Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,489 users have contributed to 42,233 threads and 254,816 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• Hi,

So I'm thinking of getting Altiverb soon to get some nice reverb to my VSL instruments.  Before I do so, is there any hint of an updated word as to when we can expect MIR?  If it's within this year, I may hold off on the Altiverb purchase.

Many thanks,

Afshin

• If you want to work _now_, then get AltiVerb, please. 8-) ... although "within a year" sounds very reasonable to me.

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Well Dietz

Since we are at it...

... when do I get my Hallfahne of the most prestigious concert hall on this planet, well known to all record lovers for its wonderful acoustics and venue of choice for great artists, acclaimed for its superior acoustic, for all its classical recordings, a Who's Who of classical music recorded in this Salle: Claudio Arrau, Alfred Brendel, Krystian Zimerman, the Beaux Arts Trio, I Musici, Quarteto Italiano, Henryk Szering, Arthur Grumiaux, Gidon Kremer, Mischa Maisky etc., Martha Argerich recorded the Schumann violin sonatas in this Salle...

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/RecordingRoomOne_2-1.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/RecordingRoomOne-1.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd269/AngeloClematide/RecordingRoomOne_plan-1.jpg

• Thanks for the update Dietz, In reading about MIR which sounds real exciting. I was to looking into the Altiverb and 8-core macpro. Then i started reading more about the MIR now I'm having second thoughts about getting either of them now. I know people say if you need to get a new system now, get it. It would help out allot to have a 8-core, but i dont need it to live, i can wait. But if i dont have to and can get the best of both world that would be nice too. I see the team is working hard on the code with getting the cpu cycles down. But knowing how 8-core are and how things change so fast. Do you think with VSL ,MIR,VE3, and other reverbs and DAW that 8-cores will handle the MIR. Or should i just wait to see if those fantom 16-cores will come out. Even at that, will that 16-core hoarse be enough to handle MIR? Im a person who can wait. But if MIR is eating 8-cores for ice cream. Then i think i better walk away from the window and come back later. What do you think. Also what system are you test the MIR on. And how much Liquid Helium does it use.

• last edited
    last edited
    [i]Sorry for the late reply, I'm recovering from a one-week vacation 😉 ... [/i]

@CplusE said:

[...] Do you think with VSL ,MIR,VE3, and other reverbs and DAW that 8-cores will handle the MIR. Or should i just wait to see if those fantom 16-cores will come out. [...]
    When everything turns out the way we intend it, our programming team has cut the demands of the engine by a factor of eight to ten in its most recent incarnation - turning the MIR from a CPU-cycle-guzzling monster into an efficient workhorse.

That said, it never hurts to have as much power at hand as possible! 8-)

Best,

• Hi to this thread,

I recently downloaded the MIR video file, and l still like replaying it as the music and all the ideas presented are pretty exciting. As an altiverb user, I sometimes put the live mix through altiverb - I have 2 gigs ram, plus a core 2 duo processor based on windows xp. But, I don't use the individual altiverbs for each section / instrument, just one overall altiverb for everything. But, when it comes to mixing the individual instruments, I of course, turn  the reverb off and export each midi instrument performance,  as a "no reverb" audio file in cubase, to another folder,  then make a mix with just these  audio tracks of course [and only audio tracks] , and thats when I add the different orchestral positions and as many instances  of altiverb as I need for each orchestral section - as anyone who knows altiverb may do, and I have a number of different altiverb instances with the tail turned off etc, and only add a tail on the one main altiverb in which all of the audio is streaming through etc etc.

Now - with MIR, some of you with a really powerful computer set up eg more than one computer, and VE3 on another, will be able to use MIR on their live midi instrument tracks- and now, that Dietz has mentioned that the programming team has cut the cpu usage by MIR down significantly, maybe I will to also be able to do that with my pc set up, but, with MIR, will we still be able to use it on individual audio tracks on a final mix as I have mentioned I do [rather than midi playback], as one does with altiverb [and I know that many altiverb users use it quite differently than I do]?

thanks if Dietz, or anyone else who is knowledgeable about MIR will know.

thanks and best,

Steve[:D]

• Question about MIR : Will it be possible to install it on a computer, samplers on two, and the main midi software on another? In fact, will it be possible to use it on a standalone system?

• Will it cost less than 1,500 Euros?

• last edited
    last edited

@Robert Munnelly said:

Will it cost less than 1,500 Euros?
    Please understand that we won't publish numbers officially before the actual product is ready for the market, but a gut feeling tells me that you will be pleasently surprised. 😉

And due to our latest developments the computer to host the MIR won't cost you an arm and a leg, either.

• last edited
    last edited

@SyQuEsT said:

Question about MIR : Will it be possible to install it on a computer, samplers on two, and the main midi software on another? In fact, will it be possible to use it on a standalone system?

Yes, that's most certainly part of our plans.

• :D You rock, Dietz. A few weeks ago me and some friends had a drinking game [born and bred in Ireland, forgive us] based around every time Dietz said 'on your desktop' in on of the tutorial videos.

• last edited
    last edited

@Robert Munnelly said:

😄 You rock, Dietz. A few weeks ago me and some friends had a drinking game [born and bred in Ireland, forgive us] based around every time Dietz said 'on your desktop' in on of the tutorial videos.
    So you are absolutely sober since weeks now, as I didn't talk in any tutorial video. ;-D

• We Irish don't need a reason to drink. Was talking to some visiting Americans some time ago and their college was a 'dry campus'. That would never happen here. Fellas, back me up.

•  Hey Robert,

where abouts are you? I thought I was the only one here from ireland.

• An fellow Irish person! I'm from Dublin but living in Maynooth. What about yourself? Beer? :D

• I have never even heard of a "dry campus." The entire concept is inconceivable. You must have been talking to escaped lunatics. 

• What University was it? [B][D][:)] Their education is in jeopardy.

• Some kids from SC, if I recall. Voting for Obama, too. Oh yes, I have election fever.

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

But maybe we've found a new way to overcome these enourmous CPU-requirements in a very elegant way

Here's a completely bonkers idea: find a way to push the more intensive calculations out to one (or more) Playstation 3s across the network. It's done wonders for the Folding@Home project to release a PS3 client, because of the PS3's ludicrous parallel computational oomph.

• I'm interested to know if you guys will eventually be sampling more venues for MIR in addition to the Wiener Konzerthaus.