Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,119 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Nick mentioned that the Mac itself has a series of busses and certainly if I look at the system profiler loads are shown however aren't these things like usb hubs on attached keyboards and screens and internal bus connections like bluetooth? I think that the 2 usb ports on the back and the 2 ports on the fron of a MacPro may be all the same bus.

Julian

I think that front 2 ports on my PC are actually the same bus, but I never use those anyway.

DG

• OK, Removing iLoks makes no difference to loading times of either the plug (in Nuendo) or standalone.

However, the Nuendo initialising thing is not correct. I'm wrong. Sorry.

My new world record for loading a project file with an empty VE instance is 1' 16". This is in Reaper, and with the 2nd Syncrosoft dongle removed. When I put the other dongle in (Nuendo licence) it takes an extra 4 seconds. This proves to me that Nuendo does nothing to help the loading time, and the reason it is not as quick when loading a Nuendo file, is that Nuendo takes longer to load than Reaper. It also doesn't explain why the Vienna standalone takes so long (for me) and not for OSX users, or why the plug loads much quicker than the standalone on my system.

DG

• I went from 7:30 down to 1:56 just by moving the dongle from a USB hub to the internal port. :))))) Still, why it needs up to 2 minutes to read licenses?

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

OK, Removing iLoks makes no difference to loading times of either the plug (in Nuendo) or standalone.

However, the Nuendo initialising thing is not correct. I'm wrong. Sorry.

My new world record for loading a project file with an empty VE instance is 1' 16". This is in Reaper, and with the 2nd Syncrosoft dongle removed. When I put the other dongle in (Nuendo licence) it takes an extra 4 seconds. This proves to me that Nuendo does nothing to help the loading time, and the reason it is not as quick when loading a Nuendo file, is that Nuendo takes longer to load than Reaper. It also doesn't explain why the Vienna standalone takes so long (for me) and not for OSX users, or why the plug loads much quicker than the standalone on my system.

DG

Hi Daryl, May be far too much of a bind but if you're bored after opening all you Christmas presents I'd be very interested to know if having the licences spread over 2 dongles is much quicker for scanning than one. By the way adding Solo Strings 2 + extended added only 1 second to the scans. Regards Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

Hi Daryl, May be far too much of a bind but if you're bored after opening all you Christmas presents I'd be very interested to know if having the licences spread over 2 dongles is much quicker for scanning than one. By the way adding Solo Strings 2 + extended added only 1 second to the scans. Regards Julian
    It's not scanning the licences that takes the time, it's scanning the content. If you launch VE with the same dongle on a computer that has no Collections, then scanning takes around 2-3 seconds. DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It's not scanning the licences that takes the time, it's scanning the content.
    now I'm puzzled, why is scanning the content required at all? The paths are already specified in Directory Manager, so why is this extra step needed?

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It's not scanning the licences that takes the time, it's scanning the content.
    now I'm puzzled, why is scanning the content required at all? The paths are already specified in Directory Manager, so why is this extra step needed?

I've no idea. Don't shoot the messenger. [:'(]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It's not scanning the licences that takes the time, it's scanning the content. If you launch VE with the same dongle on a computer that has no Collections, then scanning takes around 2-3 seconds.

DG

I've found on my system that scanning the licences takes 40" and scanning the content 1"05. So with no content attached VI standalone launches in 40". So Daryl, it appears somehow that your licence scan is almost instant is this something to do with Nuendo?. Be good to know how long does it takes for you to launch VE standalone without content and without Nuendo launched. Thanks Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

I've found on my system that scanning the licences takes 40" and scanning the content 1"05. So with no content attached VI standalone launches in 40". So Daryl, it appears somehow that your licence scan is almost instant is this something to do with Nuendo?. Be good to know how long does it takes for you to launch VE standalone without content and without Nuendo launched. Thanks Julian

Standalone with no content takes 14"

Plug in Reaper takes just under 3 seconds.

DG

•  So what I've gleaned, with the help of Daryl, is that the Syncrosoft licence scanning can be as short as 3 seconds on a PC - I can't get it below 40" on my Mac, and that it is the content scanning (which appears to be similar between Mac and PC) that is taking up almost all the total launch time on PC and about 60% of the total launch time on Mac.

Interpreting these figures (always dangerous!) might indicate there is huge scope to improve the Syncrosoft scanning time for Mac users (down to Syncrosoft?) and also substantial time to be saved in directory scanning (content) for both PC and Mac users (down to VSL?)

When I purchase my first VSL product for the Logic EXP sampler (the Pro edition) I remember it came with a free version of EXS manager from Redmatica. Perhaps it was provided as the VSL libary was so huge at the time compared with what had gone before.This was excellent for Logic users as it dropped the launch time of Logic from over 3 minutes to a few seconds by re-organising the EXS library (which VSL was a part of once installed). Perhaps Andrea Gozzi (Redmatica) could work some magic here!!

Julian

• Well, although I am not really a fan of Syncrosoft and their Mac support I think and saw tests that clearly indicate that the USB drivers in OSX are not the fastests. I mean you can experience that when you use a USB2-harddrive on Mac and on PC - in my experience PC is significantly faster.
    In the old days the the samples were not protected and the dongle driver were not independent from a company that really knew how to write efficient software for Macs.
    Andrea is still very active in EXS world but this has nothing anymore to do with exs and there is definitely not a lot information or sources available - well, it is copy protection :)
    best

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

So what I've gleaned, with the help of Daryl, is that the Syncrosoft licence scanning can be as short as 3 seconds on a PC - I can't get it below 40" on my Mac, and that it is the content scanning (which appears to be similar between Mac and PC) that is taking up almost all the total launch time on PC and about 60% of the total launch time on Mac.

I think that one of the reasons that my content scanning takes so long is that I have the samples spread over 5 hard drives. How many are you using, just so that I can do a proper comparison.

However, it doesn't explain the huge disparity it time between standalone and plug.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

I think that one of the reasons that my content scanning takes so long is that I have the samples spread over 5 hard drives. How many are you using, just so that I can do a proper comparison.

DG

Well your content scanning isn't taking any longer than mine. I use 4 e-sata drives but they present to the Mac as a single Raid 0.For comparison the disc has all the DVD products installed plus the choir.

I had wondered about configuring them as J-BOD but I ran a test and found the RAID would stream 600 stereo VSL samples simultaneously and gives more capability for multitrack audio work. It also loads into RAM at about 350 MB/SEC for stuff like photoshop but unfortunately on my drives VSL stuff loads at about 10% of that speed.

Julian

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG

Well your content scanning isn't taking any longer than mine. I use 4 e-sata drives but they present to the Mac as a single Raid 0.For comparison the disc has all the DVD products installed plus the choir.

Julian

I think our times for the plug content scanning are about the same, but for standalone yours beats mine by a couple of minutes, taking into account the fact that the licence scanning is much quicker on my machine. [:^)]

DG

• Just wanted to chime in here and add my concerns that legitimate users are being punished here. There must be a better way. I don't have a huge VSL, but still find the wait for the copy protection very annoying. It is very unprofessional to have software not give any indication of what it is doing for such a long time. There should at least be a dialogue window with progress indicator immediately upon instantiating a VSL plugin. Currently you are left wondering if the computer has crashed because nothing seems to happen for about 20 seconds.

•  I agree....  I own everything that VI has to offer and loaded on a single Mac.  Do I pay the price at startup and reboots when something hangs!  The more modules you own, the more you pay in start-up time.  To me, this is just not right.  I was hoping that the licensing (which I agree needs to be done in today's world of copy happy people) could be consolidated.  For example, if someone owns the Cube,  rather than scanning all the modules in the Cube, just have one license that represents the Cube.  I know it not as straight forward as licensing each module individually, but the end customer is paying the price for adminstration simplicity.  I also realize that individuals such as myself who have the entire library loaded on one box, is paying a bigger price than those who can afford to have multiple slaves that spread the start up time accross several machines, and if a reboot is required, don't have to restart and rescan all the modules again -- only the box that contains the sequencer.  I'm hoping that the folks at VSL come up with some other solution in the near future, especially as the library and plug-ins continue to grow.  It's a great library but the security implementation is placing it in a bad light.

• I couldn't agree more. Syncrosoft reminds me of the dark ages of the Gigastudio. Another lovely surprise form our friend Syncrosoft. Check this one out: Application 'Vienna Suite MCFACT' has caused the following error: Calling INIT method failed: NoRegisterSpace Please connect a valid eLicenser and restart application. GRRRRRRRRRRRR! I have a freeking vaild eLicenser! Solution: restart computer and wait another 10 minutes. After spending well over 10k I am not amused whatsoever.

• Hi Bruce,

the register space problem is a known issue if you run a  lot of licenses on your system and has been fixed with the latest LCC update.

Do you run LCC version 5.4.10.8 ?

best

Herb

• Hi Herb, I was using 5.4.10.4. I'll try the new one. Why have I never had such a problem with my Altiverb key? It just works. Period. I don't have to think about it. End of. There has to be a better way, sorry. A much better way for all of us. I cannot stress this enough.

• i'd assume you don't have this amount of licenses on your iLok ... anyway ... i'd recommend to remove at occasion the expired demo licenses (and empty the LCC trash) ... you're jazz drums key is holding a lot of them ...

of course i don't know your setup and how you inserted ViennaSuite instances - but earlier versions of LCC have the problem herb indicated when it comes close to 100 checked out licenses

hth, christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.