Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• 5. Alex North

• 5. Elmer Bernstein

• William, why do you rate 'Somewhere in Time' as Barry's best?  Having just listened to it again, I'd rate his '007', 'Out of Africa' and 'We have all the time in the world' as better.  This isn't a criticism, by the way; I'm interested to find out what you're listening for in his music.  Personally, I'm a texture and complexity fiend; I like it when the composer can include interesting countermelodies, cross-rhythms and other stuff going on under a good tune, but getting the balance right between surface and support is critical. I think that's what makes things like 'Magnificent Seven' work so well. 

I'm also a sucker for good use of strings, which is why I think every composer ought to be able to explain just what's going on in the opening 40 bars or so of Tchaikovsky's 'Serenade for Strings' -- it's an object lesson in compelling string writing.

Meanwhile, let me throw in 'Let the River Run' from 'Working Girl', which I think is just a fantastic tune; I said to my wife recently, while we listened to it in the car, that if I could write a song half as good, I'd be happy.

• last edited
    last edited

@bluejay said:

Wasn't Star Trek: First Contact's main theme written by Joel Goldsmith? I know Jerry is credited with the score but Joel's name is given on the soundtrack album for that particular track.

As far as I know, Joel took on the job of doing some of the Borg music, into which the main titles music segues. So, on my copy of the soundtrack album, track 1 is listed as "Main titles/Locutus", with a little dagger after 'Main titles', and an asterisk after 'Locutus'; the dagger means 'Includes theme from 'Star Trek' by Alexander Courage', and asterisk means 'composed by Joel Goldsmith'. I interpret this to mean only 'Locutus' was Joel's work, and this is consistent with the asterisking of the other Borg tracks on the album.

Ah, sorry about. I stand corrected.

It is a beautiful melody and I'm listening to it a lot at the moment. In fact I really love the lush production on this, the brass sounds fantastic. This is my current reference track for Altiverb settings.

In terms of melodies I would say that John Williams' Across The Stars is wonderful. Very simple idea but it really works so well. I heard the Royal Philharmonic play this in Leicester Square a couple of years back and it is a very moving piece.

PS. Hmm ... aren't the opening 6 notes of the First Contact melody exactly the same as The BlackAdder theme tune? Maybe only Brits would spot this?

• last edited
    last edited

@bluejay said:

PS. Hmm ... aren't the opening 6 notes of the First Contact melody exactly the same as The BlackAdder theme tune? Maybe only Brits would spot this?

They do seem similar, but the first six notes don't complete the phrase, and it's phrases that I consider to be distinctive in a piece of music, rather than chunks of notes. Plus, although I'm only relying on memory, I think Howard Goodall's harmonization of those opening notes is different from Jerry's as well, which tends to increase the distinction between the two pieces.

Still, Baldrick on the Enterprise, there's a thought: he'd probably be responsible for removing dilithium carbonate deposits from the warp coils with his few remaining teeth.

• last edited
    last edited

@mosso said:

5. Elmer Bernstein
    He probably scored more films than just about anyone. Right through from Cat Women on the Moon to The Grifters and My Left Foot and The Field. He did really well. The Mag7 is the greatest western filmscore ever created and continues to lift the film throughout - The Big Country is a great score and is good throughout the film also, but without that Mag7 impact. --------To Kill a Mockingbird has some very thoughtful scoring throughout the whole film and as a package is very, very good. You start to feel old when you realize that Scout is the same age as yourself. :))))

• The reason I thought Somewhere in Time was Barry's best was purely because of the melody.  In other words, the score doesn't have hardly anything else in it, but the melody is so good it can work as a complete score.  Other composers write all kinds of atmosphere, rhythms, orchestrations, textures, etc. but couldn't write a simple melody like that to save their souls.  I would be on cloud nine if I wrote something that good. To hell with all the other stuff. It is nothing but technique that anybody can learn.  It is trivia. But to create a pure, simple melody that is beautiful is a gift from God, heaven, or whatever you believe is superhuman.

• I should have mentioned North's Love Theme from Sparticus (which was what I was thinking of when I posted him as a great melodist.) Bill Evans recorded it which says a whole lot about the tune. I don't think many people realize Max Steiner wrote 'A Summer's Place' which is so catchy and was a huge hit on the radio in the U.S. One of those tunes everyone knows in that generation. My Generation I guess you could say...but that's another tune.

• The love theme from Spartacus Dave - is very similar to a piece that was done by J Bacal not that long ago - I forget which it was now, but could have been a Spanish composer from the 19th century.

• What piece?  He did those Mompou things.  Did somebody rip those off?  Probably...

• Boy would I like to have a drink with Paul and William. How can we make that happen guys?

• Maurice Jarre and Michel Legrand must be counted in the list of great film melodists.

• Yeah, I agree with that.  Jarre seemed to use melody more as a major element in his scores than most.  Also Michel Legrand. 

Speaking of him, his score to Three Musketeers was great.  That film by Richard Lester is very underrated today.  It is by far the best version.  Incredibly beautiful cinematography and lighting, and though very funny and emphasizing comic aspects of the story, was quite adventurous as well.  Also, the uber-obnoxious Oliver Reed does a fantastic performance in that.  The score done later by Lalo Schifrin for Four Musketeers was about as good, though very different style. It is interesting to hear those back-to-back.

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on