Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,404 users have contributed to 42,225 threads and 254,783 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Just updated and everything is working perfectly...

Mac G5 PPC Dual 2gig (host) 6 MacMinis (farms) on Digital Performer 7

Martin, thank you so much for getting this out straight away. This is fantastic.

Rob

• Yes, I can confirm it is still broken. Unfortunately the issue hasn't been solved.

I am on PC/64bit, K3.5 on a VEpro in de-coupled mode.

• Hello Martin & Karel and the team.  Any official reply on this?  The LASS legato patches still sometimes don't load properly with the new build, and even when freshly loaded into Kontakt occasionally have their scripts 'broken' during a session.  I suspect it's some combination of having instances preserved or not during sessions or when loaded, but haven't tracked it down what trips it up.  Anyone else?

Thanks - Brett

• I'm actually not having any problems. Opens correctly and runs very smooth.

• Mac G5 Dual 2gig (host) running Leopard

• 6 Mac Minis (farms)

• DP7

I'll post if I run into any problems.

• Brett,

there is one case which can still cause a problem - and there is currently no nice way to solve this, since Kontakt does not support samplerate changes on the fly. When previously having run VE Pro server at samplerate 44.1kHz, then quitting the server - and starting it again, loading an .mframe or .viframe file from the server window itself - then connecting from a sequencer running at 48kHz. Is this the case here?

One thing we could do to work around this, would be to automatically reload all plugin instances when a samplerate is changed (like some hosts do), but this is a very ugly hack imo. I think that plugin manufacturers should make their plugins handle rate changes properly. Reloading all plugins of a 20GB+ server could take some time...

• I'm having the same midi problems as Wolfsterik.

I'm using a Mac Pro 8-core and Logic 9.02 as my Master DAW (OS 10.5.8) and two MacBook Pros (OS 10.6.1) as slaves using VE-Pro's 32 bit server - the 64 bit ones wouldn't give me the option of loading any of my AUs (Kontakt 3.5, Omnisphere, RMX etc) for some reason. Anyway, I digress, the midi irtregularities happened with the first version of VE-Pro and unfortunately are still occuring with the update.

I created a Logic template of 8 LASS Instruments (8 midi channels) on one slave withiin one instance of VE-Pro. All worked well until I relaunched the project. Midi channels 1 - 4 and 7 - 8 play fine. 5 and 6 are problematic. Even though I can see that they're being triggered by the VE-Pro's track light on the left, there's no sound. When I then click the Kontakt's keyboard with the mouse on the slave it plays, it just doesn't when being triggered from my main DAW. 

The weird thing is that on the last launch of the project, midi channels 5 and 6 didn't play. On the current launch, 5 does, it's 6 that doesn't. By the way I've tried this with other AUs and the same thing happens. RMX, Omnisphere and other Kontakt instruments are also problematic.

Nick

Edit: I've just tried deleting the problematic AU channel on the slave (Midi channel 6 at the moment) and have loaded up an Omnisphere instrument on 6 instead. It works fine. I then deleted the Omnisphere channel and freshly loaded up Kontakt on MIDI channel 6 and nothing sounded again (even though it was clearly being triggered and DID sound when triggered by mouse on the plug-in's keyboard). It was just a regular factory preset I loaded too - nothing very intensive. Bizarre...

• Nick,

thanks for posting this. I was beginning to question my sanity, suspected Voodoo or other dark forces [6]

Like you describe, this bug seems to happen only when Kontakt is present in VE PRO. And once it is, it can affect all other AUs, except for Vienna Instruments. I'm in the middle of a project and had to stop further testing. For the time being I had to remove all Kontakts from my VE PRO setup. 

Please VSL team, save us [:'(]

• VSL, can you confirm that the midi problems posted by Wolfsterik and myself above are being looked into?

Many thanks.

• Yes, it´s being investigated.

/Regards,

• Great. Thanks Maya.

• last edited
    last edited

@Wolfsterik said:

Nick,

thanks for posting this. I was beginning to question my sanity, suspected Voodoo or other dark forces

Like you describe, this bug seems to happen only when Kontakt is present in VE PRO. And once it is, it can affect all other AUs, except for Vienna Instruments. I'm in the middle of a project and had to stop further testing. For the time being I had to remove all Kontakts from my VE PRO setup. 

Please VSL team, save us [:'(]

Please let me know if setting Logic´s process buffer to "medium" changes anything .....

• The problems have been occuring while on medium.

• OK.

• last edited
    last edited

@MS said:

Brett,

there is one case which can still cause a problem - and there is currently no nice way to solve this, since Kontakt does not support samplerate changes on the fly. When previously having run VE Pro server at samplerate 44.1kHz, then quitting the server - and starting it again, loading an .mframe or .viframe file from the server window itself - then connecting from a sequencer running at 48kHz. Is this the case here?

Thanks for your reply Martin - sorry, for not being as prompt but I haven't had a lot of time for testing.

No, the above scenario that you mentioned does not apply to me.  I'm at 48kHz the whole time.  This is what happens...

If the night before I have saved my cubase 4 project with all instances of VEP 'disconnected' (not preserved), then when I load the project the next morning the scripting for the leg LASS patches is broken.  However, if the night before I saved with all VEPs 'preserved' and I load the project file the next morning, then the LASS scripting works as it should (however I always get a crash with the 32-bit server this way - detailed in another thread, still not solved)

The cubase project file is a large one, encompassing many cues spread of over a 2 hour film.  Oddly, if I start a new project with only a couple off LASS legato patches, the above behaviour cannot be reproduced.  I don't know if this is to do with the complexity of the project or because I started this project using the previous VEP build, however with my current project, the above behaviour is entirely reproduceable (as are the crashes I mentioned)

With respect to the LASS scripting, I'm not entirely sure that LASS and or Kontakt is isn't at least part to blame as very occasionally the scripting breaks mid session.  There are a couple of threads on the LASS forums where this has happened to users in Bidule also.  However, the fact that here scripting 'breaks' depending on whether a project was connected or not to VEP prior to saving suggests that there is some interaction with VEP....or something....

I feel like I'm on my own with these two problems.  Any suggestions?

Brett

• I am the original poster of this thread, and I wish I could report that everything is running smoothly for me, but two slight problems remain.  (I'm on OS 10.5.8 running PT 8.0.1 on a 2X2.66 Quad Mac Pro).

LASS seems fine now.  For the Trumpet and Mr. Sax T I've noticed that cc11 breaks very frequently.  The other scripts seem to work.  Sometimes I can reload the instrument or press "reset" on the Sax GUI and it fixes it.  Other times it doesn't.  Last night I ended up taking the Sax out of VE Pro and putting the Sax directly into ProTools.

Also, in two projects now, toward the end of the projects (say in the last 20% of the song) I'm getting crackles when the Trumpets play.  They are intermittent and inconsistent, but I have to bounce to audio files a few times until I can get it clean.  Odd that the crackling only occurs at the end of the piece, even if the Trumpet is playing at the beginning.

• No, LASS does not work correctly at all on PC.

I noticed from what other users said that on MAC the problem seems to have disapeared. Maybe it has somthing to do with Kontakt's memory server??

But on PC - Xp64 - the issue is still there. I tried this on three different systems, plus it seems that other PC users have the same problem with LASS (and possibly with other kontakt libraries). The only workarounds that I know of are:

1. Only work at 44.1 KHz sample rate. This is a disaster for the TV/Film composers. What I do though at the end  of a gig (when I do the music Delivery) is use Voxengo R8brain pro converter to convert everything to 48 KHz and then submit the audio. Otherwise, for director's approval, I use MP3's anyways.

2. After loading a preserved VEP metafile (or VEP instance), link it to Cubase, then reload the LASS MULTI in Kontakt. This takes a lot of time. Then I need to remember to disconnect that instance of VEP everytime I save a Cubase project. Then connect back. This way the Kontakt multi remains uncorrupted. It only take a few seconds (disconnect/SAVE/connect) but if I forget then next time I open that cubase project I corrupt the scripts.

I am happy for John and the others (on Mac) who stopped experiencing the problem, but I hope the issue (on PC) will eventually be fixed.

• Agreed Catalin! There are very few of us according the the response on this forum.  I think the majority here are on Mac.  I wonder if it's an XP problem?  I'm on Cubase (32-bit) in XP64 running both VEP32 and VEP64 servers.  I generally don't work in 'preserved' mode which seems to help for me although I lose the benefits of preserving which is great swapping projects or recovering from a crash.  I will port to W7 in time to test there but until then...

• Hi,

As you know, XP64 is not a supported platform for VE PRO. We are mainly working with Win7 here, it´s a great OS.

It could well be that your troubles are OS-related.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • You may be right Paul, however at least one of my problems (the crashing of the 32-bit server upon loading a cubase project) appeared only in the latest build so may not be entirely XP64 related.  Karel said he could not get VEP32 to crash following my repro, but perhaps he wasn't testing in XP64?

W7 isn't released for another week, and many musicians using PCs have leapfrogged Vista for many well documented reasons, so W7 isn't a realistic option right now.  Soon though!

Brett

• Hello Brett,

I´m not sure how Karel tested, but why should he test VE PRO on an unsupported platform in the first place? I assume he was referring to XP32.

Best,

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL