Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,606 users have contributed to 42,245 threads and 254,865 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 21 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• Oops, looks like the link I put in the last post didn't make it...trying again. http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/02/

• Thanks for the link.  Interestingly, it appears that my upgrade from a Quicksilver Dual 800 to a G5 Dual 2.7 in terms of processing power is roughly the same as my anticipated upgrade will be to a Mac Pro 3.2 (when the next models come out) -- roughly 4 times.  Can't wait to see what's in store in the next three years. 

• Julian; The increase in speed would probably be more in the neighborhood of 8-10 times your dual G5! No way I would buy a 3.2ghz. Total waste of money in my opinion. Buy the 2.8 dual quad core. Put the rest of the money on the bank (or buy more Vienna Instruments) and wait for the next major Mac upgrade. Feel lucky.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jamzone said:

Julian; The increase in speed would probably be more in the neighborhood of 8-10 times your dual G5! No way I would buy a 3.2ghz. Total waste of money in my opinion. Buy the 2.8 dual quad core.
    Purchases are not always made with 'needs' in mind. Sometimes we purchase an item simply because we 'want' it - therefore, it can never be a waste of money.

• Well, that's your opinion. Seems like this fella is going for the most cost effective solution...

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

The compatibility of songs created in previous versions is somewhat buggy and incomplete in LP8 which anyone working on long running projects, or working on remixes, or having an archive will be concerned about.

"I can't say that isn't the case for you, but I have not had any trouble in that department myself."

Most of the comments about Logic 8 are subjective, but this point is actually factual: Logic 8 doesn't open some  older sequences that Logic 7 will. I forget how far back it chokes, but I do know that the v.5 sequences I tried simply won't open - I mean you even get a dialog telling you that the session is incompatible.

Anyone who's been using Logic long enough to have sequences this old should not remove v.7.

• Until some brave soul tests the differences between 2.8, 3.0 and 3.2 machines with the applications that forum participants use, it's hard to come to an objective understanding of what real-world performance differences might be.For a really in depth analysis of the new machines, I'd direct people to the test of the 2.8GHz machine at www.amug.org (you don't have to be a member to read the reviews). 

As to Logic 7 vs. Logic 8: Logic 8 lacks the useful Audio Configuration window of Logic 7 and it consumes a bit more processing power - - important  perhaps to some G5 users.  Logic 8 is also slightly less legible - - at least to my tired eyes. On the other hand, it has many enhancements.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jamzone said:

Well, that's your opinion. Seems like this fella is going for the most cost effective solution...
    Really? What kind of car do you drive? I drive a Mercedes CLK 240 convertible and I also have a Volkswagon Golf 2.8 4Motion.

Do you think decisions like that are made on cost effectiveness?

• hi Stevesong-thanks for the link to the apple pro test page-really helped-the increase is %14 in power on the Mac 3.2 model compared to the 2.8- so that now has to be weighed up against my budget-£6000-which includes memory,sibelius,logic hard drives and VI's.The general concensus is that in a Mac pro with ample RAM these are not real issues in audio and sample performance if RAID drives are used and the OS is all 64bit-this offers me 8-10 times the power i have at the moment which is awesome.

• Get a couple of extra hard drives and a copy of Logic 7.2 also. Just to be safe.

• last edited
    last edited

@Jamzone said:

Well, that's your opinion. Seems like this fella is going for the most cost effective solution...
    Really? What kind of car do you drive? I drive a Mercedes CLK 240 convertible and I also have a Volkswagon Golf 2.8 4Motion.

Do you think decisions like that are made on cost effectiveness? I have a ford mondeo!!! 😊 but also i have graduated from the Royal College of music-won awards for composition,graduated from Oxford studying music-have a sister whos a concert pianist and have the ability to get from a to b at my own speed in my mondeo.Which is what im trying to do here with getting peoples advice on the Mac...if i need advice on a sports car and how to impress people with my wheels i'll let you know. cheers

• If it's any consolation to you for the future - and your future transportation - I also attended The Royal College of Music - but sadly didn't win any awards. Come to think of it, you're first Mondeo Man that has a concert pianist sister, I've communicated with this year, I believe :))))

Be careful with Logic 8 and the Mac Pro 8 core is my advice. There are still a legion of problems and this technology will be good one day when they sort it out. Therefore, by all means get Mac Pro 3.0 litre or 3.2 litre with extra fuel jets - but as I said - get an extra hard drive or two - stick Logic 7.2.3 and Tiger 10.4.11 on it just to be on the safe side. It's all bollocks at the end of the day - it's all about making music on a system that works and is tested - and 7.2 and Tiger works pretty well.

Now if you'll excuse me - I need to oversee the cleaning of my cars! :))

• Hi Brian, Watch out for that new CO2 tax on your Mondeo! Hope your system comes together smoothly and provides hours of compositional pleasure. Julian

• Yes indeed - and hours of pleasurable driving too - perhaps with his sister!

• In this case, yes, I don't think he wants to spend money on something that he doesn't need. You could buy Appassionata full library and Special Edition Standard and still have change... When it comes to cars, that's a different matter. I drive a BMW 540i. Worth every gallon... :)

• last edited
    last edited

@Jamzone said:

When it comes to cars, that's a different matter. I drive a BMW 540i. Worth every gallon... :)

I rest my case. And with a car like that - who knows - you could show Brian's concert pianist sister what driving is really like!!!

Fancy making a concert pianist go round in a smelly old Mondeo. What's the world coming to!

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

If it's any consolation to you for the future - and your future transportation - I also attended The Royal College of Music - but sadly didn't win any awards. Come to think of it, you're first Mondeo Man that has a concert pianist sister, I've communicated with this year, I believe :))))

Be careful with Logic 8 and the Mac Pro 8 core is my advice. There are still a legion of problems and this technology will be good one day when they sort it out. Therefore, by all means get Mac Pro 3.0 litre or 3.2 litre with extra fuel jets - but as I said - get an extra hard drive or two - stick Logic 7.2.3 and Tiger 10.4.11 on it just to be on the safe side. It's all bollocks at the end of the day - it's all about making music on a system that works and is tested - and 7.2 and Tiger works pretty well.

Now if you'll excuse me - I need to oversee the cleaning of my cars! :))
    excellent-now what did you study-who were your tutors? what year did you graduate? maybe we have friends in common? hey-theres a first time for everything-first time ive met a former royal college grad (im assuming you did graduate?) with such a fine collection of shiny cars!!! wax on wax off and all that!.

• youre assuming to much sir...shes drives a land rover-very posh you know.the only thing smelly here is your attitude-you seem bitter?...maybe the worlds not ready for such an astute and sharp wit as yours...happy driving..watch out for trees and lamp posts and sheep. idiot

• last edited
    last edited

@dreamthemes said:

youre assuming to much sir...
    It's Lord.

• last edited
    last edited

@dreamthemes said:

youre assuming to much sir...
    It's Lord. yeah...laudable more like