Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,443 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,797 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 20 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• So if you're using this stand alone, you'll still need a MIDI yoke right?  Are there any 64-bit MIDI yokes out there right now?  Does MIDI over LAN work in 64-bit?

• Well, the old VSL Performance Tool already used virtual MIDI ports, so I'd imagine it will be simple for VSL to pipe MIDI into the VE from other Windows apps (OS X has virtual MIDI built-in). But even with a 3rd party virtual MIDI app, it wouldn't have to be 32-bit. It's only the memory-intensive VE itself that needs to be 64-bit - even your sequencer could be 32-bit, since 32 and 64-bit process coexist happily on XP x64. At least that's how I understand it working...

• last edited
    last edited

Actually nothing has to be 64bit (apart from drivers), providing that you can run multiple copies. Of course this doesn't work with all audio cards.

DG

• hehe... something tells me a few issues have popped up :)

• Yeah. Less than three weeks to go and still nothing to test. [:(]

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Actually nothing has to be 64bit (apart from drivers), providing that you can run multiple copies. Of course this doesn't work with all audio cards.

DG

I have a feeling this won't work, DG, as it sounds as though the VE uses a client-server model, like the VI on OS X. So multiple standalones of the VE would not launch multiple servers... I'm not sure about this, of course, but from what I understand, they've made the new VI (2.0) VST/AU use host-based memory (as it already did on Windows), and the VE use "vsl-server"-based memory. The idea being that you can access double the RAM on 32-bit systems (well, OS X anyway, since xp standard can only ever access 3GB) by maxing out the hosts memory with VI instances, and maxing out the VE server as well. On 32-bit OS X, that would give you 3.x GB in the host and 3.x GB in the vsl-server (or whatever they call it). And what's cool about the new model (again, if I'm understanding it correctly), is that you could load VE instances **as VSTs** and still be loading up memory external to your host. This way, with a mix of VI and VE instances (all VSTs), you'd get your 7-ish GB of RAM loaded, and still be running all the audio from within your host app! But what I really don't understand is where the VE Standalone loads its memory. Is it another separate process, like the old VI Standalone, or does it also load to the vsl-server??? Of course, the real point is to just go 64-bit asap, and solve the problem in one go.... But we OS X folks are going to have to wait on that. Thanks, Apple... --- J.

• I thought that leopard was supposed to be out at the start of october? But there is no mention anywhere of a release date! For people using Logic 8, if vienna works on Leopard then hopefully the transistion should be smooth enough? I just hope Altiverb works!

• last edited
    last edited

@Simsy said:

I thought that leopard was supposed to be out at the start of october?
    Well, out some time in October. Probably *very* near the end of the month. But they're not making any noises about more delays, so I do think we'll see it in October. However, the problem with Apple and 64-bit is that they apparently got rid of a framework that VSL was using for their 64-bit support. From what I understand, frameworks are small, dynamically loaded files, so I'm not quite sure why Apple wouldn't just let VSL install the framework as part of their VE installer... (??) Dunno. But the point is that VSL now has to adapt their 64-bit support for Leopard to some new Apple framework. This won't mean a complete re-write, I don't think, but it could be a nightmare of refactoring, and then, of course, testing... And speaking of testing... 😉 ---J.

• So.... can we assume the release date is delayed?

• last edited
    last edited

@Christian Marcussen said:

So.... can we assume the release date is delayed?

No, no, no! Please, no... I'm absolutely dying for this app... It seems like the beta program has been delayed, or maybe even cancelled, but I really hope they don't delay the release. It would be very odd for a company to specify an actual day, and not deliver. So, I doubt the release is delayed. But, considering that 1) it's a host for VI, and VI alone, and 2) it's free, they may not be in such desperate need for a beta program after all. ---J.

• Please say it ain't so!!

• Just noticed the 25th is a Full Moon! I have a feeling, call it intuition, that there will be a lot of lunacy that day. Maybe I'll stay home and listen to a little bit of Pierrot lunaire accompanied by a nice bottle of red wine and join in on the lunacy afterwards :-)

• Is there some changes in the manner of the perform "learn" and "optimize" work or will be the same : i.e reload all to change one note?

BEst regards

• 5 days to go, and still no more news. VSL owes me nothing, but I would just like some sort of confirmation that the release date hasn't slipped, because I desperately need to update my system, and I want to know whether to wait for this update or not.

Pretty please.........[:)]

DG

• I guess what you are asking makes sense, but I think that it would be a little bit complicated to do. Perhaps a re-learn feature, where you play the tracks, and VE checks which notes are changed, if any, and then loads the appropriate samples.

However, this features would only be quicker if there was a global learn and re-learn button, as in most cases it would probably be quicker to load the whole instruments than to play the track!

DG

• We've discussed the "re-learn" feature before. What I find strange is that you can't just drag the appropriate patch back into a cell - doing this still results in the same samples missing! That would be the quickest way (for me) of reloading only the samples you need to create a new part.

• I actually have 4.5GB Ram on my G5, and i'm still working with Logic7. Now i want to buy some additional Ram. So does it - with Vienna Ensemble but without Logic8 - anyhow make sense to upgrade to 8GB, or would it be "enough" to have 6.5 GB, and wait with the additional 2GB until i buy L8?

• Wonder if there will be any power panning presets for various size instrumentations -- would be nice.

• last edited
    last edited

@herb said:

Vienna Ensemble will run on 32 and 64 Bit systems.

It is planned that windows XP 64 and and Vista 64 will be released on 25th October.

OSX Leopard 64 Bit version will be delayed a little.

The OSX 32-bit version releases on 25th Oct will work on Leopard.

just for clarification, concerning OSX.... does this mean it will ONLY work on Leopard, or will it run on a slightly earlier version? I have to keep my OS at 10.4.6 (the newest is 10.4.9) in order to run some other un-updatable plug-ins, so just wanna make sure this thing will work on my OS.

thanks!

>m 

•  So....? Where i can download that beautiful VE?[:D]