Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,314 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,487 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 64 new user(s).

• So, no one knows or has heard of Roy Webb? Maybe Val Lewton?

No? Believe me, you are missing something!

• PaulR,

Still awaiting the explanation for the reward. Good work!

Evan Evans

• William,

Sorry didn't get around to responding.

Roy Webb - fabulous composer! Wonderful main titles that guy has written. And score of course. How large was his output? It seems I've seen his name so many times.

Val Lewton - you will have to remind me of his films.

Dave Connor

• William,

Sorry didn't get arond to responding.

Roy Webb - fabulous composer! Wonderful main titles that guy has written. And score of course. How large was his output? It seems I've seen his name so many times.

Val Lewton - you will have to remind me of his films.

Dave Connor

• Hi Dave

Lewton's films were the low budget RKO horror productions of the 40s: Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, Curse of the Cat People, Leopard Man, Seventh Victim, Isle of the Dead, Bedlam, The Body Snatcher. They are extremely atmospheric, black and white little films, imaginative use of standing sets of RKO (for example the Magnificent Ambersons' mansion) and famous for the use of suggestion instead in evoking horror instead of monsters, makeup, etc. But Roy Webb really outdid himself on the scores. They were recently re-recorded as one of that great series of old film scores on the Marco Polo label (which includes the Universal monster movies) reconstructed and orchestrated (by ear) from the original three staff scores by John Morgan to match the original orchestrations. An extremely difficult thing to do - listening to the old film soundtrack mixed with dialogue, effects, etc. as your only guide. They sound flawless to me.

• Oh my oh my...

Where would we be without Paul on the VSL forum? I laughed so many times at that last one that I had to keep finding my place.

The first time I ever responded to a post of his, it went something like this, "Who would have thought that the most brilliant mind on the forum would show up in the form of comic relief?" I must confess it was a response to one of Evans posts (shocker there.)

Well I'm satisfied to finely know the answer to the Herrmann riddle, so can we drop this now and continue in this very serious vein about.........? gee.... what's this thread about again? where...? what...? who...? wherefore art thou...
    hmm...
    is this a Shakespeare thread?

David Connor

• btw sorry about the redundant posts guys. I tend to edit after a glance, then find myself in duplicate later. A few peole have posted their IQ's on the forum. Obviously there's no need here. Can't operate a web browser so, no mystery there.

Cheers

DC

• I decided to delete this not on any legal grounds but because of excessive silliness. I get that way at times and I guess this should be a more serious discussion.

• PaulR,

That is very sneaky of you. My goodness. Well, kudos for your good research but I guess you sort of got the answer from the person asking the question. I will send you your prize.

Email please.

[:)]

Evan Evans

• LOL!!!!

Now I truly understand! I am the reincarnation of Elfman! I know, he is still alive, but his music has changed so much over the years, hasn't it? I must have swallowed his soul in some moment, wanting so hard to become a composer... maybe I also have even swallowed John William's, JNH's or Thomas Newman's soul too... GREAT!!! ... but I must say I prefered Beethoven or Mozart's, but their souls are actually in hands of some Hollywood Lawyers and they are not letting them go...

Thanks for the clarification...

Regards [:D]

(sorry I could not resist)

• In attempted recovery from certain other disturbing things going on here, I thought I would mention one other great composer/orchestrator - Bartok. Specifically, one of his greatest scores - Concerto for Orchestra. Another of the defining pieces of modern orchestration. The whole concept of the piece was to create a work that exhibited the different facets of the orchestra in the manner of a solo concerto, but for the entire ensemble.

• William,

Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra is great on so many levels as you mentioned. We forget how modern and unique that piece is in almost all it's elements: Melody, Harmony, Modality, Rhythm, Color, Form, Orchestration and even Instrumentation if I'm not mistaken.

I like his entire body of work from Bluebeards Castle to Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste to his incredible String Quartets.

We would never have had the original theme from "The Outer Limits" (Dominic Frontiere) without Bartoks 2nd Piano Concerto. Which brings to mind his totally original writing for that instrument. He's a giant among composers of the last century.

Dave Connor

• Dave,

I agree and another thing remarkable about Bartok is his incorporation of irregular meters and modalities, among other elements, from the folk music traditions he was an expert on.

• [quote=dpcon]William,

Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra is great on so many levels as you mentioned. We forget how modern and unique that piece is in almost all it's elements: Melody, Harmony, Modality, Rhythm, Color, Form, Orchestration and even Instrumentation if I'm not mistaken.

I like his entire body of work from Bluebeards Castle to Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste to his incredible String Quartets.

We would never have had the original theme from "The Outer Limits" (Dominic Frontiere) without Bartoks 2nd Piano Concerto. Which brings to mind his totally original writing for that instrument. He's a giant among composers of the last century.

Bartok: absolutely. Thinking about the music for strings percussion and celesta, with its amazing whirring insect music - prefigures Ligeti, Grisey, FSOL, etc. Also a gorgeously worked out fugue in the first movement, and we don't get too many of those around here these days...

BTW quite a nice Ligeti Hommage in the score for the remake of Solaris. I'm not sure about the marimba-type stuff though. Who was this? Jonathan Larsen?

• I think that Rimsky-Korsakov was the greatest orchestrator of all time in a vertical sense. His tutti chord voicing and instrumentation was incredibly well balanced and 'crystal clear'. No instrument intrudes on any other and all are blended but can still be heard individually. My biggest gripe about his compositions is that they sound too vertical. Kind of like one beautiful balanced chord after another, not enough horizontal tension in the orchestration in my very very humble opinion.
    BTW, I have taken all the examples from Volume 1 of 'Principles of Orchestration' (the section with all the words and short examples) and created Sibelius 2 and 3 files out of them. I figured I would never really be able to hear those examples if I didn't play them back some how. I had some real 'aha!' moments when I listened to them and read the explanations. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post a link to the Sibelius files or Midi files if they are of any interest to any of you.
    thanks,
    Julie

• Yes, very interesting! Very gracious. T think it would be great for all here if you´d post a link!

Thanks!
    - Mathis

• Yes indeed that would be wonderful! [:P]

I too just bought that book and was thinking it would be so much better if it had a CD to go with it. I thought of making one myself but it'd be hard to find recordings of all those examples especially excerpts from his operas (I didn't even know he wrote any). Not even sure there are available recordings for all his work anyway unless you'd go hunting for old 78rpm in garage sales in St-Pertersburg! Hmm, [I] come to think of it, that sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

=m=a=r=c=