Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,709 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 41 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Conquer said:

The vibrato on the Strad is very lifelike -

I think it sound horrible, but as I said above, I have strong views on this sort of thing.

But if you have very strong strong views: don't you think every sampled, physically modelled or covoluted (or whatever they might invent in the future) instrument sounds more or less horrible (with a wide range of horror or joy of course) or is not as flexible as you wish for. What is indisputable though, is the great playability of those new lines of instruments with not so many samples, but more tweaking. I agree, that it's not soon going to happen with a string section, but also not impossible. One thing is for sure: the VI host was a great step in playability. But still: Wallander Instruments, the Trumpet - not as much Garritan Violin and Cello (the winds seem to be better suited for this kind of thing) - have made the best attempt in this direction. There are way not enough instruments in that quality out there to put an orchestra together, so VSL is still the best choice. But I have strong views on this: If VSL is not trying to integrate that kind of technology into their products, the future will belong to others. Of course I'm pretty sure they already plan on some VI2 with that kind of thing. If not: One vote for it on the wish list for the : )

Of course the more that you know about how an instrument should sound, the more critical you can be. However there are so many things wrong with the Strad; for a start, even if you don't play more than one note, the sound it makes is not pleasant. however, I do think that a lot of the problem is that most of the users don't know what they are doing, and the programmers either haven't taken enough advice, or taken advice from the wrong people.

I also agree with you that the future will be less about actual samples and more about modelling. However, we are not yet at this stage for most instruments. The trumpet is a great leap forward, IMO, but there are still things that need to be improved. The Violin is a much more complex issue, but in a very different way.

The other thing to remember is that The Trumpet is incredibly inefficient, so there is no way that we could run a whole orchestra of instruments like this. Contrary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with CPU power, it has to do with ASIO performance, which is not yet up to the task.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@Conquer said:

DG, on the question of realism I defer to (and respect) your long experience playing the instrument. But would you not agree that the Strad vibrato sounds more real than LFO pitch modulation? I guess you've experimented with the Strad yourself?

I don't have the Strad, but from what I've heard, the vibrato is much better than any LFO pitch modulation I've heard.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@ct1961 said:

The Stradavari and Gofriller in Kontakt have very realistic and variable LFO generated vibrato. Would be nice indeed if VSL were to come up with something similar...Colin.

FWIW- I meant modwheel generated..