money to purchase their high-end product is an appropriate solution.

cheers

s.

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

something with your memory seems to be in disorder. Special Edition was around $1,500

now let us look at option two (something with your registration is in disorder):

- the special edition standard library at the time of purchase was USD 495.-

- i can see you ordered the full library for USD 1.170.-, but:

- you never registered and so never received a license for the extended library.

- i'll double check what happened to that serial number certificate to look less like an ass.

christian

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

no need to get defensive CM it only reeks of insecurity

i don't look at my reply as beeing defensive or reeking, it is just to put some figures into the right context.

i don't like so much to speak in terms of last or current or next generation or qualifying product A as good and product B as bad.

i agree there may be a gap between the special edition and the full strings package which (in your case) could be filled partly with the special edition PLUS' sample content - you could also extend only the strings section with the ORCHESTRA Special Edition Strings PLUS

for certain reasons there are no single instruments download products available , which again could extend the SE + SE PLUS like with the other instrument sections.

i think VSL has proven the concept is not the worst one could think of and the modular structure meets many user's needs. it would be sad if there wouldn't be some space for improvements.

christian

• Hello everybody, I never wanted to buy Vinna Instruments cause I had my eyes on other VSL Products ... on Christmas I bought 20 DL-Instruments. I love the Quality - especially of the Flute 1/ Flute Ensemble. But some Woodwinds and Brasses sound really stiff as they are. An example for an Instrument which frustrates me is the basset horn. I like the Sound - but without Vibrato-articluations .... uuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa .... that makes no fun. I wouldn't buy the big packages because I just don't need all the Instruments. But I would love to upgrade to these Instruments that I have :-D The reason for this is why I decided not to go to East West but to VSL: I'm focussing on the Choir an Vienna MIR Pro. Really: I din't have the purpose to buy Orchestral Instruments at first. So what is my massage? I would love the way that everybody has the chance to upgrade exactly the Instuments he wants to use. Think of the people who are mainly interested in Choir, VEPro, MIR ... and of course ... the World Library. A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE THE YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT IS THE TRUMPET (Bb). It was my first Download Intrument and I got it for free :-D cause I bought VEPro and your PlugIns. It sounds beautiful and gives the Player all that he awaits of flexibility. Greetings Lars

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

no need to get defensive CM it only reeks of insecurity

i don't look at my reply as beeing defensive or reeking, it is just to put some figures into the right context.

i don't like so much to speak in terms of last or current or next generation or qualifying product A as good and product B as bad.

i agree there may be a gap between the special edition and the full strings package which (in your case) could be filled partly with the special edition PLUS' sample content - you could also extend only the strings section with the ORCHESTRA Special Edition Strings PLUS

for certain reasons there are no single instruments download products available , which again could extend the SE + SE PLUS like with the other instrument sections.

i think VSL has proven the concept is not the worst one could think of and the modular structure meets many user's needs. it would be sad if there wouldn't be some space for improvements.

christian

I agree that the 'modular' concept model is in fact the best ever invented (whether it was invented by you guys or whomever else) because it allows us the customers the freedom to pick and choose what is right for US. However as others have pointed out perhaps if the modular concept would be expanded to allow even more specific choices for people who want certain things but not certain other things, etc, then maybe the model will be even more successful. As you can see by the responses here, which represent only a small amount of the vast sea of voices that I've heard mention this before on other forums, there are many people that would upgrade certain articulations etc if they could do so without paying huge amounts of money and having to purchase other things that they won't use, etc.

• last edited
    last edited

@requiem_aeternam7 said:

something with your memory seems to be in disorder. Special Edition was around $1,500

now let us look at option two (something with your registration is in disorder):

- the special edition standard library at the time of purchase was USD 495.-

- i can see you ordered the full library for USD 1.170.-, but:

- you never registered and so never received a license for the extended library.

- i'll double check what happened to that serial number certificate to look less like an ass.

christian

I'll be honest, all these different library names confuse the hell out of me. I don't even recall what it is that I ordered I just know that it was in that $1000+ price range and NOT 400$+

I have had a demo key of 100 some-odd starts for what I THINK is the extended edition. This 'demo' key just ran out about 3 days ago to my knowledge. It's all really confusing to me but are you telling me that I should have the full 'extended edition' key rather than just the demo key for a certain amount of starts? If that's the case then please don't hesitate to send me the new full key. [H]

• last edited
    last edited

you should have received 2008-05-22 (alongside with your special edition box) a serial number certificate with a serial number for the extended library.

i have already contacted the distributor who sent you the box and asked to double check on this issue before sending you a copy from our side - we are sorry if this sheet of paper didn't reach your desk properly.

for security and in case i don't hear back from them within the next few hours i've sent you a demo mode #2 code to allow you continuing your work.

christian

edit: please do not forget no vsldaemon must be running when adding the demo license (or any license), in doubt reboot before and watch the message after successful license download asking *start usage period now?*

• Ah..I think I finally understand what you're saying (sorry all this is confusing as all hell to me).

I'm checking in my vienna box now, I only have one 18 character serial number. I'm assuming this is for standard edition. So the one for "extended edition" you're saying is what I never received? I don't see any other one. Luckily I guess I don't compose that often because after almost 2 years extended edition only JUST expired its demo mode a couple days ago (yesterday I think) LOL! So, then that means I still need to receive an extended edition separate new license from you folks?

-Thanks

• Would a Vienna rep care to address my concerns?

• to dig the opening post up again ... the answer was maybe buried between the lines:

for certain reasons there are no single instruments downloads of the strings section as with the other instrument groups (flutes & reeds, clarinets & bassoons, ect).

those single instrument download products extend the articulations of the special edition, but do still not provide the full content of the larger DVD collections ... how could they.

currently there are no plans to release solo/chamber/orchestral/appassionata violins/violas/celli/bassi single instrument download products, sorry.

christian

• last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

to dig the opening post up again ... the answer was maybe buried between the lines:

for certain reasons there are no single instruments downloads of the strings section as with the other instrument groups (flutes & reeds, clarinets & bassoons, ect).

those single instrument download products extend the articulations of the special edition, but do still not provide the full content of the larger DVD collections ... how could they.

currently there are no plans to release solo/chamber/orchestral/appassionata violins/violas/celli/bassi single instrument download products, sorry.

christian

Thanks for the reply, but you must've misread what I was advocating. I'm talking about a Special Edition extension pack -- probably in DVD form -- that adds a few more articulations to each instrument, particularly the strings (since the winds and brass are already very well represented)

• i think i've read your request right - for all sections (of the special edition) except the striings there are *extension packs* as single instrument download products.

such extensions are currently not planned to be released for the strings - sorry.

christian

• The thing is, what you're asking for seems to be an extremely specified a-la-carte' menu where you would be able to order exactly and only what you wanted. I mean, lets say they did release an extended version of things like what you are asking for. Okay, obviously, it wouldnt be "fair" to prior DVD customers for you to get the EXACT articulations that *I* have paid a buttload of money for... So instead, lets say they offered some sort of slimmed-down version of it.

Lets use Orch Strings1 as an example. Lets say they whittled it down to include many (but not ALL of  - as i mentioned earlier about "unfairness") of the Orch Strings 1  extended articulations... Lets say they offered a package which extended to you  Glissandi, Con Sordino, all the perf-repetitions, all the extra  dynamics patches, the fast perf-intervals, the scale runs, Fast Repetitions.. Lets call that the Bargain Extended Plus Orch Strings 1 package.

No matter how well this may suit exactly what you wanted, someone is going to come along and say "Why did you leave out the DYNAMIC Perf-repititions?!?! Why no Isolated Repetitions Resources?!?! Why can i get Fast Repetitions but no Upbeat Reps!!! NO FAIR!"

Then there would STILL be articulations that SOMEONE felt was unfairly left out and they would feel as if they are being strong-armed into buying the WHOLE DVD collection if they TRULY want everything. At what point do you draw the line of what is fair concerning how to cut everything up? I mean, taking your general request to the extreme, would you expect some sort of pick-and-choose system where one could specifically order a Performance Repetition Harsh Dynamics Decrescendo only for E5# only (3.99 USD)? One scale run on the Violin G string from D4 to D5 only (99 cents!) ? I'd like the Ponticello Strong Dynamics 2 Seconds for C3, E3 and F3 (1.99 USD per note = 5.97 total!)?

Im not trying to say you are implying such ridiculous dividing of  articulations, but at SOME point SOMEONE is going to insist they felt left out and are being discriminated against because of what they have already previously paid for. 

Simply put, VSL cant make a package that is 100% going to please EVERY single customer concerning every single articulation that they need.

• I'm not just talking about MY specific needs... the glaring hole in the special edition bundle is the lack of articulations that facilitate fast playing on all instruments. If there's anything to add, it's that. I'm sure most special edition customers who have pushed their bundle to the limits have noticed this as well. Presuming that the number of special editing buyers is large, there's significant demand to fill in the gaps. You can do it piece by piece with the winds and brass, but when it comes to the strings, your only option is to plunk down $9000, something that VERY few special edition customers can afford (I mean, if they could have, they probably would have bought the full bundle in the first place). The additional rub is that the $9000 is mostly spent on buying marginally higher quality versions of the SAME articulations that already come with the special edition bundle. But that's beside the point. As a satisfied customer who wants more strings, I find myself with nothing left to buy (unless I win the lottery). I think that's a failure on the part of VSL. I think the best solution would be ~$1000 DVD package that serves as "special edition plus plus." But CM has shot this down, either because their sales figures don't support my assertions, or because they don't want to piss off anyone who spent $9000 for all the strings, or because they are making a business mistake. Whatever the reason, it's a shame. I hope I've made my opinion clear now.