Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,714 users have contributed to 42,254 threads and 254,893 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 5 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Poppa,
    You rock. I'll lok at the thread later. However, I get the sense that even though you need one instance per instrument, you don't need as many MIDI tracks per instrument as you did in VSL. In fact, that was the question I was going to ask you privately. How many tracks do you dedicate, say, for violins to make sure you get all the articulations you want? I ge4t the sense that by setting up matracies corectly, you can set up enough articulations in one instance to coer your violins in VI. It makes it much easier than it would be in VSL, I guess.
    Let me know.
    Kevin

• Kevin:

I think you have it exactly right. The options in the VI matrix appear to be such that, with a little practice, you can learn to set up the matrices optimally for whatever you have written. Unless the piece is very, very compex, it appears that you will be able to easily set it up with all the articulations you would need for any given instrument. Of course, you would need a separate instance for 1st and 2nd violins or whatever, but it appears that it will still be much easier than VSL and GS3. Since we've recently learned that we can use our notation programs to send the keyswitch commands, that problem also seems workable. Add the RAM saving feature and it looks like you've got the ability to make a lot of music much more easily than before.

Be well,

Poppa

• I was going to ask one more question. With respect to sending keyswitches and hiding them, would you want to send the keyswitch notes in another voice, which would alter stem direction, or would you want to put them in a staff assigned to the same port and channel which you would remove when you printed the score? Can you hide individual notes? Even if you can, what a hassle that would be.
    Kevin

• last edited
    last edited

@kevjazz said:

I was going to ask one more question. With respect to sending keyswitches and hiding them, would you want to send the keyswitch notes in another voice, which would alter stem direction, or would you want to put them in a staff assigned to the same port and channel which you would remove when you printed the score? Can you hide individual notes? Even if you can, what a hassle that would be.
    Kevin

Once you have your score for publishing purposes you should save a copy as the playback score then you can annotate the playback score with midi commands and keyswitch notes to your hearts content - and of course add in additiona staves if that's still going to be necessary with the new VIs which it hopefully won't.

With regards to keyswitches I have done this by adding the relevant note as a grace note which you can hide or not as you wish.

• Hey everyone.

and hi David Carter, my sibeliusmusic.com fellow fiend (err, friend). I'm finally get back into more composition, after a year or so break from having to find a new job, and being swallowed up by a MMRPG (online game) !!

I've recently upgraded to Sibelius 4, to GigaStudio G3 Orchestra, and have also built a new desktop box from scratch, with a state of the art motherboard, using RAID and SATA drives, etc etc... and capable of more memory, etc. etc. (the video card is nice too for that game... [:)]

Everything is working well on the new machine, minus being able to record live input (strange... still working on it. Some Delta 1010 configuration may be off still.)

I'm in process now of making new Giga performance files, and mirrored Sibelius Sound Sets to work with those Giga performances.

That whole methodology works well, but you will learn to hate the Sibelius UI for Edit Sound Sets and the Dictionary!! It's klunky as hell. I just wish too, that I could assign "Staccato" as an Effect and assign a separate sample for each instrument using just that word, and not a custom word for each instrument like "flute stacc" in the Dictionary. You can use "Legato" nicely as a known effect, and assign the instrument Legato sound samples from the First Edition Peformance library pretty easily. Yes it needs its own staff (track) to work, especially assigning the octave offset with the Peformance tool...

I digress, but you get the idea of why using VI looks like it would simplify a couple of these things.

The new offerings in the VI video demonstrations I've seen are quite impressive, but I'm at a loss to understand with which samples VI would work and require. I don't want to shell out more dough, when I'm happy with my base samples.

Ideally, I would use Sibelius as my sequencer, and VI with the First Edition if possible, thus eliminating GigaStudio and the Performance Tool. (However, I think I'll also need something like Sonar for mixing.)

I haven't gotten into multi-track recording *yet*, but am finding if I want to use the First Edition Performance samples, I'll need to be crafty with regard to memory management in GigaStudio... and thus multi-track record... not play back the whole score at once, etc.

Summary:
    Will VI support First Edition?

• Hello Hunter,

saw you pop your head up on SibMus.

any pre VI sample package is redundant with the new VIs. When you buy the VI you get an entirely new 24bit sample base especially programmed for the new VI. Your 1st Edition wil not be used by the VI.

The VI comes in two versions, everyone pays the same full price for the initial package which will include some of your existing samples (but now 24 bit and VI compatible) and some entirely new samples and of course the VI itself. It's only if you then move up to the second level that you will get your VIP discount but you end up with nearly twice as many samples, all 24bit and re-edited for the VI. You have to check the discount calculator to see what your discount will be from the first edition to the full VI.

During the recent sale I got the complete pro-ed and shall get the first solo strings VI (the full version). I am hoping the VI, whilst still designed for a keyboard controller, will work a lot better with Sibelius as the sequencer and avoiding GigaStudio has to be very attractive.

What I'm not clear about is how to have several instances of the VI (say four for a string quartet) running at the same time with Sibelius. I'm hoping that the RAM management feature will mean that it will be possible to run several instances simultaneously with Sibelius on my single machine specs.

There's a reasonably large crowd of Sibelius VSL users here and I hope we all stick together and share our experiences and tips during this exciting time. I know I shall need plenty of help.

Best wishes.

PS having been to your website I have to tell you I got 138 on the tickle IQ test [[;)]] - not that it's a competition of course [:)]

• It seems to me that VI could make things a lot easier for Sibelius users. Firstly it should be possible to do away with multiple tracks per instrument. Then I would imagine that via a virtual MIDI cable (like Maple) the MIDI from Sibelius would be routed to a VST Host (like V-Stack) in which the various VI would reside. This should make it all possible to do on one computer fairly simply, providing that you have sufficient CPU and RAM.

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

Hello Hunter,

PS having been to your website I have to tell you I got 138 on the tickle IQ test [[;)]] - not that it's a competition of course [:)]

curses! ... I should remove that stat on my site/resume. Perhaps it's not a good measure of my potential worth/success [:)]

I knew that the VI came with designated samples, and that they were most likely 24 bit.. and optimized for the VI... but somehow I didn't let that not influence my desires... and therefore asking about it in terms of the First Edition. I should have realized simply too, that the First Edition samples are all .gig files anyhow... so it wouldn't make sense.

But yeah... in the end, I'm very much interested in the Sibelius/VSL users alliance.. and will check back and contribute as much as I can. I am glad there are more of us. I fell in love with making music via MIDI because of Sibelius. (Or just composing in general as Sibelius in terms of music as notation, makes sense to me -- not the other "track" based sequencers.)

I'm looking forward to more of your projects David. I'll have to look at your sibeliusmusic page to see what the latest goods are (I'm a bit behind in my spying and comparison browsings -- for ego and envy reasons, of course! )

-Hunter

• last edited
    last edited

@kevjazz said:

Poppa, Martin, Everybody,
    First, about a week ago, i saw a thread called Sibelius in this forum where a guy in Seattle said that he would develop a plugin that would make Sibelius recognize and play back artiulations, trills and so on. Here's his comment
    There is a plugin for the samples that come with kontakt 2 (click the link in my sig). When I get some of the other sample sets from VSL I will likely create one for those as well. But no promises at this point. Waiting to see what the new announcements are before buying anything. If someone wants to donate sample sets to me, then I could get motivated to do this sooner . (kontakt only)

Thanks,
    Kevin

I'm that guy in Seattle. I have completed the development of a Sibelius plugin for Opus1. It is currently in Beta test. I hope to release it in early February. I'm on the road until the 23rd. I am going to be at NAMM. If anyone else is there, let me know. I'll be happy to discuss this with you.

• Please can I join the huddled cluster of Sibelius VSL users?

But seriously DG and the TubaKing are right. Some easy way of linking the best notation package and best libraries together (IMHO) would make life soooooo much easier. I've had the pro edition a year now and my composition output has been very low - mainly due to my extended grapples with giga and a compelling urge to keep remixing my old stuff with different samples, gigapulses etc.

Being able to simply fire up Sib and have it power VI with authentic sounds would be heaven!

p.s. Dave - have started work on a Euphonium concerto. Would be good if these nice people at VSL made us up some quality samples eh? [:D]

• last edited
    last edited

@Jonathan Mitchell said:

...p.s. Dave - have started work on a Euphonium concerto. Would be good if these nice people at VSL made us up some quality samples eh? [:D]

good stuff - is that with Brass Band or Orchestra - or 16 part Tuba/Euph ensemble?

Do you have a perfomer lined up?

• Dave - Medium sized Orchestra (2-2-2-2, 3-2-2, timp, perc, strings, pizz DB). As for the performer, I wait with eager anticipation for the euphonium samples (he said, not missing an opportunity to lobby).