Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,730 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,896 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• DG

I was wondering if you'd be willing (and anyone else as well) to share the settings that you use?  I've been using mine now for about a month now and I find that I have an easier time using the controller with the brass and wind sections than I do with the strings (which I guess makes sense).  I would really like to use it with the strings, but I just haven't been able to get the smoothness that I'm looking for.  I was just curious to hear how everyone uses their's and what settings they use (ie. what do you assign it to; Velocity X-fade, Expression, both)?

--Lee

• last edited
    last edited

@pianoomann88_29968 said:

DG

I was wondering if you'd be willing (and anyone else as well) to share the settings that you use?  I've been using mine now for about a month now and I find that I have an easier time using the controller with the brass and wind sections than I do with the strings (which I guess makes sense).  I would really like to use it with the strings, but I just haven't been able to get the smoothness that I'm looking for.  I was just curious to hear how everyone uses their's and what settings they use (ie. what do you assign it to; Velocity X-fade, Expression, both)?

--Lee

I don't think that anything I share would help very much, as my system is probably not like anyone else's on the planet.....! Broadly speaking I assign Expression and Filter to the BC, but getting the curve right is the trick, and that is dependant on the setting with your BC, which I don't have access to.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

DG

--Lee

I use it only on Velocity X-fade.

I use the BC3a together with the MIDI Solutions Breath Controller interface. I use the steps in the manual of this interface (http://www.midisolutions.com/bth.pdf)  to configure my BC3a.

It says:
    The following procedure will help you obtain the optimalsettings for the Gain and Offset controls of the Yamaha BC3: Start by setting the Gain to approximately the halfway point. Then increase the Offset from zero until the Breath Controller just startsto transmit MIDI data (the LED will flicker). At this point decrease the Offset slightly. Then apply breath pressure to the BC3 to test these settings. Repeat the above procedure of adjusting the Offset with  different Gain settings until you have determined the optimal Gain and Offset positions.

Good luck!

• Thanks for your responses.  I guess what I really looking for is what sliders you assign the controller to and what kind of results you achieve with those settings and not so much of the actual settings/calibration of the BC3a itsself.  I find it interesting that you Daniel001 assign it to just the X-Fade, while DG assigns it to both X-Fade and Filter.  That at least gives me some settings to try and play around with.  Thanks again.  If anyone else has any setups they'd like to share, let me know.

--Lee

• last edited
    last edited

I find it interesting that you Daniel001 assign it to just the X-Fade, while DG assigns it to both X-Fade and Filter.  That at least gives me some settings to try and play around with.  Thanks again.  If anyone else has any setups they'd like to share, let me know.

--Lee

No, I don't assign it to xFade at all. Using xFade just introduces phasing, which I don't like.

DG

• Sorry about that DG [:)]  I meant to write Expression, but had X-Fade on the brain.

--Lee

• DG I'm doing the same thing as you with different curves on filter and expression assigned same cc.

except without the breath controller.  I wish for some numbers showing values in these curve settings

dadunn

• DG is right - the controller is a little cheap in construction - you really have to tweak the the little 'button' on the headset to get the sensitivity right.

I use the BC ONLY on WW and Brass sections (phasing is a problem for solos) - I'll try the expression and filter for solos though - sounds like it could work well (been doing that to date with foot controllers to some success but this could be better.   Thanks DG - good idea for the solo WW's / brass.

I imagine you open up the filter as the expression increases (so is the filter sitting at 90% or so 'at rest' - once the BC is used it ranges 90-100%??

Thanks in advance.

Rob