Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,804 users have contributed to 42,261 threads and 254,929 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 25 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Frankie Ho said:

Thanks Christian! Just one more thing, not sure if that's answered before coz I wasn't following the VI thing too closely. [:O]ops: Let's say if you load 2 instances of violins on the same computer, do the same articulation load twice into RAM or only once? Or is there actually an alternate way to work with 1st and 2nd viollins with the new VI interface?

Man I can feel your excitement too! [[;)]]

Cheers,
    Frankie

Apparently it's the same as GS; the same sample only loads in RAM once.

DG

• Thanks Daryl, that's great to know!

Cheers,
    Frankie

• Hi Frankie

I have now mad a test, loading 4 instances (Violins, Celli, Viola and basses.)

Its a 2gb machine, starting with a little over 1500mb free when I started loading instances. After the four had been loaded, 800MB remained.

Each instance had the following articulations loaded:

Short staccato
    Staccato
    Short Detache
    Long Detache
    Sustain
    Legato normal
    Legato Portamento

Bare in mind also that the legatos have both p and f layers loaded, and that each of the other articulations have 2 versions of each note loaded. Personaly I find it pretty impressive

Now I will test how much of the remaining 800mb I can fill up.

• Christian, is it hard to figure out how to set up a "patch"?

I want some lead violins that can go from Legato, to sustained, to pizz, to a choice of decresendos. Do they include tutorials on how to set up all this? I'm sure after a few days of having it this will seem like a silly question but right now it's going to be priority one for me and I'm just wondering how brain damaging it is to do...

Thanks
    Tom

• Its a bit of trial and error. But learning the basic principle of it is easy. Whats hard is finding out exactly how to set it up as you want it, and in a way so switching from one patch to the other is natural. But its dooable sure. The example you mention is just a matter of loading each patch into a cell in the horizontal matrix, and just telling it that you want to switch patch using keyswitches.

What hard is setting up the advanced stuff. But there is no braindamage involved as its plenty of fun if you have the time to do it [:)]

• [TEST UPDATE]

I just loaded 4 new instances, but only used three.

I loaded Oboe, Flute and ClarinetB

Each wind had loaded

Staccato
    Short Portato
    Medium Portarto
    Long Portato
    Sustain
    Legato Normal

I had about 137MB left

There was appearently no problem with playback, but I dident test it thoroughly. Bare in mind also that this test was done on a slave machine. On my main Daw I only have a little over 1GB left for samples after cubase is loaded. However that would still be enough to load all the solo strings with the articulations I mentioned.

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Bare in mind also that the legatos have both p and f layers loaded, and that each of the other articulations have 2 versions of each note loaded. Personaly I find it pretty impressive

That's really impressive! Thanks so much for checking it out.

Actually what I was thinking is, since I am goning to buy a new machine (have 2 at the moment) so I can spread my orchestral work to 3 computers for each dedicated section (strings, brass and wind with percussion staggering around hehe). Instead of needing to go through the god-knows-what-will-happen-when-you-install-GS3 route, I might as well have the new host running with VSTi only. Was thinking strings coz it seems it would need the fewest instances to load up among the 3 families.

Thanks again! [[;)]]
    Frankie

• Thanks Christian for the infor. Very impressive. With 4 slaves and Host It sounds like 'freezing' will not be necessary in all but the biggest projects/arrangements.

Still have to sort out how to deal not having GP (during writing stage). What are you going to do on this?

I still have to pick up VStack - was that a clean install and setup?

Thanks for all the 'advance look' for us poor saps that can only dream about it (still waiting for Illio to ship).

Rob

• Setting up V-stack is no prob. As long as you have MOL installed, V-stack fits right in.

Still dont have a verb solution yet.

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

Setting up V-stack is no prob. As long as you have MOL installed, V-stack fits right in.

Still dont have a verb solution yet.

Sorry Chrisitan, what is "MOL"? I'm going to have to get VStack for my PC, and as a Mac guy (I use Mac for sequencing and Pro Tools) I'm a little slow on the PC side of things...[;)]

Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

Sorry Chrisitan, what is "MOL"? Tom

MIDI over LAN

DG

• www.musiclab.com

They have a program called Mide OverLan (MOL) which allows you to send midi signals over your network to any computers you may have.

• Daft question...is Midi Over Lan available for Mac users or is it just for Windows?

So many things to learn... [[;)]]

• Looks cool, but I don't see it's advantage for a simple two computer setup like I have. I record on the Mac, and take a MIDI out to the PC. Done...[;)]

TH

• It is cross-platform, so that your DAW can be a Mac or a PC and your slaves can also be either. Where it can be useful is that you don't need to connect a MIDI device to use a Giga (for example) PC with a Mac sequencer, and the MIDI timing is tighter than any hardware device.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@jamriding said:

Daft question...is Midi Over Lan available for Mac users or is it just for Windows?

I beleive the new version called MolCP supports mac. I think the CP stands for Cross Platform.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It is cross-platform, so that your DAW can be a Mac or a PC and your slaves can also be either. Where it can be useful is that you don't need to connect a MIDI device to use a Giga (for example) PC with a Mac sequencer, and the MIDI timing is tighter than any hardware device.

DG

Yes, I have timing problems a lot with Giga, especially if I dare do any drums.

I'm embarassed to say I'm really dumb about this, I read the manual on this but....I need some kind of network cable going from somewhere out of the PC to the Mac...right? [;)]

Gee this is silly I know but I have not messed with networks. My Mac is connected to DSL and that's about as far as I've gone...

Thanks for any help in setup.

Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@jamriding said:

Daft question...is Midi Over Lan available for Mac users or is it just for Windows?

I beleive the new version called MolCP supports mac. I think the CP stands for Cross Platform.
    See, your posting fingers are getting slow; I beat you to it again [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It is cross-platform, so that your DAW can be a Mac or a PC and your slaves can also be either. Where it can be useful is that you don't need to connect a MIDI device to use a Giga (for example) PC with a Mac sequencer, and the MIDI timing is tighter than any hardware device.

DG

Yes, I have timing problems a lot with Giga, especially if I dare do any drums.

I'm embarassed to say I'm really dumb about this, I read the manual on this but....I need some kind of network cable going from somewhere out of the PC to the Mac...right? [;)]

Gee this is silly I know but I have not messed with networks. My Mac is connected to DSL and that's about as far as I've gone...

Thanks for any help in setup.

Tom

You're not on your own Tom, but this one i know just enough about to maybe help.

You'll need a free network card in each machine, and a normal network cable.
    Once MOL (Midi over a Local area Network, which is what you'll create when you cable one comp to another) is installed, follow the instructions.

I'm sure others will chime in if this is wrong.

Regards, and good luck,

Alex.

• Just in case anyone's interested MIDI over Lan is built into OS X. Have a look at the Utility "Audio MIDI Setup" and double click on the network Icon. I think this is only 10.4 and above.

Regards

Dave Hage