Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,474 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,084 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 12 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• I did a bad copy-paste and the end of my text was missing from the previous post.

Sorry.

By its absence. Sometime not to put music where we would expect it is the best contribution music can have. In "Torn Curtain" of the great Hitchcock, the absence of any music in the scene where Paul Newman is painfully trying to kill the agent with the door of a stove in a farm house, an electrical iron cord and so on tells us how difficult it really is to kill someone, even if our own life is in danger. The silence makes the scene looks like a laboratory analysis with the crude and terrific yet real sounds of the fight. We are assisting, powerless, to a murder, and like Newman we feel as rats taken in their last corner. No music would have give us this emotion.

I could go on with the use of period or repertoire music for social or political resonances but what I want to say was only that good film music has nothing to do with good music and should always be hear in context with all the other parts of a film. As I said it is the sum of all those parts that makes an great impact on us, emotionally and intellectually.

For me, listening to a cd of film music is like hearing just one channel of a group conversation.

Ciao.

• last edited
    last edited

@evanevans said:

"If Mozart was such a genius how come he couldn't write like Stravinsky?" lol Evan Evans

"He was the despair of my youth and the consolation of my old age" Igor Stravinsky on Mozart.That's wonderful, thanks Dave. I love how Stravinsky said that.

I actually am a secret admirer of Mozart, my quote has always been just for fun. [:)]

Evan Evans

Evan,

My composition teacher Harold (Hal) Johnson gave me that quote. I'm glad it's here for all to see.

Dave Connor

• last edited
    last edited

@dpcon said:

My composition teacher Harold (Hal) Johnson gave me that quote. I'm glad it's here for all to see.
    Love it.

Just so gosh darn well said. A few carefully selected words. Astonishing. He must have been as good of a speaker as he was a composer. I could just relish the lyricism of syllables. And on top of that to have such poignant meaning, and such deep meaning. WOW.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I realised thats what you originally meant. Weird? Of course he was weird! Like Beethovan and Mozart and all the others were normal, right?

Ah, don´t take me wrong, I love Bach. For me it was just curious to hear that he was an oldfashoned guy. Normally we´re used to learn that all these unforgotten composers were renewers and at some forefront and relovutionary and bla, bla, bla. Actually I didn´t want to make a long story out of it.

Let´s forget about the "story" thing. Basically we all think the same. I used a wrong word, "story". Maybe "subject" would have been better.
    But nevertheless film is a narrative medium, and one should be aware in every stage of the production process, what the fuck you want to tell.
    I learned in my job as a sound editor /designer that you totally rely on the script how creativly you can use sound. You need subjective shots, actors who are listening and of course (film) time. Especially the first two things have to be in the script, they have to be part of the concept, the subject, otherwise they won´t gonna be shot. I know that the key to great sound design lies in the script. And I´m totally sure that it´s the same for music. The film has to be open to music. The film has to be made for music, it has to need music. Then you not only can do, you have to do something outstanding.
    Hm, since 99% percent of the films produced are narrative films with a story, I maybe keep up with my statement. I watch a movie because the story interests me, that comes first. I don´t buy a ticket for just great cinematography when the story sucks. And I don´t want to believe I´m the only one.
    Story is not only words, b.t.w.

• Evan,

Try this one. Robert Craft questioning Stravinsky on the merits of Richard Strauss' music.

Craft: Do you admit Strauss?

Stravinsky: I admit him to whatever purgatory punishes triumphant banality.

Is that a riot?

Dave Connor

• By being the reincarnation of Bernard Hermmann I have a little more insight than most. [:)] lol

But seriously, would you guys like to hear a VERY intersting secret about the score to Psycho? This will surprise you all!

[H]

Evan Evans

• Evan, just a shot.

Perhaps the music was not written to picture?

Dave Connor

• I suppose evanevans has some "scoop" no one else could know, however I would guess that the secret is the shower scene was originally to have no music but Herrmann surprised Hitchcock (which is what happened).

I agree with much of what groove says. That is a good point to raise with Torn Curtain. The scene involved, in which Hitchcock stated he wanted to show in a direct way how hard it can be to kill a man, was done with no music for a reason. To make it more brutal and inhuman. No matter how great the music is, there is always something of a "commentary" being made as soon as it is heard. In other words, the director wants to "communicate" with us through the composer about the meaning of the scene. When there is no music at all, something else can happen - a raw, unadulterated reality that can be a thousand times more shocking and powerful than any commentary.

Which is an odd thing for a composer to say, but I actually believe it because cinema itself is an art form all by itself and it is debatable whether or not music should be used at all in film.

Though before anyone starts shrieking at me how ridiculous that is I agree that some of the greatest movies ever made are great because of their music scores.

That got off the subject but was suggested by the powerful evidence of that scene in Torn Curtain.

• I suppose it's alright to go along these lines. After all, scoring a film is a type of orchestrating of film i.e. arranging the music with the film. This speaks to the correct notion of music as one of the many elements that make up a film (not a profound point but rather curiously debated around here.)

One of my favorite Goldsmith scores is Coma which has a brilliant score. However, there is no music for the first hour. Since the first hour is mainly set in a dry clinical setting of a hospital there is no music. The story as well stays in this clinical environment. The music would have added an element that just isn't on the screen and doesn't need to be either.

As soon as things get dramatic, regardless of the setting and including the hospital, in comes JG like the master that he is. Great great score.

So I agree with the importance of music even if it's found important to keep it out.

Dave Connor

• To take a hint from Dave and mention something back on orchestration but in the light of film, I'm wondering if anyone has noticed the scores of Roy Webb. Though he wrote an enormous amount of stuff in the 40s, his best music was for the films of Val Lewton - the original Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, Seventh Victim, Isle of the Dead, Leopard Man, Curse of the Cat People, and several others. These have some of the most remarkable music written at the time, both in the impressionistic harmony featuring a lot of bitonality, and in the imaginative approach to the orchestration especially in dealing with the lack of funds on a relatively low budget studio production.

His scoring was for strings, harp, only a couple of brass players, but about six woodwinds with doubling on different instruments - oboe switching to english horn, clarinet to bass clarinet. He got a maximum amount of color and variety in his orchestration, with a minimum number of players. This is almost unheard of today, with the approach of so many composers who in order to show how masterful they are smear huge sections and ensembles (or have their orchestators do so) over simplistic, often monophonic themes.

Also, Webb's music exhibited another rarity of today - subtlety. He would score for example in I Walked with a Zombie a solo flute playing a haunting pianissimo motif over the delicate, ethereal black and white cinematography with no sound effects except maybe a trace of low wind or reverberating footsteps. This exquisite approach is all but forgotten in today's thunderous dolby5.1 cacophony.

• Alright.

To the person who can correctly tell me the age Herrmann was when he wrote the score to Psycho, I will send a very special something related to the subject that NO ONE else has.

And yes, it is a trick question. And I'll be making sure you didn't guess. But although it's a trick question, the answer IS TRUE, and will shock you all.

Evan Evans

• last edited
    last edited

@evanevans said:

Alright.
    And yes, it is a trick question. And I'll be making sure you didn't guess. But although it's a trick question, the answer IS TRUE, and will shock you all.
    Evan Evans

Hmm, a trick ha? I know! He didn't write the score - you ghost wrote it, pre-incarnation, so he could finish ghost writing the score to Pillow Talk?

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

Eighteen. He was at Julliard NY music college.
    This was the answer I was searching for. How did you know this? Can you explain to everyone how you came to this answer?

The interesting thing is that you have answered with knowledge that is extremely undocumented. There lies maybe two documents in existence that dates this material back this far. The public opinion, even if you understand the "secret" is 1935, when he was 24.

But the correct answer, FROM MY MEMORY, is 19. But you could be right if you calculate birthday and such.

So, for your reward, you'll have to explain a little, but you have already mentioned some things that tell me you have the definitive answer. [:)]

Evan Evans

• I maybe a bit lost but are you just saying he reused his themes/thematic elements and one theme used in Psycho pre dates the Sinfonietta as Smith points out in "A heart a Fire's Center" (sic).

Or are you actually saying he wrote the Psycho score before the movie had been conceived ?

Thanks

Nick

• The film was not conceived until 1960 so if Herrmann had some motifs or whatever is being referred to that he later developed it was not Psycho. It was material he later developed into that score.