Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,796 users have contributed to 42,370 threads and 255,386 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 18 new post(s) and 55 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

And ooooh yes England 3 Argentina 2 was sooooo sweet. I hope the cube will inlcude samples of the trumpets and drums that do the "Great escape" at all Englands matches.

Yeah - and samples of Argentinians refusing to swap shirts after they got fckd. Samples of Argintinians going into a flat sulk would be good. Samples of them afterwards complaining that the match was fixed could also come in handy for comedy scores.

• I would guess it is the Choir - the symphonic cube is just big, but the choir will be a new mile-stone.

• hmmn....

24bit complete symphonic orchestra?"Symphonic Cube"
    Coming soon...

[ur]http://www.crypton.co.jp/jp/vienna/product/product_cube.html

Julian[/url]

• last edited
    last edited

@julian said:

hmmn....

24bit complete symphonic orchestra?"Symphonic Cube"
    Coming soon...

[ur]http://www.crypton.co.jp/jp/vienna/product/product_cube.html

Julian[/url]

This is either one kind of a quick (and cool) html hack or someone will be in the doghouse REAL badly. (and for a VERY long time)

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Argentina 2 England 3

Maybe this is a clue!

[*-)]: [*-)]: [*-)]:

• "this is the hard disk version coming ! no more stuffit !"

I believe even the Cube's hard disk will be compressed. Isn't it meant to be loaded (uncompressed) to another drive? Or so I recall the discussion a few months ago.

I'm more geeked about the possibility of a streamlined intelligent interface. When I was on the Synful demo, having one patch handle so many articulations was incomparable. Hooray for bass oboes and choirs and gazoos, but nothing would impact our day-to-day VSL work habits like an interface that interpreted MIDI live (or nearly live).

• last edited
    last edited

@Plowman said:

"this is the hard disk version coming ! no more stuffit !"

I believe even the Cube's hard disk will be compressed. Isn't it meant to be loaded (uncompressed) to another drive? Or so I recall the discussion a few months ago.

I'm more geeked about the possibility of a streamlined intelligent interface. When I was on the Synful demo, having one patch handle so many articulations was incomparable. Hooray for bass oboes and choirs and gazoos, but nothing would impact our day-to-day VSL work habits like an interface that interpreted MIDI live (or nearly live).

This IS the key!!!

More of the same is just more of the same. VSL is smart enough to realize that the future is a combination of their outstanding sampling and synful's interfacing.

Given that is now achieved with this forthcoming release- they will sell truckloads of this. If, however, they just add more to Pro Ed (to make SE), it will be undoubtedly excellent material, but... [:'(]

Mark my words - there are probably 5 different developers (min) working on this now. My money is still riding on VSL making the best solution.

Rob

• I am curious to see just how 'intelligent' an 'intelligent' instrument can be made at this point in time.. while I would value this as much as everyone else, I'm not sure that I'm willing to give up control of my articulation choices unless the system really works beyond what I've been imagining..
    I'm a fan of what Synful is doing, but the instruments don't always do exactly what you want them to, and fixing that afterwards is rather more frustrating than simply selecting the appropraite arts for the notes..

Not at all trying to sound negative, but obviously this area of development lies clearly in uncharted waters! [:)]

• If the Symphonic Cube is going to be 24 bit, will that alone as a feature be noticeable to our ears? The 16 bit samples have basically no noise in them at all so what can you get out of the 24 bit one's? I'm curious....

I truly hope they try something similar as Synful does with it's intelligence....imagine how much quicker we could compose and have realistic results instead of programming. [:)]

• the Prod ed and horizon series are 320gb all together. convert that to 24-bit and you're pretty clsoe to the magic 550, so whats coming on Nov 25th probably doesnt represent a huge leap in the number of samples or sampled instruments; nonetheless i'm dying to see what the people that brought us perf_legato have come up with that deserves this hype.. i bet it's a pony.

Im gonna call my pony 'clip-clop'. neigh.

• last edited
    last edited

@Austin Haynes said:

If the Symphonic Cube is going to be 24 bit, will that alone as a feature be noticeable to our ears? The 16 bit samples have basically no noise in them at all so what can you get out of the 24 bit one's? I'm curious....

I truly hope they try something similar as Synful does with it's intelligence....imagine how much quicker we could compose and have realistic results instead of programming. [:)]

If it is 24 bit then that will be a letdown. Except for my dog, honestly there is not much difference (beyond Placebo effect) for any of our clients!!!!

Plus the increase demand on our 4-5 PC's running VSL now [[;)]]

Rob

• I think that it is a dispenser spout which detects whether you're in the mood for Scotch or Gin, and fills your glass accordingly.

• last edited
    last edited

@jc5 said:

I am curious to see just how 'intelligent' an 'intelligent' instrument can be made at this point in time.. while I would value this as much as everyone else, I'm not sure that I'm willing to give up control of my articulation choices unless the system really works beyond what I've been imagining...

I don't know if VSL is doing this, but the need for instruments or tools (whatever you want to call them) to be able to have some awareness of musical knowledge structures has been pressing for some time now. When they finally come, such tools will seem like a great advance to us. Unless we remember that software tools that deal with text have had capabilities such as word search-and-replace for over 20 years, while we still don't have such a thing for, say, a musical motif across all tracks, etc. It's sad that we have to get 'excited' about software development in music-tools moving from the iron age to the bronze age.

I doubt very seriously that much will change in the performance tool area with whatever is coming on Nov. 26. I'll be very, very happy to be wrong, of course. It's just that I think commercial demands for tools to work equally well in real-time as they do in playback are hampering devolpment in this field. Even Eric, the Synful developer, has run into this mentality. If the developers could ignore the absurd requirement that their tools must work during real-time keyboard playing, then they could make huge advances and contributions. For example, if the tool were run "post playing," it would be trivial to analyze data, determine exact note lengths, whether crescendo and diminuendo is happening, etc., etc. and then swap in the most appropriate samples for those musical situations.

Going outside of VSL's focus ... imagine music processing tools that get away from the "signal processing" mindset and focus instead on musical structures. Then imagine being able to select all instances of a theme in an entire MIDI file, alter the second note of the theme, transpose the theme, assign it to a specific instrument, modify its loudness ... or whatever. Woud be cool, no?

Imagine a tool that knows harmonically where the expansion of a phrase reaches it's highest point and then can adjust the loudness layers of the sample instruments (to use EXS terminology) to build energy toward that point, and resolve it away after it. (Or, you could have it render the inverse of that ... increasing energy toward the cadence. You could do whatever you like, once the tool can actually deal with the data in musical terms.) You could click "render phrasing" with a slider giving you the scale at which to do so. And the underlying "best possible sample choice" engine from VSL would select and employ the best sounds to fit the musical situation. Of course you'll be able to tweak anything "manually" as well, just as you can now.

But, my point is that, when you compare tools such as PhotoShop and AutoCAD (not to mention plain old grep) to what we have to work with now, it's clear that music performance software tools fall far short of where they need to be.

Somehow, though, I think the collective desires expressed already in this thread far surpass what the VSL will be able to deliver this month. Such is the danger of "hyping" a crowd of highly imaginative and passionate people! Nevertheless, if the VSL can pull another rabbit out of a hat and address even some of these tired old issues, I'll certainly step up to the plate and buy it!

- Paul

• Bruce,
    Then i'd be dissappointed.

If however, it managed the subtle nuance between a brandy or cognac mood, and which cigar to enjoy, then that's a far more worthy achievement!

Regards,

Alex.

[H]

England 3 Argentinia 2.
    England 26 Australia 16.

Now let's see, Brandy or Cognac? hmmm.

• Ahhh! I'm just gonna wait, this is getting nonsense...

• Paul, very well written post! I enjoyed the read. Your right about the problem with hyping. Artists have quite an imagination and when you play with them...you might just be played......BUT since VSL is led by Herb who is also an "artist" let alone the majority of VSL we might be suprised with the outcome [;)] [:O] [:D] [:)] [[:|]]

• 3,456?

Whats that?

• last edited
    last edited

@Guy said:

Ahhh! I'm just gonna wait, this is getting nonsense...

You're joking!!!!

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

3,456?

Whats that?

Price (in EUR)?

A random sequence of numbers like 6,789 or 0,001 (EUR)?

[6]

• Any rumor about an Opus 3[*-)]: