Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,443 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,797 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• James,

I gathered from the previous posts that using the midi processing in GS3 was not a seemless transition from using the performance tool. I don't have GS3 yet so I really don't know (cm seems to clarify above.)

I can understand you not being thrilled with the PT if you've had tons of problems with it. I haven't had any consistant problems but I'm not running a sequencing program on the same machine (I run DP on a Mac.) It has always struck me as a very solid program, but we all pull our hair out over different things. Didn't mean to nullify any legitimate issues you may have.

Preparing to pull hair and a few teeth upon purcase of GS3 [:O]

Dave Connor

• Lol, I should really quit while I'm ahead.

I really think people are still misinturpreting my intentions and attitude regarding the Performance Tool. It took me quite a while to get the PT working on my system, but it's fine now. And, I really like it. It's a great piece of software. [:)]

But to me, the real genious is how the keyswitching setup combined with the MIDI processing rules, not the little utility itself. It just seemed to me like there should be a way to make some sort of plugin that alters the MIDI stream in the same way. This would give all of the benefits and make it so much easier for any new user. However, cm kindly replied and mentioned there were some timing issues that were discovered.

Not to sound too altruistic, but in essense, I'm mostly just trying to help VSL become a better and more user-friendly product (I guess that's the computer programmer in me coming out). Heck, I got the Tool working on my system now, so I can live happily with the PT as it is. But anyone who buys this product with the intention of using a sequencer and sampler on a single PC is going to face the same sort of tricky setup problems that I faced.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies guys. I didn't mean to drag this out so long. I'll be getting GS3 fairly soon myself, so I guess I'll soon find out first-hand how the MIDI-processing stuff works.

Oh, and apologies for the somewhat Gigastudio-themed topic here on the main thread. Probably should have been in the Gigastudio section. [[;)]]

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

There will be arttfiles for multi dynamic performance legati.
    No plans to abandon the performance tool.

How are these progressing?

I'min the process of making my GS3 template.... so I would really like these files! [:)]

• James, being part of "anyone" I'd just like to add I had only minor understanding issues with the installation (mixed up in&out hehe) of the PT with everything on 1 PC. So I can't confirm that everyone will experience problems with it, in fact I have not experienced any issues so far.

Btw. virtual cables are the way to go, there is the sticky topic at Giga section mentioning it since more than a year now, I wonder how you could that have missed...

PolarBear

• last edited
    last edited

@PolarBear said:

James, being part of "anyone" I'd just like to add I had only minor understanding issues with the installation (mixed up in&out hehe) of the PT with everything on 1 PC. So I can't confirm that everyone will experience problems with it, in fact I have not experienced any issues so far.

Btw. virtual cables are the way to go, there is the sticky topic at Giga section mentioning it since more than a year now, I wonder how you could that have missed...

PolarBear
    I'm glad you had a better experience than I did, though. Just based on the size of that post though, and the number of related posts this forum receives, my entire (original) point was there seem to be a lot of people that have initial trouble like I did, and I was suggesting an alternative course of development to help alleviate that - that's all.

Oh, and by "experiencing problem", you realize I'm only refering to problems understanding how to properly set the tool up, correct? I'm not talking about operational problems. Once you figure it out, everything works great.

Also, keep in mind that writing music isn't exactly my day job. So, I didn't exactly spend all my waking hours for the past year trying to figure this out. [[;)]]

• Yes I meant of course installation (with it)... so the only thing I got wrong was pretty basic for anyone dealing with MIDI. Technically, it worked flawless afterwards, too. But then again I read the forums more often so I might have run into more issues not knowing how to deal them if I wouldn't.