Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,465 users have contributed to 42,228 threads and 254,805 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• Yes - I've had the same behavior: I can load up a number of channels on-by-one and they seem to work sometimes but then won't work at all when I re-load the saved project.

I now recall that I went down a similar path many weeks ago when I first started debugging this problem.  But I got sidetracked into trying to match VSL's hardware setup... I guess it's time to revisit it.

I'm willing to bet all your MIDI channels will work so long as your total sample usage stays below 3 GB.  That's my experience.  I can get all MIDI ports/channels to work as long as I stay under the 3 GB limit.

So maybe it's a combination of the 3 GB limit and the total number of channels being used.

But it doesn't seem possible - I've seen posts from people using 7+ GB of samples.  Surely they must be using more than 13 MIDI channels, right?

I'll do some more testing today and see what I can come up with.

rgames

• I'll try loading under 3 gigs in 14 or more channels tonight.

Mahlon

• Perhaps if someone else who has a xp64 system with 8 GB ram could also test this.

Try loading more than 3 GB of samples into 13 midi channels in VE. Then save the file as a project and re-open it. See if Midi is being received. It should be. Then load one more matrix into channel 14 to make 14 midi channels and save this as a new project file. Re-load this file and see if the midi is being received.

Thanks if anyone has time to do this. That way I would know whether or not to start looking at my Wavecenter PCI card's midi as a culprit. (but since rgames is using different midi in devices and getting somewhat similar problems, I don't think right now that it's the midi/audio card).

Mahlon

• Yeah - I seriously doubt it's the hardware.  I've actually tried three different soundcards: HDSP 9632, HDSP 9652, and E-Mu 1212m.  All have behaved the same.  And MIDI Over LAN behaves the same, as well.  It must be a problem with the VE.

rgames

• rgames, I'm testing more now, but so far I've been able to load almost 5 gigs and things seem to be working. I've got 15 midi channels this time, so 14 channels isn't the magic number. Midi is still responding. I'm loading some different (and duplicate of each other) matrices than before. Will keep going......loading a little more now.

Mahlon

• Midi stopped responding when I got to just about 6.3, or so, gigs. I'm going to give up for now, and try loading the samples in two instances of VE. I can't keep waiting for the VE to load these tests, taking 8 or 9 minute each time.

Mahlon

• Yes - once you get above 3 GB, it gets pretty random.  Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it sort-of works, but sometimes it doesn't work at all.  The only presets that work every time (for me) are those that stay below the 3 GB limit.

Today I tried going back and re-loading channels one-by-one.  I got all the way up to 5.3 GB and everything was working.  And it even worked after a reboot.  But after two reboots, it quit working and hasn't worked again since...

I'm certain VSL is hard at work debugging this problem.  I don't think there's any doubt that it has something to do with the VE.

rgames

• rgames,

Are you able to open two standalone instances of VE at the same time?

Mahlon

• I just loaded about 6.9 gigs into two matices -- so only 2 midi channels. Things worked fine when I saved as a project fileand reloaded. VE was receiving midi.

Mahlon

• Re: standalone instances - yes, I can run two standalone instances just fine except for the fact that one instance produces unusable audio.  My soundcard (HDSP 9632) is multi-client, so I can route the two VE instances to different outputs on the card.  However, the audio only works from one instance.  The second instance produces audio, but it's horribly broken up and not usable.

But I can get all of the MIDI channels to work that way...  so it's a choice: do you want audio or MIDI?

rgames

• Whenever I open a second instance of standalone VE, the computer crashes and reboots -- very consistently..... This happens on both slaves....arhhhggg.....

Mahlon

• Does your sound card support multi-client operation?  A hard reboot like that sounds like a hardware problem...

• I believe so. Is ASIO 2.0 multiclient?

Here's the card:

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/WaveCenterPCI/Specifications

rgames, what motherboard manutfacturer are you using?

Mahlon

• Right now I'm using an ASUS P5W-DH (which, IIRC, is what VSL is using on their test machine).  Previously I had an ASUS P5B-E.  Both behave the same...

VSL has been very quiet on this problem over the last couple of weeks - any help here, folks?

I tried two MOTU 4x4 MIDI interfaces yesterday and they behave the same, as well.  The hardware shows MIDI activity but the VE shows nothing or only one port sometimes. 

rgames

• Hi,

we are working on it. For now, one workaround seems to be to stop and start the VE engine (sometimes more than once) - at least that works in our testing environment.

Let us know if that improves your situation.

Best,

Paul 

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi,

we are working on it. For now, one workaround seems to be to stop and start the VE engine (sometimes more than once) - at least that works in our testing environment.

Let us know if that improves your situation.

Best,

Paul 

Paul,

Unfortunately, pressing the "stop engine/start engine" button does not fix the problem on my system. Still getting no midi input.

I'm sure you guys will find an answer, though.

• Stopping/Starting works for me every now and then but not very often.

Maybe it has something to do with how the stars are aligned - I'll start watching the astrological charts and see if there's any correlation...[:P]

rgames

• VIENNA... Where are we on this? My MIDI stops working as I load more than 3+ gig??....Does it work fine under Visrta64 bit? I'm completely in the dark here... thanx, SvK

• It's fixed, and the update will be available in the next days. Final testing was a little delayed because of NAMM show.

best

Herb

• HERB, thanx...does that mean in the next 24hours or 48 hours?...really?...thanx...SvK