Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,440 users have contributed to 42,227 threads and 254,796 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 4 new thread(s), 22 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• I didn't see anything in the Apple information to make me think there's any reason to update. Am I wrong?

• last edited
    last edited

@Nick Batzdorf said:

I didn't see anything in the Apple information to make me think there's any reason to update. Am I wrong?

Honestly, Nick? I rarely understand why these things are updated at all as far as DAWs are concerned. I would have been happy to stay with 10.4.8, except once X4.9 was released it seemed that 10.4.8 started acting up on me.

Other than the alleged USB fix which might have had some residual benefit with dongles, I didn't see anything in particular where virtual instruments were concerned.

"if it ain't broke..."

• Updated using Automatic update (which seems to select the right update for my computer rather than me possibly choosing the wrong one) on my MacbookPro and had a long session with VI and LogicPro yesterday and everything seems fine. Hope the voodoo doesn't get me!

• JWL... you're right! ...on DiskWarrior 4, there is the new feature "Repair Disk Permissions"... [[;)]]

EDIT (3 hours later): ...sorry if we're going OT (it's a Parallel Cell [:D] ...ehm ehm... Topic![:O]ops[:)], but I've got to write this (also if I've not problem at all... just curiosity!)...
    JWL (cm) I've repaired Disk Permissions with DW4 (booting from DW's DVD)... it's indeed repaired some of them... after re-booting MacOS X (still 10.4.9) on my startup disk, the first thing I've done, I've launched DiskUtilities and... Repaired Permissions again (just to see if DW has done a good job)... Well... also if DW 4 has Repaired Permissions... Disk Utilities has done it again... finding some errors... [[:|]] [*-)]: [*-)]: [*-)]:

I give up. [:'(]

• rino-- there's no telling what's going on under the hood with these things.

If DW fixed some permissions and not others, and if OSX Repair managed a few others besides-- dunno-- difficult to say.

I'd be careful about using both permissions repair at the same time until Apple or Alsoft could shed some light on how each impacts on the system.

Generally speaking, I use Apple's own utilities first until such time the reports it gives indicate that it could not repair something. Then, I resort to DW and consign its results as final.

Where a file cannot be repaired, it's probably best to just replace the file. How each utility repairs permissions and directories is a bit of a mystery. One wonders with Apple's own utility why DW would be needed at all, exccept that DW *seems* to do a better job overall. I wouldn't take this as law, but it sounds to me that you are in good shape, Rino. I'd leave things alone until either utility tells you that there is a specific problem.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

there's no telling what's going on under the hood with these things.

I agree... completely! [:D]

Thanks JWL for... chattering! [[;)]]
    Cheers...
    R

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

there's no telling what's going on under the hood with these things.

I agree... completely! [:D]

Thanks JWL for... chattering! [[;)]]
    Cheers...
    R

é stato un piacere! [:P]

• [[[:D]]] [[[:D]]] [[[:D]]]

• ...anyway here all good.

• Glad to hear that people are having success!

Certain apps are getting confused by the number of the OS. It seems that Cocoa apps read only four digits without decimals, so 10.4.10 and 10.4.1 are both being read by some apps as 1041. Confusing.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070628105254900

• Audio Update 2007-001 http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/
    if you have Version 1.1 of the 10.4.10-Update you don't need it
    it is related to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305840
    [*-)] christian

and remember: only a CRAY can run an endless loop in just three seconds.
  • Thanks [[;)]]

• AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry, but installed 10.4.10 and now I have major problems!! If I run even Itunes or quicktime without my MOTU connected evrything is fine, but as soon as I turn my interface on nothing works. If i press play in Itunes it freezes, if I press play in quicktime it plays but no sound!!! Plus the machine gets real slow!!!

I can't just roll back to 10.4.9? Do I have to reinstall the OS and then run updates till 10.4.9? If I reinstall the os will that then mean I will have to reinstall DP, all my vienna instruments etc?

Help lease I am really stuck, any suggestions would be gratefully received!!!

• A further word of caution:

The latest versions of iTunes 7.3.1 and QuickTime 7.2 have been problemmatic for some DAW users. There were security issues with both, which was allegedly addressed in part by Security Update 2007-006. While Audio Update 1.1 helped DAW users, more specific information is not known regarding how well all of these updates in combination are functioning at this time.

• last edited
    last edited

@Simsy said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry, but installed 10.4.10 and now I have major problems!! If I run even Itunes or quicktime without my MOTU connected evrything is fine, but as soon as I turn my interface on nothing works. If i press play in Itunes it freezes, if I press play in quicktime it plays but no sound!!! Plus the machine gets real slow!!!

I can't just roll back to 10.4.9? Do I have to reinstall the OS and then run updates till 10.4.9? If I reinstall the os will that then mean I will have to reinstall DP, all my vienna instruments etc?

Help lease I am really stuck, any suggestions would be gratefully received!!!

Try the Audio Update 1.1 first. Log out and log in again-- or restart the computer.

Otherwise, this might be of interest to you:
    http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/340463/downgrade-mac-osx-10-4-9-a/

• Make sure you are using the latest update of OX 10.4.10....there is a newer one (.1 I think) that corrects some audio problems. I'm using with Pro Tools HD accel Mac Pro no problems.

I installed it tonight on my Mac Mini which runs Vienna Instruments so I have yet to see if it causes any weirdness.

The Mac install process requires a restart after installation, it is not a choice. Once you restart, repair permissions, get back to work[;)]

Tom

• Hi

It only hangs when I turn my MOTU interface on!!!! The MIDI Audio Utility doesn't even work!!! I tried to reinstall by putting in my OS disk and selecting Archive option. After it reinstalled I checked my mac OS and it says it is now 10.4.9. But the problem is still there!!!!!!!

I can't do any work, as I can't record any audio or play back as the only way to here is through the internal speaker on the mac pro and it is really bad.

Please someone help!!

• last edited
    last edited

@Simsy said:

Hi

It only hangs when I turn my MOTU interface on!!!! The MIDI Audio Utility doesn't even work!!! I tried to reinstall by putting in my OS disk and selecting Archive option. After it reinstalled I checked my mac OS and it says it is now 10.4.9. But the problem is still there!!!!!!!

I can't do any work, as I can't record any audio or play back as the only way to here is through the internal speaker on the mac pro and it is really bad.

Please someone help!!

Update or reinstall the MOTU audio driver...I just had to do that on a Mac Mini because after installing 10.4.10.1 my M AUDIO 1814 no longer showed up as an active interface. I just downloaded a newer driver, installed, and all is well again....you could try it...

Tom

• Hi

When I did the reinstall, it kept all my applications but I lost my drivers. So I had to reinstall my printer, keyboard and MOTU driver. The printer and keyboard works but the MOTU still breaks!!

• Which MOTU...?
    If you have a FW828mkII (but I think it work with every MOTU... only I don't know how to do it with other models), reset to Factory Defaults...:
    -shut down everything
    -switch on just the 828
    -press SETUP and turn the knob all to the right (you'll read on display: Factory Defaults)
    -press SELECT and then VALUE
    -press SETUP again
    -turn the computer on

Hope it will help you...