Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,178 users have contributed to 42,281 threads and 255,003 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 62 new user(s).

• My apologies for interrupting the flow of consciousnes but - Back to re-visiting the original topic of this thread:

Does VE Pro only recognize 8 instances in localhost mode (on the same machine as the DAW host software) or only 8 instances total (on localhost and x number of slaves)?

Jack

• I believe the answer is eight instances per server.

• That's my assumption too. If it was limited to eight instances per network, this thread would be about twenty pages by now....

• Thanks gentlemen.

I can live with that. Sorry that it's a limitation for your work flows.

• The current limit is 8 instances per server. We are looking at raising this limit in an update.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

The current limit is 8 instances per server. We are looking at raising this limit in an update.

Thanks Martin! I think you will make many people very happy if you change this [:D]

Best regards,

Peter

• Just joining the fray now... testing out the demo version before I jump headlong into redoing a 500+ track template. I have tried the file-association trick in the past with other apps and never had success. I have however had success in the past with AppleScript. You can formulate the command to open a specific file with a specific app. This is not so straight forward with VE Pro however, as it's putting up a fight. I will report back with any findings.

• FANTASTIC!!!!

• I gave up yesterday. But I was in Automator.  I wouldn't take too much time with it, though, because it's the kind of thing that can be handled in an update. 

All we really need is a fix where the "Open With" setting works. Presently, if you double-click on a second metaframe file that is set to "Open With" the 32-bit server, nothing happens if the 64-bit is already running. And vice versa -- if the 32-bit is running and you double click on a metaframe set to open the 64-bit server, nothing happens. 

VSL, could you acknowledge that, and will a fix be coming? Thanks. 

Once the bug is fixed, we should be able to drag the two metaframe files into Login Items and load on start-up without any scripts. 

• Perhaps duplicating the VE Pro Server application would be a workaround--like when duplicating the VE application for standalone use to get around the 4GB memory limit. I'm not brave enough to experiment with this, since VE Pro is meeting my needs at this time.

• You cannot duplicate the server, it does not allow you to run two of the same server architectures at the same time (You will get a warning message).

• Actually, I forgot about the other bug. As both dbudde and I noted, when both metaframes are dragged into Login Items, Syncrosoft generates an error message, and neither program opens. I don't know if this is linked to the double-click error where a second metaframe won't launch in Finder after the first metaframe has loaded.  

• It occurs to me that the synchrosoft error on login items might get resolved when the update to the elicenser is released for Snow Leopard.

• I actually figured out why this problem is happening but have not had time to hack a fix for it. If you look at the internal guts of the Vienna apps, you will see that they are not actually individual apps. There are only two real programs - Vienna Pro and Vienna Pro 64-bit. Inside the Server iterations, they are simply ALIASING to the executable files inside the main apps. This screws with how OSX determines file associations and explains why it has trouble launching the second server.

• Just a quick word of caution for those wanting to use more than 8 instances of VE Pro who can use the VST3 version of the plugin (I know this won't apply to the majority of you on this thread who seem to be using Logic).  Obviously using 8 VST2 VEPs are going to chew through more CPU cycles and affect ASIO performance than a single VST3 instance (which can cater for multiple midi ports).  So as a quick test I created 3 new Cubase projects to see how much this was affected;

the first with 8 VST2 VEPs loaded, each with a single empty Kontakt 3.5 instantiated

the second with 8 empty Kontakt 3.5s loaded into Cubases VST Inst rack as per normal

the third with a single VST3 VEP with 8 empty Kontakt 3.5s loaded within

Then I measured the %CPU and %ASIO performance (VST Performance meter within Cubase) and found the following at buffer settings of 32, 64 and 128 samples

Buffer setting

32 64 128 256
    8 VEP VST2s with K3.5 inside

ASIO 26 14 8 4

CPU 27 17 10 7
    8 K3.5 alone

ASIO 10 4 2 0

CPU 8 4 2 2
    1 VEP VST3 with 8 K3.5s inside

ASIO 12 8 3 1

CPU 9 5 3 2

(sorry about the table formatting)

• I really need a summary for my own use. I've read this thread a few times and I'm getting a bit confused so forgive me for not quite following all this clearly. I'm using VEPro on my sequencing machine at the moment (8-core, 16GB Mac) and I've run out of processing power. I am using a fairly large Bidule set up alongside it (this needs to stay, I don't wish to re-create it's complexity elsewhere at the moment). Bidule is maxed out with about 7 Kontakts, EW Play, VE2 etc. VePro is running standalone on the same machine with about 18 VIs loaded.

I thought this was working great but when it comes down to actual sequencing and recording, the mac is struggling. The Activity monitor CPU's look totally FINE (about a 1/3rd used on each core and the memory often sits with about 4 gigs free. So I don't know why but I get errors in DP6 stating CPU has overloaded, asking me to stop playback. Lots of crashes. LOTS!! (Often after a while of working the memory pie reaches full but this is with 4 gigs in the "blue" inactive sector).

Please note I tried running an extra VEPRo under a SERVER (thus neediong to connect this via PLUG IN in DP. Adding this one plug in version within DP (it's the only plug in inside my entire DP) crashes DP every time. Literally my DP cannot handle one single instance of VEPro as a plug in. The standalone one is operating audio wise with So it appears to me I do need to spread this out over to an extra Mac which I'm considiering purchasing right away. But before I do I want to check:

On a seperate machine, I've read I can have one 64bit and one 32bit server running of VEPro. Inside each of these I'm guessing the number of insstances that can be created is as many as you want. I've read that CONNECTING these instances has limitations (eg EIGHT as mentioned here, though I find it confusing reading through the info here).

I am running DP on what will be the main machine, so my quesion is this before I fork out for the new machine:

Once set up with the external machine, the 64bit server can run VI. Via the ethernet cable it can create midi channels and audio channels. These will appear in DP automatically but to CONNECT I have to open VEPro as a plug in inside DP (correct?) which means it will be limited to 16 channels per instance in DP. Could someone spell out the limitations here, running DP which will be AU? I believe it's 8x16 midi channels. Audio channels and choices will be plentiful or what is the limit there?

In order to run KONTAKT inside VEPRo (Which I will need to do for LASS strings etc), I will need to run an instance of VEPRO (32bit) also. (Kontakt cannot be loaded into the 64bit version, I tried but it makes sense that it can't). This will have the same limitations yes? As well as also being limited to 4 GB maximum loading also. And once that 4GB maximum is reached, I'm out of options as, and this is my big question, EACH SERVER HAS A LIMIT OF 4GB, regardless of number of instances of VEPro loaded, the server itself has a 4GB limit. Is this correct?

Thanks!

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

In order to run KONTAKT inside VEPRo (Which I will need to do for LASS strings etc), I will need to run an instance of VEPRO (32bit) also. (Kontakt cannot be loaded into the 64bit version, I tried but it makes sense that it can't). This will have the same limitations yes? As well as also being limited to 4 GB maximum loading also. And once that 4GB maximum is reached, I'm out of options as, and this is my big question, EACH SERVER HAS A LIMIT OF 4GB, regardless of number of instances of VEPro loaded, the server itself has a 4GB limit. Is this correct?
    This is actually an exception. Don't know if you're aware, but Kontakt 3.5 has a "Memory Server" feature which is totally killer. It creates a SEPARATE process to host its sample memory in, and this memory server is 64-bit regardless of whether Kontakt is 32-bit or 64-bit. Which means only the plugin GUI takes memory when you load it into a sequencer or VE Pro (like ~100MB per Kontakt I think) and Kontakt is able to use ALL of your available RAM for sample loading. (Note this feature is only available on Macs and not PCs). You have to go into Kontakt options and under the Memory tab, enable the Memory Server.

As a side note, if you're running any templates on PCs, make sure to look into a little program called jBridge. It will help you get around the memory limitation stuff (but no Mac version alas..)

Hope this info helps! (btw, have you worked with Hal Beckett?)

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Kral said:

Adding this one plug in version within DP (it's the only plug in inside my entire DP) crashes DP every time. Literally my DP cannot handle one single instance of VEPro as a plug in.
    On my 8 core macpro, 16GB ram, I can load many instances of VE Pro as a plugin inside DP7 with zero crashes. But I've only needed 3 instances of VE Pro plugin so far...

• last edited
    last edited

@Rob Kral said:

Adding this one plug in version within DP (it's the only plug in inside my entire DP) crashes DP every time. Literally my DP cannot handle one single instance of VEPro as a plug in.

On my 8 core macpro, 16GB ram, I can load many instances of VE Pro as a plugin inside DP7 with zero crashes. But I've only needed 3 instances of VE Pro plugin so far...

Please note as per my post, I'm running it alongside a very large (maxed out) bidule set up on the same machine. Standalone Kontakt (1 instance) is also running. I figure I've just perhaps maxed it out and in no way wish to imply this is normal performance behaviour from VEPro. Thanks for the help guys!

Yes I do know Hal Beckett!!

• ORCHETECT: Thanks for your reply, I'll go through carefully and check what you've said. I do have the memory server activated in all instances of Kontakt inside bidule, and also in the standalone instance on this machine. Very handy information though. Just wanted to be sure before purchasing another machine. I really appreciate the clarity here. Where I can get confused is if the server is limited to 4GB, that means 4GB amongst the loaded material inside the server? If the 32bit instance of the server is reserved for Kontakt, and Kontakt is set to handle the memory as you point out, then EFFECTIVELY this 32bit server (running just Kontakt instances) would not have the restriction, which you have clarified very well thanks!

(I know H. Beckett! He conducted & recorded my "Haunting in Connecticut" score).