Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,720 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,894 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 43 new user(s).

• Hello Alain,

Just load the Special Edition matrices in Vienna Ensemble.
    We call middle C C4, Finale calls it C3. That's why keyswitches in the Finale file are one octave lower. But that's just the name. In fact they are the same. Finale C0 = VSL C1

Is your MIDI connection working? Does Vienna Ensemble play anything?

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Andi:

I have worked with Finale and Vienna SE the last couple of months and I created my own HP prefs for Vienna SE some time ago.

I took a brief look at the HP prefs on the VSL site and they seem ok, just one thing: Double Bass, Bass trombone and tuba has different keyswitches than the high pitched instruments (as I'm sure you know). You'll need to add these instruments and assign the correct keyswittches to them (C6-D#6 (F#6)) to the HP prefs to get them to work properly.

I could send you my HP prefs if you are interested.

Albert 

• last edited
    last edited

@stevesong said:

As far as I can tell, the current iteration of Finale's Human Playback is incompatible with VE and VI because, among other things, regardless of the fact that you set the dynamics for sustaining interests to CC#11 + Key Velocity in Finale's HP preferences dialog box, Finale sends a stream of CC#7 data as well. When  a file  in which  the  preferences were set as described (for CC#11 + Key Velocity) and Finale's HP data was saved to the file and then transferred  to Logic via a MIDI file,  there was no trace of CC#11  data -  - only CC#7 data. To get expressive playback with the current version of Finale one must enter the CC data manually, using the MIDI Tool. 

Stephen:

I succesfully saved a finale file as a standard midi file including CC#11 (instead of CC#7) data and continued to work with this project in Logic. It is possible. I also constructed my own HP prefs in Finale and the correct keyswitches were also applied to the file.

This was however some months ago but I seem to remember some buggy behavior with applying a custom HP prefs to a file. There was some problem getting the custom HP prefs to show when using the plugin. If you choose another HP prefs in the playback options you would still have the HP default prefs (for GPO) when using the plugin. I'm afraid I can't remember now how I solved this.

Albert 

• last edited
    last edited

@Albert S said:

Stephen:

I succesfully saved a finale file as a standard midi file including CC#11 (instead of CC#7) data and continued to work with this project in Logic. It is possible. I also constructed my own HP prefs in Finale and the correct keyswitches were also applied to the file.

This was however some months ago but I seem to remember some buggy behavior with applying a custom HP prefs to a file. There was some problem getting the custom HP prefs to show when using the plugin. If you choose another HP prefs in the playback options you would still have the HP default prefs (for GPO) when using the plugin. I'm afraid I can't remember now how I solved this.

Albert 

Albert:

Are you saying that you saved the MIDI file after having applied the HP plugin to it and found that you had CC#11 rather than CC#7 data when you opened it in Logic - - or are you saying that you manually wrote CC#11 data in Finale file with the MIDI Tool and it appeared correctly when you opened the MIDI file in Logic? 

Thanks,

Stephen

• last edited
    last edited

@stevesong said:

Are you saying that you saved the MIDI file after having applied the HP plugin to it and found that you had CC#11 rather than CC#7 data when you opened it in Logic - -

Yes. Or more accurate, I changed "Dynamic Approach for Sustaining Instruments" to "Expression (CC#11)+Velocity" in my own set of HP prefs. (The default setting for GPO is "Automatic", usually this means volume controlled by CC#7)

The problem here is when you want to apply HP as a plugin. When you choose "Apply Human Playback" in the plugin meny and click on the Prefences button, only the Default Prefs for HP will show. You need to go back to the playback window, choose "HP prefences" and then attach your own set of HP prefs to the Active file. When you go back to the plugin preferences your own set of HP prefs should show as well.

This strange behavior is probably caused by a bug in Finale (another one...[:)])

• last edited
    last edited

Hello Albert!

Thanks for your input. I will update the file soon, so that the low instruments get the right keyswitches. I'm interested in your settings. You can send me the file to a.olszewski@vsl.co.at

Best wishes,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Andi,

I just e-mailed you my HP prefs. I hope they are some use to you.

Another thought: Have you been in contact with Robert Piechaud? Since he is the maker of Human Playback it would be nice if he could provide some help. He's always very busy (aren't we all?) but I did have some contact with him last year regarding HP prefs for full version of Kontakt and GPO (they needed some tweaking... [:)]) Maybe worth a shot?

Albert 

• Hi Albert!

Thanks for your settings. They are quite similar to those in my file (surprise ;-))
    I made a new version of the Human Playback settings with low instruments included. The file should be online soon.

Oh and yes: I have already been in contact with Robert. [;)] 

Best,
    Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hi Andi, good to hear that you are in touch with Robert. If you need anyone to help develop/test the interaction between VSL and Finale, please keep me in mind. Michael

•  Hi Andi, you could add me as well to the list of volunteers for beta-testing of VSL/Finale! [:)]

Michael: I know you have done some HP prefs for some of the previous VSL libraries. Although they are not for SE they might be e start for HP prefs for the Cube and/or some of the bigger libraries?

/A 

• Yes, I have several HP pref sets for VI and have now done some for VE. To date I have not tried to put together a single master set. Michael

• Hello to all,

IĀ“ve read the interesting thread an wonder if the VSL-SE-Preset can also used with Finale2006.

If yes, I would like to try it, too.

Best, Rainer

• what a pity, no one with an old finale...

• Hello Rainer!

I can not test, if this file also works with older versions of Finale, as we only have Finale 2008 here at VSL. Why don't you just try and open it? [;)]

Best,

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Hello Andi,

thank you for the reply. I would try it, but in my user area there isnĀ“t something to download (neither under needfull things nor under manuals - only the setup manual for sibelius). Can you send it to me or make it downloadable, please?

Best,

Rainer

• Hello Rainer!

This file is only for the Special Edition. If you don't have the Special Edition, it is of no use for you and you won't see in the Needful Things section of your User area.

If you are planning to buy the Special Edition and want to test if the file opens with Finale 2006, I can send it to you. 

Best,

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • The Finale 2008 file will not open in Finale 2006 since Finale isn't backward compatible.

• Thanks for the info, Albert.

Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Well, I have the SE, but AlbertĀ“s information cleared the question quickly. Thank you both,

Best,

Rainer

• Ok, sorry then. It is not listed under your registered products. When you register it, you can download product related things like sound sets and updates.

Best,

Andi

Vienna Symphonic Library