Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,374 users have contributed to 42,295 threads and 255,060 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• I did the upate but can't get PLAY to load up - I get the "Libraries missing" dialog or whatever, then click "OK", then get the big white recatangle with the "Some of the Play components are missing" text.  I've seen that problem listed elsewhere but haven't seen a fix.  I'm on Vista 64 and the problem is the same in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VE Pro.

Did anybody else encounter this problem then figure out a fix?

Thanks,

rgames

• Richard - this is exactly what I encountered UNTIL I set up on that x64 machine as a new 'adminstrator' - (in x64 - go to control panels/user accounts -  (my name and password.)  Now first thing in the day when I turn on PC -  I have to 'log on' - from there it now works for me.  Again  - this is on an x64 PC.  

Rob

• last edited
    last edited

@rgames said:

I did the upate but can't get PLAY to load up - I get the "Libraries missing" dialog or whatever, then click "OK", then get the big white recatangle with the "Some of the Play components are missing" text.  I've seen that problem listed elsewhere but haven't seen a fix.  I'm on Vista 64 and the problem is the same in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of VE Pro.

Did anybody else encounter this problem then figure out a fix?

Thanks,

rgames

Richard,

I use this on Vista64.  Simply load up as many instances of Play you want in VE Pro.  Ignore the errors and the graphical corruption.  But don't load up any instruments.  Save the project.  Close the project and then reopen it.  All of your Play instances will load up normally and then you can actually add the instruments.  After this save and it will reopen fine with instruments loaded.

Works everytime for me.

Brian

• OK - works like a charm on the 32-bit server but not the 64-bit.  On the 64-bit server I get the same errors.

Good enough for now - thanks for the help!

rgames

<EDIT> - OK, not quite a charm.  I discovered that I have to go through the above process every time I boot.  In other words, when I start from a cold boot, I can't just re-load the .viframe project, I have to re-create it using the process you described.  If I just re-load it, I can see the PLAY interface but it crashes as soon as it receives MIDI data from the host.  If I start from scratch and re-create the .viframe project file, it works fine (so far - limited testing).

• Don't know what to tell you.  I use the 64-bit server exclusively and Play 64 and can reload the .virframe Play projects no problem.  Sorry.

•  It's also working well for me (at least loading and playback wise, I'm having other issues) on Vista 64, 64bit server.  I did have this error once though and it was opening a vframe on the 64bit server that was originally built on the 32bit server.  Turning off UAC was one of the first things I did when building this system, maybe that will make a difference if you haven't already done so.

• Any guesses as to how much more time the official VE-Pro update that will fix the PLAY issue will take ?  

Another week ?  two weeks ? or more ?  We are fast approaching Nov. 

I sure hope we will see some light, at the end of this tunnel  [:D]

• I posted about the incompatibility at EWQL forums. That thread got locked quick. One of their devs has some networking solution in the works, a more traditional one requiring soundcards on each slave as well as master, and preferable a hardware mixer, and discussion of this issue is relegated to the hardware board there. where he can opine about how VE Pro isn't a good idea, where his is.

It was reported there in one of these threads, that Mr Salestag here had indicated he was working towards cooperation with EWQL on this issue, and their man said "I've heard nothing". Then he said that he had received the software.

"VE Pro is not currently supported by EWQL Play" is the party line there atm.

• It seems like there is a non-official status regarding VE Pro and PLAY on the PC platform, as 'Working' , this is reported by some users on this forum, some indicate the it works in the 64-bit server, some say it works on the 32-bit sever.  I'm not sure where we are heading next, but it sure is confusing to try to patch up all these bits and pieces of info. on forums to come to a solid conclusion.  

It would be very helpful If some VE Pro users, , can confirm that VE Pro and PLAY are working fine together, and very reliably on slave PCs.  If VSL can also provide some additional (official) feedback on workaround techniques to get VE Pro and PLAY to work on PCs that would be appreciated. (unless this is not the case), meaning... VE Pro does NOT work with PLAY on both PC and Mac platforms at this time.

On the other hand, no one seems to be reporting any success running VE Pro with PLAY on a Mac, so that is pretty much easy to figure out.  It currently does not work on a MAC ! 

As to an official statement from VSL regarding the current, and future status of VE Pro with PLAY on both PC and MAC platforms, and whether there is a workaround for running PLAY reliably on a PC has not been made, at least I haven not read it yet.

The issue with PLAY is very puzzling indeed. PLAY works well in many hosts, both MAC, and PC, including some other networking-solution hosts, such as ' AudioPort Universal ' offered by 'Audio Impressions', (although it has many restrictions i.e. 32-bit only, no midi support,  and only works on a PC), but there are users who are running PLAY with the AudioPort successfully. Which makes me wonder ....... Why VE Pro is having issues with PLAY, while it works fine in so many other hosts ?

I was expecting an early fix (via the first VE Pro Update) that was released to fix the PLAY issue, but sadly, that did not happen. Currently, things are not looking very rosy as far as VE Pro and PLAY are concerned, and quite honestly, I'm becoming less, and less, optimistic that VSL will eventually fix this issue, but I sure hope I'm totally wrong, and that this will be fixed in the near future.  

I hope this issue will eventually get resolved, one, way or another.

Cheers.

• I can confirm that PLAY works for me, but ONLY when I open a VE Pro instance through the connector plugin on Vistax64 (that's my slave computer). Then Play works in the 64bit Server. When I try to add a new Instance from the server without my host (Nuendo) Play won't work.

When it works, it works. Strange, isn't it?

Andreas

• I´m on Mac and it doesn´t work with VE PRO..Opening PLAY on Logic (and VE PRO connectet) crashes Logic all the time...

• I'm losing all hopes in seeing a fix for the VE-Pro and PLAY issue, so far, it looks like this problem will never get fixed !

If there is any hope of a fix in the near future, I would like to hear that from VSL, as to when they expect this to happen, but I'm not optimistic. 

• I've been sitting on the sidelines for some time waiting to see how this plays out. I have a significant investment in Play libraries. I have yet to invest in a VSL product. Ensemble Pro has really gotten my attention though, and I am considering investing in a few of the VSL instrument libraries as well, in addition to VEP. I won't be making any purchases though until Play is supported. It is a non-starter for me.

• last edited
    last edited

@aschnurr said:

I've been sitting on the sidelines for some time waiting to see how this plays out. I have a significant investment in Play libraries. I have yet to invest in a VSL product. Ensemble Pro has really gotten my attention though, and I am considering investing in a few of the VSL instrument libraries as well, in addition to VEP. I won't be making any purchases though until Play is supported. It is a non-starter for me.
    I echo this statement. I don't know the fine details, but it does not make much sense that support for Play is impossible given that most other VST/AU hosts can load it fine. Why should VE Pro be any different?

• Hi,

we are aware that this is a drawback for the users of both companies at the moment.

As mentioned before, we need to tackle this issue from both sides - and we´re doing our best to get there.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@orchetect said:

I don't know the fine details, but it does not make much sense that support for Play is impossible given that most other VST/AU hosts can load it fine. Why should VE Pro be any different?

Because VE Pro is different. if it wasn't you wouldn't even be interested in it. there are obviously some very complicated things going on, since no other other company has ever managed to develop a similar product. I think that you just have to be patient.

DG

• It works for me both 32-bit and 64-bit on Vista 64 on either local machine or secondary machine. 

The only caveat is you have to add as many instances as you want, ignore the errors and the blank gui, save the project and then immediately reopen the project and it works. As reliably as Kontakt.

I'll try to test it on my Mac pro when I have time.

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi,

we are aware that this is a drawback for the users of both companies at the moment.

As mentioned before, we need to tackle this issue from both sides - and we´re doing our best to get there.

Best,

Paul

Hello Paul,

Does that mean that you are currently NOT able to tackle the PLAY problem, from both sides ?  (one side is not cooperating) ?  What if they don't cooperate ? 

I am still not convinced that this will be fixed, either sooner, or later.  Waiting is not a great solution, and patience will run out.   Are you optimistic that this issue will be solved in the next few weeks, or maybe another month ?  or are we talking another six months, or more ?  Time is a critical factor.  (let's not forget that). 

• Undoubtedly the VSL team is working on the issue... IMO it probably is going to take more time than some of us would prefer, but that is besides the point. Patience is important - it simply often takes quite a bit of time for issues to be sorted out, particularly when problems are complex, as seems to be the case.

• Also keep in mind that it works on PCs and PLAY isn't 64bit on Mac anyway. So the benefit of using PLAY on a PC is even greater.

Maybe it sucks for some people but I think having a Mac and a PC Slave is the way to go. Best of both worlds.