Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,748 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,368 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 75 new user(s).

• I didn't look hard enough for it last night, as I was just winding down a session when I tried the Vienna Suite.

What I have noticed in the past though, is that Bypass buttons seem to be implemented at the wrapper level (AU, VST, RTAS, MAS, DXi).

For instance, some of my plug-ins look different in Digital Performer than in BIAS Peak Pro, in terms of Bypass, Presets Lists, etc.

• "A good and useful review, but do bear in mind that comparing to Waves is apples and oranges, since coloured EQ's have a different purpose from transparent EQ's. "

yes offcourse, but i find that some more neutral or dry sounding samples realy come to life with eqs that brings a different sonic character to the table...and sometimes samples can lack a certain warmth these eqs can add.

But offcourse the trend nowdays is more a "out of the box" approach...so i would never do that to something like Symphobia, but not every sample lib out there has been hyped before it hits the shelves.

In fact most of my stuff is old, and doesnt have that sonic estethic that we see in newer products.

But i realise thats not the sole intention of the VSL EQ, therefore i also think of it more as a workhor(s)e everyday eq then anything else, but that was just my initial impression anyways.

What attracts me to it, is thats its made specificly for orhcestral mockups ( i assume) and seems to be quite usefull in that regard as complete bundle.

Now, it would be even cooler if VSL made a Powercore version of the plugs...:D

• Is it possible to control the paramaters of a Vienna Suite plug-in that is loaded in VE on a slave computer through track automation on the master computer's sequencer?

I can't seem to figure out how to do this, is it possible?

Thanks, Brian

• Dietz - Do these plugins have a by-pass function like Dave asked?

• Right mouse click on any attached plugin in VE.

You get edit, bypass, delete, and replace effect functions.

best

Herb

• last edited
    last edited

@Pzy-clone said:

The eq, well...is better sounding then the one in Cubase, but in all fairness..it doesnt come close to the character and warmth of Waves API, SSL etc. But that is also reflected in the pricerange offcourse. I would use it for basic tasks, then pull out the big guns for more delicate matters.
    With all due respect, I don't necessarily agree that "more expensive" = better. Waves is generally overpriced to begin with, while MOTU's free Masterworks EQ is very good if not excellent. My first impression of this Vienna package is that it's fabulous. Especially the mastering EQ.

• Are the Jazz Drums compatable with E-Drums?

• With VE 3 you get 3 licenses so you can have 3 slaves, but your master computer doesn't require a license.  So what happens if you're using Vienna Suite EQ and Power Panning on all 3 of your VE slaves, and then also want to use the Vienna Suite Master EQ and Limiter on the final output track of you sequencer on your master computer? Wouldn't you need 4 Vienna Suite licenses to make this setup work?

It seems slightly odd that Vienna Suite is designed for perfect integration with VE (which works on 4 computers), but the Vienna Suite itself only comes with enough licenses to work on 3 computers.

• last edited
    last edited

@JFreese said:

Are the Jazz Drums compatable with E-Drums?

The GM-Set of the Jazz Drums is compatible with GM-compatible E-Drums, which to my knowledge most of the E-Drums are.

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Brian, 

@Brian said:

So what happens if you're using Vienna Suite EQ and Power Panning on all 3 of your VE slaves, and then also want to use the Vienna Suite Master EQ and Limiter on the final output track of you sequencer on your master computer? Wouldn't you need 4 Vienna Suite licenses to make this setup work?

That´s correct. 

Vienna Ensemble 3 and Vienna Suite are 2 totally different products, of course. 

With Vienna Ensemble 3 you get 3 licenses, so that you can use it on 3 computers. The master computer doesn´t need a license, as you know.

When you´re mixing your session, you could also bounce the audio signals from one of the slaves and use the ViennaKey with the Vienna Suite licenses on your master computer [:)]

Best, 

Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Brian said:

So what happens if you're using Vienna Suite EQ and Power Panning on all 3 of your VE slaves, and then also want to use the Vienna Suite Master EQ and Limiter on the final output track of you sequencer on your master computer? Wouldn't you need 4 Vienna Suite licenses to make this setup work?

That´s correct. 

Vienna Ensemble 3 and Vienna Suite are 2 totally different products, of course. 

With Vienna Ensemble 3 you get 3 licenses, so that you can use it on 3 computers. The master computer doesn´t need a license, as you know.

When you´re mixing your session, you could also bounce the audio signals from one of the slaves and use the ViennaKey with the Vienna Suite licenses on your master computer 

Best, 

Paul

That sounds quite counter.productive to the VE concept. I agree  with Brian that 4 licenses would make more sense for a full VE3 setup.

• */ EDIT-

Just saw the question from hose and the answer on the previous page, nevermind...

EDIT /*

A quick question:

Will the plug-ins be available separately? I already own everything I need in terms of plug-ins for mixing and mastering, but the POWER PAN would be useful...

Any chance for this to happen?

Thanks, and bravo for the release of these plug-ins!

Mel

• I especially like the Analyzer. However,I've noticed that the Note option only works in 44.1k. In 48k it always says the note is a half step lower.

•  Hi,

thanks for reporting, John!

Vienna Suite will be available as a bundle - no other plans at the moment....

Best, 

Paul

• Could you list the EQ presets?

•  Hi William,

please download your free demo license for Vienna Suite - this way you can check out all presets yourself. We will add more presets within the next time, so this will be a growing database [:)]

Best, 

Paul

•  Thanks Paul. This is an interesting development, especially for the EQ-Challenged.

• I have some pretty good Sonnox (Sony) Oxford EQ settings I've tweaked for for VSL strings, but the presets with the Vienna Suite EQ are better, so I've switched. "Damn it Jim, I'm a composer, not an engineer!"

• Can anyone explain what 'extra' benefit one gets from using the VSL panner plug, over say, Logic's Direction Mixer plug? What does it do that I can't find anywhere else? Thanks

• This is what Julian has to say about Logic's Direction Mixer:

" In Logic you can't truly pan/width control a stereo source unless it's on 2 mono channels - should be the same, I guess, for all DAWs

There is a plug-in in Logic that reduces width/pans a stereo image but the width reduction affects the pan (a stereo image made fully mono does not respond at all to the position (pan) control in the plug-in.

So having the very clear graphics regarding panning available in the VI would stop the need of having to insert a direction control plug-in and then fiddle with the panning on the channel pot."

I hope this answers your question.

DG