Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,119 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• I think that the Fritz's question could be very useful.

When I bought my first PC I followed the vendor advises and it was a nite-mare. Then  I spended a lot of time through FORUMs and my second one was very good (4 years of heavy working without a single problem). There are many good example all around about PCs working set-ups but very few news about Workstations and Servers. As they cost a lot of money more specific examples of working set-ups should be appreciate.

I PERFECTLY KNOW that 2 computers made of the same pieces could give very different behaviours and so nobody would be guilty for suggesting!!

For example, I don't understand why 2 core CPUs and 4 core CPUs with similar speed differ so little in price (maybe because they differ so little in performance, but if it is so, why they made them,? Just to text them on our shoulders??)

Another idea, would it be a good idea to buy the same processor and everything you can find in a MAC Pro and instead to build a Xeon W XP64  PC saving a lot, (some 1000 euros) for buyng more Vienna Intruments?

Sergino

• fritz, it looks like many of the pyramid machines _are_ supermicro (what else), you will find supermicro systems in many OEM products ...

i personally don't use dell because they don't provide sufficient information about the used motherboards and i don't like surprises too much.

regarding 2) i mentioned 4-core CPUs (along with intel 5000 chipsets) don't add the awaited performance increase compared with 2-core CPUs, but clearly a 4-core system (2 proc x 2 cores) is more performant than a 2-core system (1 proc x 2 cores)

for sampling only 2 x 2,66 GHz XEON should be already sufficient, even with 16 or more GB RAM - how much the harddisks will turn up as bottleneck with 40 or more instances has still to be found out (chipset, drivers, configuration, harddisk model, raid modus adds to the overall performance).

SAS and SCSI (up to 15.000 rpm) is really expensive, flash not yet available with the needed capacity, so sATA II looks like the preferred choice, again raptors are more expensive than 7.200 rpm drives but add significant performance (eg. average seektime is 4,5 ms whereas normally it is about 8.5)

christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • For what it's worth, I cannot play Chrstian Kardeis' Special Edition demo on my G5 Dual 2.7 (8GB ram) without overloading the processors at the piece's most heavily orchestrated points.  Frustrating.

I am about to build a multi-cpu system to hopefully run a nice big template with lots of flexibility, but I have my doubts, as I never seem to get the jump in performance that I expect when upgrading.   Maybe the jump to MacPros with Penryn processors (or comparable PCs) will be different.  Well see what happens this month

• aplanchard, this really should be irritating - the demo runs definately on much less powerful computers without problems (AFAIR actually on a 1,8 GHz iMac), i'd recommend to check your machine and/or setup ...

christian

• Since we’re all having a bit of fun talking about the new setups we’re getting I thought I’d throw my idea into the mix.  I currently have a G5 dual 2Gig. (Please note Plowman’s comments on older G5’s). I intend to use this as a dedicated reverb machine. It’ll be using a software host with multiple instances of Altiverb & Wizzoverb. There will be a Presonus Lightpipe 32-channel ADAT interface to connect with a similar audio interface on a Mac Pro 8-core with 16GB RAM. 24 channels of audio will be used to return reverb to the Mac Pro. 8 more channels (one ADAT connector) will be used to collect the 8 digital outputs from a Focusrite 428 mic pre with an A/D card.  That Mac Pro (I’ll call it Mac Pro1) will have Logic 8, a dual UltraSCSI card attached to both a RAID0 array and another individual SCSI drive – all 10K RPM – to hold String & Brass samples.  This computer will be used for sequencing and playing back of multiple standalone VE’s and standalone Kontakt instances. The standalone sample playback instances will loopback to Logic through a RME MADI interface (64 channels).  Additionally, Mac Pro1 will have an expansion chassis to hold extra PCI cards – MADI interface(s), extra FW card for the Presonus Lightpipe interface, SCSI card and TC Powercore X8 for TC reverbs & Sonnox Oxford plugins.  There will be a second RME MADI interface on Mac Pro1 that will connect with a third MADI interface on Mac Pro2. Mac Pro2 will be a 4-core with 16GB of RAM that will host standalone VE’s and instances of Kontakt for playback of woodwinds and percussion samples. Not sure which drives to use for this yet. Thinking SAS.  I’ll be using a Lucid GenX for wordclock and MIDIoverLAN for communication between the Mac Pro’s.   So: Mac Pro1 will have 64 channels of internally loopedback sample playback and 64 channels of external sample playback from Mac Pro2. All reverb and other fancy processing will be done either on the G5 or the Powercore X8 card.    UN-reality check: Waiting for new Mac Pro’s (C’mon MacWorld!), Sonnox promises that their plugs will work on Intel shortly, TC is supposed to deliver the X8 pronto. Presonus should deliver the Lightpipe any day now. Note: The Presonus is necessary because the M-Audio Lightbridge is not supported as an aggregate device. I will need to aggregate the audio interfaces on Mac Pro1 since there will be three of them.  None of the M-Audio Pro Tools-ready or Digidesign interfaces support aggregation to the best of my knowledge.

• this sounds like we have more than a bit of fun ;-) ...

SCSI host adapter in a breakout box - i wouldn't do that, because those breakout boxes have limited throughput (usually 1 PCIe 1x spreads to 5 PCI slots), i'd rather consider to use a *real* PCIe or PCI-X SCSI host adapter to stick it directly in the macPro. i have also seen a IOI adapter with SCSI + FW800 on a single expansion card.

additionally: any new penryn motherboard should be able to access SAS disks (which is the TLA for Serial Attached SCSI) which would be the more modern and performant (and internal) solution to hold sample data (and finally less expensive than a SCSI host adapter + SCSI disks + enclosures + a lot of cables)

christian

• Hi aplanchard,

Yes, I also had to freeze some percussion tracks while creating this piece. I did this on my G5 Dual 2,5 (6 GB Ram) and without the frozen tracks also my machine cannot playback this piece.

The irritating thing is that an Intel iMac or an Intel macmini with 2 GB Ram plays back the demo without all the hiccups and overload messages known from the G5 :-(

best

christian 

• Hi Christian, 

Thanks for the info.  Perhaps it is not unreasonable to expect a big performance boost when I upgrade my setup.  Fingers crossed.

• CM, Thanks for the comments about my proposed new rig. Yes, I know that there will be some ‘adventure’ in getting this setup working. I do plan to get one Mac Pro first to figure out the issues then get the 2nd Mac Pro once the first is stable.   

The reason for the SCSI is that I already own them. All my VSL samples are on a RAID with 300GB 10K SCSI drives with my current G5 setup.  Putting the SCSI adapter card in one of the PCI slots of the Mac Pro (and not the expansion chassis) is a good idea. It will be dependent upon how happy the RME MADI interfaces for Mac Pro1 are in an expansion chassis. I should look into the possibility of repurposing these drives using SAS. Perhaps you might know this.

I look forward to hearing any other thoughts about the workability of this setup before I begin purchasing the components.  

• did you mean repurpose the SCSI disks using SAS? not possible ... SCSI = 68pin parallel, SAS is the same (serial) connector as sATA, so you had to keep them in an external enclosure connected to a host adapter.

christian

• Yes, having never seen a SAS card before, I now realize that that wouldn't work.

The new Mac Pro came out today & does have SAS - but at a pretty hefty Apple-type price. I might put SAS on one machine and leave the SCSI on another just because of cost.

The other issue is that I'm waiting for the PCIe expansion chassis to become a viable product. However I could just start with the single Mac Pro for the time being.

CM, do you see any VSL issue with how I'm vizualizing the loopedback playback on the Mac Pros?

• yes, SAS disks are in a similar price range than formerly SCSI - they are typically used in high performance servers.

btw: the RME MADI is also available as PCI express ... and maybe you should ask someone who tried this setup, but possibly the internal routing (VE out - MADI - logic in) can be actually done in the internal RME mixer, so leaving the 64 channels (external in) free for routing audio from macPro-2 to macPro-1

look at the specs ... Three open full-length PCI Express expansion slots One PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot Two PCI Express x4 slots

looks like you could even insert 1 SCSI hostadapter + 2 x PCIe MADI (in case the brackets/wordclock modules allow)

christian

•  Well, if this turns out to be the "who-builds-the-most-expensive-system" thread ... I enjoy[H]

Since I look into building a server now, I stumbled over this:

http://www.da-x.de/PC-Audiosysteme/8-Kern-Systeme:::844_949.html

Anybody bought one of those and wants to say something about them?

One question I asked (I know - I asked to many) is still not answered for me:

I really would like to go for an apogee sympony! But right now all I need is the Analog I/Os of Rosetta - wich leaves me with only one ADAT I/O. Is there any way to add more digital I/Os to a symphony card? If not - would it be practical to add a RME card to the G5 (in additon to symphony)?

Or would you rather go for a RME madi system then? How is latency and sound with the ADI converters compared to apogee symphony? 

• CM,

My understanding from the US RME rep is that it is necessary to use the hardware i/o for the loopbacks. In other words, you can not use 64 channels for software loopback and 64 channels for audio i/o simultaneously. Each software loopback track eats up a hardware track.

Also, I haven't yet been able to find via Google any 15K 300GB SAS drives on the web. Although Apple is already offering them at $800 each. Apple's SAS RAID card is $800 also and is required if you are using the SAS drives. So that would be $3200 for a 900GB RAID. A little steep I think - especially considering the cost of the Mac Pro, monitors, 16-32GB of RAM, etc. Using an UltraSCSI, three 10K drives and an enclosure would be about half that price.

For my setup, I'll need more than the two PCIe 1.0 and one remaining PCIe 2.0 slot. So an expansion chassis is unavoidable. Unless I stick with only one Mac Pro. Then I would have only one MADI card, one SCSI card and an extra FW card for the audio interface to the G5 reverb machine.

•  A Seagate ST3300655SS CHEETAH 15k 300GB SAS drive is available from Penguin Express for $477.50. See:

http://www.penguinsexpress.com/product.asp?pf_id=ST3300655SS&gkw=ST3300655SS&gad=CMmggM8DEggtbKcHVS-B1xiX_r3-AyCt79BM

A similar drive (Seagate ST3300555SS) is available at DiscountTech for $395.00. See:

http://discountechnology.com/Products/SAS-Serial-Attached-SCSI 

I've never dealt with Penguin Express or DiscountTech, so I can't vouch for either company's reliability, but their prices are the lowest I've seen so far for this drive.  

IMHO, forget the G5, not nearly enough processing power (I have a dual 2.5GHz G5 that I plan to replace with one of the new 8 processor machines - -  when 3rd party RAM becomes available at a reasonable price - - precisely because my G5 lacks sufficient processing power to use the 7GB of RAM it has.) Will make a good slave machine, no doubt.....

I will try a much less expensive SATA RAID 0 array - - with journaling turned off - - before springing for SAS (2 X 500GB SATA = $260 - $300 depending on the drives).  Also, according to Apple', the SAS option precludes using Windows on the machine. You can get 8 port cards for external SAS from ATTO. One card (for $395) is limited to RAID 0, the other (for $1095) allows many varieties of RAID (e.g. 0.1.5. etc.) An external configuration for samples would appear to allow you to use Windows on the machine as well as OSX.

See:

http://www.attotech.com/sashostadaptertechnology.html 

• stevesong,

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out.

• Hmm, checked out those drives in that Discount Tech link. Interesting stuff... The drive for $395/ea., the Seagate ST3300555SS is 15K but the fine print sez 'limited to to 10K performance'. The Seagate ST3300655SS is called a 15K.5 drive and its fine print doesn't indicated any 10K-type performance issue. It's $505/ea.

So it's about $100 more per drive but sounds like a safer bet if I'm paying all this money for the best performance.

Wish I knew more about these things before I spring for some.

Edit:

Here's more... The Penguin drive is the 15K.5 - for $477.55

•  Jack:

You might want to wait a little before springing for an SAS system. Remember that a two drive 1 Terabyte SATA RAID 0 that will cost you $250-300 is about twice as fast as a single drive, a three drive RAID 0, 3 times as fast, etc. RAID 0 seems ok for sample streaming since you don't need to worry about data loss - - if a drive fails the data on the whole RAID 0 array is lost, but since this data is on the DVDs you simply reinstall it. Even better if, as I did, you made disk images of the DVDs on a hard drive and installed them from there. Once you've done this, installation or reinstallation is much faster than from the DVDs.  

Good news on the RAM front. Other World Computing is offering 800MHz ECC RAM for the new machines at prices only slightly higher than charged for the 667MHz RAM used by the previous generation of machines.

Prive Comparison:

16 GB (8 X 2GB):

Apple: $3500    Other World Computing $699 

16 GB (4 X 4 GB):

Apple: $4300    Other World Computing $1399

32 GB  (8 X 4 GB):

Apple: $9100    Other World Computing: $2750

the link for Other World Computing is:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

Other reputable 3rd party suppliers are likely to offer competitive pricing. (I checked TransIntl but the pricing listen on the site appears incorrect at the moment since everything from 4GB to 32 GB is shown as having the same price - - check later in the day.) The link for TransIntl is

http://www.transintl.com/store/category.cfm?Category=2725&RequestTimeOut=500

I hope this is useful. 

• Hi Stevesong,

Thanks for the links and the reminder about the RAM speed. Good stuff.

The main goal is rotational speed in order to access all those samples. HIgher throughput is good but secondary. I am quite happy with the new speed standards on buss, RAM and PCI cards. Each of those things should help incrementally to allow all of us to use more computer resources for sample playback.

In my particular case, If I want to access the 64 channel internal loopback within Mac Pro1 and 64 channels external replay from Mac Pro2 I will want all the resources I can muster to let Mac Pro1 (the host for Logic) go as far as it can before it begins to choke.

Looking forward to more good links from you. Thanks a ton.

• Check out barefeats.com. They test Macs, drives in various configurations and post results. Currently they are waiting for the new MacPros to arrive. Also there are many tests done and published by A.M.U.G. (Arizona Mac Users Group). I'd wait a little to see if there are some tests of the SAS drives in the new Mac Pro's before spending the money on this extremely expensive configuration. Also, if you decide to go the SAS route, you might want consider the less expensive ATTO cards which are RAID 0 only - - as RAID 0 is what would be fastest for streaming samples. I'd give the folks at ATTO a call regarding this - - and also ask them where one might obtain external SAS enclosures (so far I have not been able to find a supplier for these.)