Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,757 users have contributed to 42,369 threads and 255,369 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 61 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@cmm said:

Bump...

Bump...BUMP  

• Here is what I concluded. VSL must be doing this for their own esoteric reasons NOT to "maike more money" Because - this scheme basicly gurantees anyone who doesn't upgrade now will NEVER upgrade. So VSL I guess this is good bye.   I'll look to your competitors from here on out.    

• I see that there are people here who didn't wait for the middle of July (let alone the October extension), or even for the VSL's management to address the rest of us about the cryptic "our sales department will contact you" concerning a 12 month extension. They probably have their reasons - get to know the technology sooner than later, etc..

I am sure I am not the only one waiting for a hopeful answer here on this thread by the management. The most decent thing to do in my opinion, would be to honour their word to all customers that purchased the early expensive bulk-product under the advertized promise of perpetual upgrade-plans, and not to sell any more products in that fashion if they do not so wish. There are daily responses by the management on this forum to single potential-maybe customers. There are quite a few patrons (more than once) here still waiting. It cannot be anything other than continuing deliberation on VSL's part. That is the only reasonable explanation.

Regards,

Errikos.

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

I am sure I am not the only one waiting for a hopeful answer here on this thread by the management. The most decent thing to do in my opinion, would be to honour their word to all customers that purchased the early expensive bulk-product under the advertized promise of perpetual upgrade-plans, and not to sell any more products in that fashion if they do not so wish. There are daily responses by the management on this forum to single potential-maybe customers. There are quite a few patrons (more than once) here still waiting. It cannot be anything other than continuing deliberation on VSL's part. That is the only reasonable explanation.

Regards,

Errikos.

Errikos,

I fear that you are wrong in your assessment of the situation. I re-read Herb's penultimate post where he said, 

"Dear community I’d like to add some final words....."

I think that's what he meant - final words - i.e. End of!... Apart of course from his actual final post where he said that Sales would contact Fred Story. I'm not sure where that ended, but Fred hasn't posted since and I can't find a link to contact him privately to determine whether he was contacted, and/or whether he got any kind of satisfactory result.

I suppose it goes to show that no matter how loud people shout, how indignant they are, or how justified they believe their case to be, as many here do, or did, if you're in charge, you can just sit it out and it will blow over.

Quite sad really. [:'(]

Regards 

John 

• Yes, well it is that last cryptic post of Herb's about the sales department contacting Fred Story that is of great interest... And I would like to know the end of Fred Story's story, for some reason the menu which pops up for most people here when one presses 'contact' on their post doesn't seem to work for Fred Story's account. Fred, if you're reading this, and if you would care to, I would ask you to post here or message me privately concerning the outcome of your dealings with VSL in this respect.

Be that as it may John, I personally haven't "shouted" or become abusive, but I did feel indignant, and most people can either accept their fate in this case, walk away, or bring a class action suit as Matt Gates hinted as a possibility. Personally, I believe I have been very reasonable when for the last few posts I have been requesting clarity on what is happening:

As far as I know, Herb has moved the deadline to October 15 provided we get in touch with our sales representatives by the middle of July (that doesn't make me particularly happy, still it is better than July - maybe they figured out they were giving more people chance to upgrade by extending, and they thought whoever doesn't by then, in their books, never will).

These would indeed be final words at least from VSL, had Herb not hinted that it may be a possibility to have a 12 month extension when answering Fred Story. All 'honour' having already gone to hell, having taken almost all trust with it in the process, at least that kind of extension would redeem VSL in one great respect; that this is not all about a sales gimmick.

Herb, I don't understand this silence..  Would you clarify this for us? Is it too convoluted to have your sales department contact all Pro Edition customers in the way you suggested Fred Story would be contacted? Would you extend the deadline to next year?

Sincerely,

Errikos. 

• I received the offer to extend the upgrade by three months.
    Unfortunately I can't justify the $5K+ by october. Allowing a year would be the right thing to do imho and its worth at least my $5k to the VSL bank account to do so. Herb - just as a practical matter you may want to consider the lifetime cost of losing customers such as myself.
    By eliminating my upgrade path you run the real risk of eliminating me as a customer and with past being prologue I am worth at least $6000 to you over the next couple years. I can't jump and upgrade in six months but can and would in a year and it seems that there are more than a few of us in that same boat.
    10 guys equals $60K. Seems worth keeping the upgrade path going for another year.
    Not to mention the simple good will you would garner.

• Like Ed,

I have been offered a 3 month extension to make the upgrades. It's not a lot of time and I still feel like this move is alienating me as a long-time VSL customer. I will probably upgrade a handful  of my collections to VI while this offer is on (ie before July), but i really don't need the full set at the moment (at least not until I can buy another MacPro as a dedicated slave which may be more than a year away). I think their products are great and VE3 is amazing (especially if it learns to keep instruments in memory when switching projects), but I feel much less inclined to buy more of their products as a result of this decision. I also feel the responses and justifications given by Herb and the team haven't been up to their usual high standards of customer care, which is a little disappointing. 

Best,

David 

• Happy Birthday Dr. Schweitzer!

• Sorry guys. Between working on a scoring deadline and meeting with architects, bankers, etc. on our studio's upcoming move, I've been out of pocket for a bit. I've updated my profile to include my email address, so feel free to email privately if you'd like. Fred Story

• last edited
    last edited

@Fred Story said:

Sorry guys. Between working on a scoring deadline and meeting with architects, bankers, etc. on our studio's upcoming move, I've been out of pocket for a bit. I've updated my profile to include my email address, so feel free to email privately if you'd like. Fred Story

Welcome back Fred,

I am experiencing difficulties both with Safari and Firefox to get to your 'Profile' ("Oops something went wrong...") or message you privately... You could perhaps take the time and contact me privately or reply here concerning your query about a 12-month extension for a VIP upgrade. Did you have any luck with that? We have "all" been awaiting the outcome.

Best wishes,

Errikos. 

• I've rather enjoyed this telenovela of a thread.  Everyday I was eager to read the next plot twist.  In fact, I'm currently composing a score for it.  Using VSL of course.

All smartassness aside, I'm a relatively new user who really isn't affected by this and whose opinion probably doesn't matter but I feel for you legacy customers who find yourselves in this unfortunate situation.  This coming from a hardcore capitalist who usually reads threads like this and says, "oh! quit your bitchin'.  If you don't like go use somebody else's product." 

Now far be it for me to critisize VSL's business practices but if VSL made a promise to you then they should keep it.  I have a lot of respect for the VSL team.  They have put their blood sweat and tears in this endevour and it is a truely amazing product that rivals anything else on the market.  Although I'm a new customer, I've been keeping an eye on VI for a couple of years and finally saved enough money to buy some of their collections.  Money well spent as far as I'm concerned and I'm looking forward to buying more.  That being said, if too many upgrade paths was the reason for this then shouldn't have you thought of that before making the promise, "never pay for the same samples twice?"

As I said, my opinion doesn't matter much but I hope VSL reconsiders and offers you legacy customers some relief. 

Now Fred, we're all on the edge of our seats, how about that response from the sales department so we can get some resolution and [Fade to Black].

• So here it is. A couple of days after Herb mentioned that I would be contacted by VSL's sales department, I received a lengthy - and extremely cordial - email from Stefan Steinbauer. Stefan told me that VSL could not extend the original upgrade offer for a year as I had requested. He gave me additional details on how I can lock in original upgrade prices through October 15th. After that, if I upgrade libraries between October 15th and December 31st, VSL will give me one or more free extended libraries - depending on how many I choose to upgrade. I would need to let them know in advance how many that is, so they can determine how many free extended libraries they can offer. That's the extent of it. So while I'm obviously disappointed, I give VSL credit for communicating with me personally and extending an olive branch offer.

• You can add my name to the list of disgruntled VSL users. I currently own the Pro Edition Symphonic Cube and was anticipating upgrading to VI next year when I should have the funds to do so. Instead like many here I feel a little hard done by. I understand the reasons for not changing the deadline date. You have been making it clear for a long time now that there is a looming deadline and thus many users have been persuaded to part with their cash and upgrade ASAP. It is a classic marketing strategy and a guaranteed way of generating a good influx of cash. So now you feel obliged to stick to that deadline or risk looking like fools in the eyes of all those which have already upgraded. Unfortunately this strategy has also alienated some of your valuable customers which have been left behind. Like me [:(]

Would you consider making the VI package available on a monthly payment scheme for VIP members who wish to upgrade but have missed the deadline date? Would this be an acceptable compromise?

• You can add my name too to the list of disgruntled VSL users.
    I was using East/West QLSO Platinum until July.

I am a little VSL user, just bought the Appassionata beginning of July.

I am a Horizon Guitare owner that missed the upgrade path, 3 days too late !!!!

I wanted to buy the Special Edition, but I have postpone this buy until VSL offer again an upgrade path
    Looks like VSL is too rich and do not care to lose customers

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Since July 15th there are new discounts when you want to upgrade from Special Edition to the Concert Guitar (or Overdrive)

http://vsl.co.at/en/211/496/721/534/1438/1051.htm 

best

Herb

• Hi Herb
    Thanks you for your answer
    Correct me if I am wrong
    So I need to spend :
    145 € for Concert guitare extended + 810 € for SE Extended to get the 25 € discount ! this is a total of 955 € - 25 € so the bill will be 935 €

I wanted to buy the Special Edition Standard first. I can afford only 345 € now !

If Father Christmass is generous with me I will upgrade SE standard to SE Extended for Christmass !

Best

Cyril
    P.S I have send you a PM, no answer !!!

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" - 1 x 27" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D Dolby Atmos --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • In the Performance Tool Training DVD Paul states that you will never pay for a sample twice. I guess he really did not mean that.

I just upgraded from OPUS 1 and 2 to Pro Complete.

I have to say though. Once I got over the double talk about upgrading the library, the performance tool is awesome!

Thanks VSL! I really like you and really don't like you. It is a strange feeling :)

• Maybe they wanted the immediate cash as capital to finalise stuff on MIR/Choirs/Any Number of Projects. Don't really blame them tbh.

• last edited
    last edited

@Robert Munnelly said:

Maybe they wanted the immediate cash as capital to finalise stuff on MIR/Choirs/Any Number of Projects. Don't really blame them tbh.
    It is not merely as simple as that!.. I am sure you do not have the time to go throughout this thread and read all the argumentation for yourself, but I think you will find that VSL did not offer any real defense concerning their abrupt confiscation of our perpetual VIP rights, something really hurting people like myself who had licensed the complete orchestral library, and I think you will find that ±90% of their customers had very strong feelings about this. It is because of this that I write this post, not necessarily to bring this topic up again, but I didn't feel your post reflected the general sentiment of the previous ±280, so although welcome, it really should not be the "last word" on this serious matter...

• A little perspective is needed. You say 90% of their customers had very strong feelings. How many customers do you think they have. A few hundred? a few thousand? tens of thousands? I suspect nearer the latter. I haven't counted but I suspect the number of people (not posts) on this forum who have had very strong feelings is no more than 150. I think we're a little closer to 1% expressing very strong feelings.