Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,519 users have contributed to 42,236 threads and 254,835 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 24 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• Albinoni - Mozart - Poznansky - Puccini

It's a pleasure for me to announce these new demos:

Puccini's Turandot - Nessun Dorma
    (one of my favourite operas)
    The vocal solo is performed by Ferdinand von Plettenberg
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5050

an impressive original composition by Amit Poznansky
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5051

Albinoni's famous Adagio, William Kersten expertly combined our Appassionata Strings with the Konzerthaus Organ
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5052

and finally Mozart's piano concerto K488 peformed by Giovanni Rotondo,
    exclusively arranged with the Special Edition - Standard Library
    http://www.vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=13&DemoId=5053

thanks a lot!
    Herb

• Great pieces! I absolutely love Amit Poznansky composition..EXCELLENT! I HAVE to know what reverbs/room he was using? It is probably the best that I have heard for my taste and needs. Absolutely stunning!

Amit, I woould really appreciate the info...congrats on a great job!

• Greets to Amit! I am very much impressed...! Wonderful arrangement, beautifully programmed... my highest appreciation [H]

What patches did you use to do the the slides at the start?

• Congratulations to all!

Puccini: This is the 1st time I hear a combination of vocal and sample so well balanced, you could tell a good care went into that.

Amit: Fantastic mix!

William: A piece like that is always a huge challenge but you pulled it off. I appreciated the subtle quicker notes, the way you kept them airy. Nice!

Mozart: Another big challenge. Great balance.

• Lovely arrangements - great renditions - excellent original composition and the Puccini was beautiful.

It's a wonderful thing you've got going here Herb. [:D]

• Herb,

The Mozart is my favorite of his piano concertos. Thank you so much!

Banquo

• To Amit,

Excellent piece, right on the money in EVERY respect;You left me wanting more!!!

• Excellent work all!

William-- lovely and touching performance.

Amit-- exciting composition and spectacular production!! Please give us some insights into your mixing.

Best,
    Jay

• Guy and Jay - thanks! You are The Masters, and it is great hearing from you. I love this piece intensely, and tried to do it according to my feelings. I don't know if that is successful or not, but it is the only thing i can go on.

Rotondo's performance of the Mozart is excellent. And I really liked the Amit Poznanski.

I have to give a great ovation to Michael Hula's performance and Dietz's mix of the orchestra on the Puccini, and...

FERDINAND VON PLETTENBURG

BRAVO!!!!

I would be in the audience cheering like a maniac for this brilliant, great tenor. His performance is powerful, impassioned, inspiring.

Thanks to Herb and VSL for creating this universe of sound!

• We got around 20 minutes of enjoying music with this 4 pieces!
    This means 300 - 400 h in total for producing this music (or more?).
    So we are probably listening to 2 or more month of work!

Thanks for the big effort to everybody who has worked on this "little 20 minutes".
    Beside these reflections:
    4 splendid results! Congratulations!

Beat Kaufmann

- Tips & Tricks while using Samples of VSL.. see at: https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/vitutorials/ - Tutorial "Mixing an Orchestra": https://www.beat-kaufmann.com/mixing-an-orchestra/
  • Excellent work !!

• Well done everybody for these demos. As well as demonstrating the admirable skill and musicality of the contributors, they make it plain what can be done with the Vienna samples. I take my hat off to anyone prepared to put in the unpaid work to create pieces like these, and would like to add a word of support for Guy Bacos for the amazing fund of VSL demos he's created to date.

• Love the "sound" of Amit's piece, don't suppose he could share some hints about the reverb(s) used.

Many Thanks

Dave Hage

• I'd love to hear a second version of the Albinoni at a slightly slower tempo. I have often felt that this beautiful composition is played too fast - this was confirmed when I finally heard a recording at a real mournful adagio - maybe William would consider simply adjusting his tempo map?

Otherwise, great works folks!
    Regards - Colin

• last edited
    last edited

@musos said:

I'd love to hear a second version of the Albinoni at a slightly slower tempo. I have often felt that this beautiful composition is played too fast - this was confirmed when I finally heard a recording at a real mournful adagio - maybe William would consider simply adjusting his tempo map?

Otherwise, great works folks!
    Regards - Colin

Does anyone actually remember who wrote "Albinoni's Adagio"? I've forgotten. [:O]ops:

DG

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

Does anyone actually remember who wrote "Albinoni's Adagio"? I've forgotten. [:O]ops:

DG

Remo Giazotto in 1958 so it's still copyright unfortunately. Once I've got my Euphonium I can share with the assembled company my own transcription for tuba quartet - unless there are howls of protest [:(]

• last edited
    last edited

@DG said:

DG

Remo Giazotto in 1958 so it's still copyright unfortunately. Once I've got my Euphonium I can share with the assembled company my own transcription for tuba quartet - unless there are howls of protest [:(]
    Ah, that's right. Thanks....!

DG

• ... wonderful, wonderful, wonderful

this is just an amazing toolset ..... in the hands of some very, very remarkable people.

thank you

[:D]

• Thank you all very much for your kind response and comments!

Some of you asked about the technical aspects of Evasion:

The string section was a combination of the Appassionata, Orchestral and Chamber Strings VI's. I also used the brass, woodwinds, harps, and percussion packages included in the Symphonic Cube.

Regarding your mixing questions-
    For reverb I used several IR's of Altiverb 6 with various custom settings I've created.
    I applied some fairly aggressive EQ settings on the Brass (particularly the trumpets).
    Interestingly, I ended up applying different EQ settings to the different articulations of the strings, so that the legato articulations were applied one EQ setup and the spiccato articulations another.

I got this piece done on a single DAW PC, with 4 gigs of RAM ("3 Giga switch" option enabled); none of the tracks were bounced into audio, and it was all sequenced in real-time.

Once again, thank you all for the response!

Best Regards,

Amit Poznansky

• All four demos are great; the Hula/Tinhof/Plettenberg performance of the Pucinni is astounding! I see a cottage industry springing up of people using VSL to create accompaniment for standard repetoir arias (can I say cottage and VSL in the same sentence?). As a matter of fact, Would it be possible to have this one with and without the great tenor Plettenbeg, so that the most amateur of us can take a crack at it in the shower?