Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,119 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

•  Well, if this turns out to be the "who-builds-the-most-expensive-system" thread ... I enjoy[H]

Since I look into building a server now, I stumbled over this:

http://www.da-x.de/PC-Audiosysteme/8-Kern-Systeme:::844_949.html

Anybody bought one of those and wants to say something about them?

One question I asked (I know - I asked to many) is still not answered for me:

I really would like to go for an apogee sympony! But right now all I need is the Analog I/Os of Rosetta - wich leaves me with only one ADAT I/O. Is there any way to add more digital I/Os to a symphony card? If not - would it be practical to add a RME card to the G5 (in additon to symphony)?

Or would you rather go for a RME madi system then? How is latency and sound with the ADI converters compared to apogee symphony? 

• CM,

My understanding from the US RME rep is that it is necessary to use the hardware i/o for the loopbacks. In other words, you can not use 64 channels for software loopback and 64 channels for audio i/o simultaneously. Each software loopback track eats up a hardware track.

Also, I haven't yet been able to find via Google any 15K 300GB SAS drives on the web. Although Apple is already offering them at $800 each. Apple's SAS RAID card is $800 also and is required if you are using the SAS drives. So that would be $3200 for a 900GB RAID. A little steep I think - especially considering the cost of the Mac Pro, monitors, 16-32GB of RAM, etc. Using an UltraSCSI, three 10K drives and an enclosure would be about half that price.

For my setup, I'll need more than the two PCIe 1.0 and one remaining PCIe 2.0 slot. So an expansion chassis is unavoidable. Unless I stick with only one Mac Pro. Then I would have only one MADI card, one SCSI card and an extra FW card for the audio interface to the G5 reverb machine.

•  A Seagate ST3300655SS CHEETAH 15k 300GB SAS drive is available from Penguin Express for $477.50. See:

http://www.penguinsexpress.com/product.asp?pf_id=ST3300655SS&gkw=ST3300655SS&gad=CMmggM8DEggtbKcHVS-B1xiX_r3-AyCt79BM

A similar drive (Seagate ST3300555SS) is available at DiscountTech for $395.00. See:

http://discountechnology.com/Products/SAS-Serial-Attached-SCSI 

I've never dealt with Penguin Express or DiscountTech, so I can't vouch for either company's reliability, but their prices are the lowest I've seen so far for this drive.  

IMHO, forget the G5, not nearly enough processing power (I have a dual 2.5GHz G5 that I plan to replace with one of the new 8 processor machines - -  when 3rd party RAM becomes available at a reasonable price - - precisely because my G5 lacks sufficient processing power to use the 7GB of RAM it has.) Will make a good slave machine, no doubt.....

I will try a much less expensive SATA RAID 0 array - - with journaling turned off - - before springing for SAS (2 X 500GB SATA = $260 - $300 depending on the drives).  Also, according to Apple', the SAS option precludes using Windows on the machine. You can get 8 port cards for external SAS from ATTO. One card (for $395) is limited to RAID 0, the other (for $1095) allows many varieties of RAID (e.g. 0.1.5. etc.) An external configuration for samples would appear to allow you to use Windows on the machine as well as OSX.

See:

http://www.attotech.com/sashostadaptertechnology.html 

• stevesong,

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

• Hmm, checked out those drives in that Discount Tech link. Interesting stuff... The drive for $395/ea., the Seagate ST3300555SS is 15K but the fine print sez 'limited to to 10K performance'. The Seagate ST3300655SS is called a 15K.5 drive and its fine print doesn't indicated any 10K-type performance issue. It's $505/ea.

So it's about $100 more per drive but sounds like a safer bet if I'm paying all this money for the best performance.

Wish I knew more about these things before I spring for some.

Edit:

Here's more... The Penguin drive is the 15K.5 - for $477.55

•  Jack:

You might want to wait a little before springing for an SAS system. Remember that a two drive 1 Terabyte SATA RAID 0 that will cost you $250-300 is about twice as fast as a single drive, a three drive RAID 0, 3 times as fast, etc. RAID 0 seems ok for sample streaming since you don't need to worry about data loss - - if a drive fails the data on the whole RAID 0 array is lost, but since this data is on the DVDs you simply reinstall it. Even better if, as I did, you made disk images of the DVDs on a hard drive and installed them from there. Once you've done this, installation or reinstallation is much faster than from the DVDs.  

Good news on the RAM front. Other World Computing is offering 800MHz ECC RAM for the new machines at prices only slightly higher than charged for the 667MHz RAM used by the previous generation of machines.

Prive Comparison:

16 GB (8 X 2GB):

Apple: $3500    Other World Computing $699 

16 GB (4 X 4 GB):

Apple: $4300    Other World Computing $1399

32 GB  (8 X 4 GB):

Apple: $9100    Other World Computing: $2750

the link for Other World Computing is:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

Other reputable 3rd party suppliers are likely to offer competitive pricing. (I checked TransIntl but the pricing listen on the site appears incorrect at the moment since everything from 4GB to 32 GB is shown as having the same price - - check later in the day.) The link for TransIntl is

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2725&RequestTimeOut=500

I hope this is useful. 

• Hi Stevesong,

Thanks for the links and the reminder about the RAM speed. Good stuff.

The main goal is rotational speed in order to access all those samples. HIgher throughput is good but secondary. I am quite happy with the new speed standards on buss, RAM and PCI cards. Each of those things should help incrementally to allow all of us to use more computer resources for sample playback.

In my particular case, If I want to access the 64 channel internal loopback within Mac Pro1 and 64 channels external replay from Mac Pro2 I will want all the resources I can muster to let Mac Pro1 (the host for Logic) go as far as it can before it begins to choke.

Looking forward to more good links from you. Thanks a ton.

• Check out barefeats.com. They test Macs, drives in various configurations and post results. Currently they are waiting for the new MacPros to arrive. Also there are many tests done and published by A.M.U.G. (Arizona Mac Users Group). I'd wait a little to see if there are some tests of the SAS drives in the new Mac Pro's before spending the money on this extremely expensive configuration. Also, if you decide to go the SAS route, you might want consider the less expensive ATTO cards which are RAID 0 only - - as RAID 0 is what would be fastest for streaming samples. I'd give the folks at ATTO a call regarding this - - and also ask them where one might obtain external SAS enclosures (so far I have not been able to find a supplier for these.)

•  I believe the Adaptec enclosure described here is a bare unit without its own power supply, meant to fit inside a host case. The link for AMUG is http://www.amug.org/

They have unusually extensive and detailed tests. One interesting observation is that a 4 drive SATA RAID 0 is as fast or faster in reads and writes than the figures Apple publishes for a three drive SAS RAID 5. Check out this website. 

• I have a G5 Quad with 10 GB Ram. It runs exceptionally smoothly. I Run Vienna Ensemble alongside Nuendo and Plogue Bidule, which is hosting 2 instanced of Kontakt. Total Ram usage in my current project: 7GB. Vienna Ensemble is set-up as a standalone, and is addressed as such thanks to it's own 828 dedicated to it, whilst Nuendo runs though a bank of 424's, to monitor all this. All on the same machine. In the future I will dedicate a Mac to VE, to improve latency, which is currently at 256 samples (a sacrifice made partly because Nuendo currently has a law of diminishing returns problem with multi-core machines, which affects monitoring in particular).