Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,487 users have contributed to 42,232 threads and 254,814 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 50 new user(s).

• I always love articles that start out "I'm not a lawyer, but..." In other words, everything I say here could be a complete misunderstanding of the truth, but I'm going to publish it anyway.

I missed the original deleted post, so I can't comment on that. However specifically for arranging in the USA there are union minimums which basically say that arranging rates must be higher than orchestration. Orchestration minimum rates are clearly defined by collective bargaining agreements which list per page rates based on the number of lines and other terms of the contract. There are specific agreements for films, live TV, videogames, etc. The rates vary per agreement as a result of negotiations over amount of potential work, industry revenues, secondary payments, and the like.

To say we can't collectively discuss rates would mean we also can't have a union. The information is freely available on the web to anyone who visits the AFM site.

Composing has no set minimum rates as composers do not have a union or guild to collectively negotiate terms. As a result, fees vary widely. That is, they vary VERY WIDELY. Also be aware that things are different with composing because composers usually are not considered employees in the USA for most situations. If you want some rough numbers, the Flim Music Network occasionally publishes a rate survey for less than $20, if I recall. I think it's a downloadable pamphlet.

• This page contains links to the New York standard union rates for most musical categories incuding orchestration.

http://www.local802afm.org/frames/fs_wage.htm 

Arranging fees are not set. The requirement is that the rates are higher than those for orchestration. You should also be aware that these are the union minimums and do not neccesarily reflect the actual rates charged by experienced pros.

Be Well,

Poppa