Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,414 users have contributed to 42,226 threads and 254,785 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 15 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

•  Hi Christian,

In system pref/network/ ethernet configuration / manual advanced mode i have 3 options : 10baseT/UTP  -  100 base TX  - and 1000 base T all with different duplex semi duplex etc...options.

i tried to force to 1000 base T but then Ethernet doesn't seems to work, basicaly it works in 100 base TX when connected to my router 4 port witch is connected to the freebox (witch is like another router as i understand it)

If  follow your explanation i could leave this in automatic mode as it find the apropriate connection speed, but i thought like for manual IP adress vs DHCP i should set it up manually so it is stable...

For the cable i'll see what happens when i'll connect a Giga switch into my network and then test VE3 and see if it works fine.

As for the switch i'll have to do further research because what i found is a : TRENDNET  TEG-S80TXE (8 port around 50 euros)and it was used on Mac G4 !! and need a PCI slot available !! i'm not getting this very clear i admit but as i said, need to be looked closer...

otherwise they are plenty of 24 or 26 port switch for around 100 euros and that's probably what you think i should get...right ? (even if i don't need so many ports)

cheers

stephane 

• i see - if your network port is connected to a router which can only 100Mbit, than changing manually the speed to 1 Gbit will have no effect - except that communication stops between both devices .... you need either a direct cable between 1 Gbit ethernet ports or a gigabit switch between them.

be aware of the dumping strategy of too many suppliers and don't buy switches which are too cheap .... often their backplane cannot handle the traffic appropriately - stay with trademarks a cisco, 3com, netgear (t name a few) - i had bad experience with D-Link and LinkSys lately ...

8 ports for about 100 USD/EUR should be the range of good quality devices ... same goes for additional network cards btw, use intel, broadcom, 3Com even if they cost a few bucks more ...

the PCI-based switch you are referring to probably leaves the work to the computer - so i cannot recommend such a device ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  •  Hi Christian,

I made the followind testing with no more succes :

Connecting directly the 2 mac together through Ethernet (not cennected to internet) with a cross-over cable and once with automatic setings (DHCP / Autoselect speed) and second with manual setings (manual IP, no DNS, no Router, forced to 1000 base-T,  the mode "command+K" working fine so the see eatch other...) and i steel get audio drop out !

so i wonder if any of this will change with a switch between them as the setings should be the same (exept DNS & router adress) ?

What am i doing wrong here ? i thought i underdstand all you tald me but eather something is not working for my setup or I missed something you explained to me...sorry for being so slow ;-) 

•  Any idea ? (see previous post)

•  i'd like to be able to make this work...please ! why it doesn't work when i connect my two macs dirrectly ?

thanks

stephane 

• Stephane,

When do the dropouts occur?

What are the cpu loads of your master / slave machines when you experience the dropouts?

Thanks,

Martin

•  Hi martin,

the drop out occur randomly (from xx ms to 1 or 2 sec) and the CPU load of the slave is betwenn 10 and 20 % (with 5 VI inst open) the master is rather low because nothing else than the VE3 through network is opened in Cubase 4... 

stephane 

• There is a situation that can occur with a few Apple laptop models (older Macbooks and MBP's), where an active Airport can cause timing interruptions in the traffic flowing on the Gigabit port. (probably when scanning for wireless networks). VE3 is very sensitive to such interruptions.

Please disable the airport on the laptop and see if this helps for you.

Thanks,

Martin

• anything exept Ethernet is off !!

no Airport, No Bluetooth, no Appletalk or desktop remote, not even connected to the internet !!

I'm very surprised as this direct connection should be no trouble but unfortunatly it's not working and i don't know how to make it work...

regards

stephane 

•  Hi Martin and Christian,

I wanted to thank you for your helps so far, even if we didn't found where the problem came from.

I'll be off my studio untill mai 12th and my demo version will come to and end so I don't know what to think know...

VE3 seem to be a good solution and 'ill be ok to spend the 95 euros for the definitive authorisation but i'll be in a much better

situation if i knew this is working fine on my system or knowing what's wrong in my system to make it work properly.

If you have further ideas please let me know and i'll check that when i'll come back.

regards

stephane 

• Stephane,

which latency are you running inside DP?

Martin 

• Martin,

you must have answered to the wrong thread :-)

I'm not running DP but Cubase (see my spec in the signature) and my latency is usualy 512 Mo for 11ms more or less.

• Hi, 'm in the middle of hacking this exact problem on a MacBook Pro and a G5 Dual 2 ghz. I have dropouts, exactly as described here. So, to investigate further, I tried the setup in both directions. The G5 as slave and master with a MacBook Pro. I discovered that the MacBook proved a superior master because it take a substantially smaller and more manageable CPU hit from VE3. VE3 runs much more efficiently on an Intel mac than it does on a G5. VE3 takes substantially more CPU resources on a G5 than it does on a Dual Core Intel Mac with roughly the same capabilities. Opening the same VE program on both machines results in the following CPU demands, as found in Activity Manager: G5 - 80% Intel - 30% The same program on both machines. I would make your Intel machine your master. My conclusion was simple - you actually need real CPU resources to run VE3's networking component, and the code works better on Intel. As you have read in this forum and others, Vienna recommends running VE3 in Vista or XP64, a deeper intel codebase. Fitz

• Just dropping in to say I myself haven't been able to solve it myself (I posted the original post in this thread) .. and now my VE3 has just expired :(

I need to catch up with the last few posts here, too  - and wait to see if anyone cracks it before I spend money on VE3 (which I will if this issue can be resolved).

Am very grateful for all posts so far - and in the future - on this! [:)] 

BTW I have read in some forums - I think the NI forum and some general mac forums - that there is an issue with macbooks and ethernet drop outs generally..... can anyone comment on that?!

If VSL want to supply an additional time limited license I will keep looking for a solution myself - but I understand they may not want to do that! 

It's really annoying because apart from the drop outs my set up rocked ... c'est la vie(nna)! ;)

• just got back from a small vacation.

i'll buy VE3 so i'll be able to continue this research and i'm suposed to be in contact with Martin to try solving this probleme, when we'll find a solution or an explanation i'm shure it will be posted here by myself or someone from VSL ;-)

I'm not so worried as i have friends that use VE3 with no trouble and i love the idea so much that i don't mind spending those 95 euros but i respect you point and i'm shure it is in the interest of Vienna to make it work on any set up.

will report soon.

stephane 

• orchestralalala, it appears you are either using different accounts for the community and the user area or you don't have received a VE3 demo activation ... please email me for a new demo ...

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • last edited
    last edited

@cm said:

orchestralalala, it appears you are either using different accounts for the community and the user area or you don't have received a VE3 demo activation ... please email me for a new demo ...

christian

Yes I am using different accounts on different browsers... this is my 'forum posting' account in Firefox so that I don't get the text format problem with my other one on Safari, which I use for updates etc.

Anyway I'll email you from my registered email.

Thanks. 

EDIT >> I tried emailing you but the page wouldn't complete after clicking send - I don't know itf the email was sent. I have PM'd you as well (from Safari with bad text formatting, sorry!)

• I'm having the exact same issue on DP5.13. Exact. Master: G5 dual 2.5GHz/6.5G RAM 10.4.11 DP5.13 828mkII All latest VE3/VI updates Slave: G5 dual 2.5GHz 6.5G RAM 10.4.11 Samples on a FW800 external drive Gigabit switch The setup works fine for audio when running Logic 8 on the master, but it's unusable with DP5.13 with any combination of buffer settings, multipliers, etc. And the behavior is essentially random: audio dropout (all channels), followed by a skip in timing in DP. The setup also works fine with ProTools HD 7.4 as the master. So it's pretty safe to say that the networking and drive setups are all in good shape. Is anyone successfully using VE3 and DP5.13? I've had to switch back to using it in standalone mode piping MIDI and audio the old-fashioned way. Thanks, Jason Staczek www.chromasound.net

client: Mac Mini M1 8G OS 14.1.1 VE Pro 7.2.3388 server: MacBook Pro 2019 2.4Ghz 8-core i9 64G OS 14.0 VE Pro 7.3.3502 client <-> server dual NICs, dedicated 1000baseT connection, no switch, manual IP client + server on LAN via primary NIC using DHCP
  • HI,

Don't suppose anyone found a solution to this?........ I have the same issue on a G5 and Macbook........which ever one is the slave/master....

I'm thinking i need to buy a better computer....

Cheers
    Paul

• Be careful, though. It works fine for me in Pro Tools and Logic, just not Digital Performer. I don't think a new computer would help in my case.

I haven't upgraded to DP6, though. Have you tried that? Maybe it works better?

Jason

client: Mac Mini M1 8G OS 14.1.1 VE Pro 7.2.3388 server: MacBook Pro 2019 2.4Ghz 8-core i9 64G OS 14.0 VE Pro 7.3.3502 client <-> server dual NICs, dedicated 1000baseT connection, no switch, manual IP client + server on LAN via primary NIC using DHCP