Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,405 users have contributed to 42,297 threads and 255,068 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@tom@aerovons.com said:

Sorry Chrisitan, what is "MOL"? Tom

MIDI over LAN

DG

• www.musiclab.com

They have a program called Mide OverLan (MOL) which allows you to send midi signals over your network to any computers you may have.

• Daft question...is Midi Over Lan available for Mac users or is it just for Windows?

So many things to learn... [[;)]]

• Looks cool, but I don't see it's advantage for a simple two computer setup like I have. I record on the Mac, and take a MIDI out to the PC. Done...[;)]

TH

• It is cross-platform, so that your DAW can be a Mac or a PC and your slaves can also be either. Where it can be useful is that you don't need to connect a MIDI device to use a Giga (for example) PC with a Mac sequencer, and the MIDI timing is tighter than any hardware device.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@jamriding said:

Daft question...is Midi Over Lan available for Mac users or is it just for Windows?

I beleive the new version called MolCP supports mac. I think the CP stands for Cross Platform.

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It is cross-platform, so that your DAW can be a Mac or a PC and your slaves can also be either. Where it can be useful is that you don't need to connect a MIDI device to use a Giga (for example) PC with a Mac sequencer, and the MIDI timing is tighter than any hardware device.

DG

Yes, I have timing problems a lot with Giga, especially if I dare do any drums.

I'm embarassed to say I'm really dumb about this, I read the manual on this but....I need some kind of network cable going from somewhere out of the PC to the Mac...right? [;)]

Gee this is silly I know but I have not messed with networks. My Mac is connected to DSL and that's about as far as I've gone...

Thanks for any help in setup.

Tom

• last edited
    last edited

@jamriding said:

Daft question...is Midi Over Lan available for Mac users or is it just for Windows?

I beleive the new version called MolCP supports mac. I think the CP stands for Cross Platform.
    See, your posting fingers are getting slow; I beat you to it again [:D]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

It is cross-platform, so that your DAW can be a Mac or a PC and your slaves can also be either. Where it can be useful is that you don't need to connect a MIDI device to use a Giga (for example) PC with a Mac sequencer, and the MIDI timing is tighter than any hardware device.

DG

Yes, I have timing problems a lot with Giga, especially if I dare do any drums.

I'm embarassed to say I'm really dumb about this, I read the manual on this but....I need some kind of network cable going from somewhere out of the PC to the Mac...right? [;)]

Gee this is silly I know but I have not messed with networks. My Mac is connected to DSL and that's about as far as I've gone...

Thanks for any help in setup.

Tom

You're not on your own Tom, but this one i know just enough about to maybe help.

You'll need a free network card in each machine, and a normal network cable.
    Once MOL (Midi over a Local area Network, which is what you'll create when you cable one comp to another) is installed, follow the instructions.

I'm sure others will chime in if this is wrong.

Regards, and good luck,

Alex.

• Just in case anyone's interested MIDI over Lan is built into OS X. Have a look at the Utility "Audio MIDI Setup" and double click on the network Icon. I think this is only 10.4 and above.

Regards

Dave Hage

• As a matter of interest, can I route MOL through a router to a second PC?

Andy O'Callaghan

• My setup is through a router which then enters a hub (since I only have 4 exists from my router and need 6). So yes - no problem in using a router if I understand you correctly. If you can set your computers up in a network, then you can use MOL.

• as a proof of concept i routed MoL even through the internet to a machine controlled by remote desktop - very funny [;)]
    you just have to make sure the respective port (usually 11 000 UDP) is not blocked on the router (and of course also not by a local firewall)
    christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.