Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,602 users have contributed to 42,243 threads and 254,863 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 46 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@dreamthemes said:

When you say I've got to understand the discrepancies on Apple's ROM prices,are you implying that OWC 's bargain basement computers sticks are unreliable and a 'chance you take' compared to usings Apple's own?

Absolutely not!! RAM is a commodity made by only a very few companies in the world (e.g Samsung, Micron and a few others). What I was getting at in the statement you quoted is just how outrageously overpriced RAM sold by Apple is - - not that it has some "superior" quality.

Apple does NOT manufacture RAM, they simply put their label on RAM made by one of the companies that manufacture RAM and sell it at an exorbitant price.

The RAM you purchase from Other World Computing is of the same quality and made by the same manufacturers.

There is, however, a difference in the warranty. RAM sold by Apple has the same warranty as the computer in which it is installed - - 1 year, or, if you purchase an AppleCare extended warranty, 3 years.

In contrast, RAM sold by Other World Computing has a lifetime advance replacement warranty. In the unlikely event that you get a bad RAM stick or one goes bad, you call OWC, get an return authorization number and they immediately send you a replacement without charging you unless you fail to return the defective stick within a specified (30 days I believe) time period. In other words, the warranty offered by OWC is far superior to that offered by Apple.

I have purchased RAM from Other World Computing over the course of many years and NEVER had a problem. I have recommended OWC RAM to colleagues and they similarly have never encountered any problems. The college at which I taught for many years purchased RAM from OWC and had no problems. OWC maintains a testing lab engaged in testing all the RAM they sell.

Another fact is that OWC continues to stock RAM for almost any Mac ever manufactured - - for example, System 6 diehards will be glad to know that they can still buy RAM from OWC at reasonable prices for the Mac II manufactured in 1987, so you know that a number of years from now you will still be able to purchase the RAM you might need for a now current computer. 

When I say that RAM is a commodity, I mean that it is traded like a commodity and its price actually changes constantly - - I was once in a RAM trading room where I could observe the price of chips ticking up and down every second. Large companies bid on large quantities and the price is set by supply and demand as in any commodities market.  

• Apart from being great on the financial side, your post gives me confidence to order the ram..cant thank you enough for the info.! Once i pay for shipping (UK) i should still be ahead!! How do Apple justify this rip off?! gggrr!

• ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Notation Programs & Vienna on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Finale on
  • ErisnoE Erisno moved this topic from Dorico on