Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,360 users have contributed to 42,221 threads and 254,768 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• Just a little note in between these FASCINATING posts which have not the slightest bit of pedantry about them, not at all...

"Angelo, forgive me I'm not doing a William but......" - David Carter

"What is that supposed to mean?" - William

"having an unnecessary strop I'm afraid. As much as I enjoy your constructive contributions to the discussions here your destructive ones too often overshadow them." - David Carter

O.K. Thanks for that clarification Mr. Big Bore.

However, you are using the term in error. What you are referring to is known as "doing an Angelo." "Doing a William" is posting useful information, or discussing interesting topics, in a polite and friendly manner. "Doing an Angelo" is shrieking like a wounded maniac who has just escaped from an institute for the criminally insane, or listing to the point of obsession huge conglomerations of worthless information as part of a catatonic, repetitive and meaningless stereotyped behavior which is characteristic of certain forms of schizophrenic breakdown.

I say all this just to be clear on our terminology.

• Q.E.D.

• Just joking... [6]

• and I thought this "Not Doing A William" is a jig Dave did not compose for contrabass tuba in a pear schnaps tonality

• Pear Schnapps? Yes. An essential pre-posting libation.

• Hmmm....Having quickly browsed through this thread, and read some of the info presented i offer the following.....

Dave Cater hit the nail on the head when he spoke of extended ranges beyond the attempt to explain limits in sound engineering terms. I did a bit of work some years ago with a concert band, and with their enthusiasm for playing the classics, the conductor/Arranger/Orchestrator was obsessed with exploring pedal tones in large bore brass to create subtone effects. It was an interesting project and the players were keen to match previously 'unattainable' notes with some degree of musicality. Given the mechanics of producing sound with brass, those with experience in this field will know just how fine a line one crosses when transiting between a definable tone, and, well, farting out notes. So according to Angelo's chart, these attempts would be outside of the presented parameters.
    And yet they took place, so not impossible, and importantly, not so easily boxed within a framework that attempts to quantify the HUMAN production of sound by reducing it to a definable digital explanation.

Human beings play instruments, with the infinite variables that are the result.

Dave also mentioned Tuba virtuoss, and this would be true of most instruments, not just brass. I've done some weird stuff with woodwinds outside of any definable table of contents for 'How to play an instrument', and i was no virtuosi.

It's easy to present a chart of reference, so to speak, but a lot harder to apply it to ACTUAL instrument playing.
    That's the human bit that is the difference between contemputous dismissal by explanation of one of the mysteries of musical life with the attempted reduction of human input to digital 'sectors', and the wonder of sound produced for the sake of playing, with all the imperfections and variablity that no machine or chart can emulate.
    That's why I (and i speak only for myself) prefer recorded samples to synthesised tonal production. At least they're human.

Just two roubles worth.

Alex.

p.s. You can keep your Pear Schnapps. I'll take the Cognac.

• I've just run out of white Villeroy & Boch tiles for my bathroom. Anyone got some?

Alex - I hate Russians. AFAIC they stink up the planet. Nice to see you again btw.

Angelo - stop sulking you jerk.

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I've just run out of white Villeroy & Boch tiles for my bathroom. Anyone got some?

Alex - I hate Russians. AFAIC they stink up the planet. Nice to see you again btw.

Yes Sir, I'm here Sir!
    Tiles are ready Sir!
    Anything else Sir?
    Ah, yes Sir, I think you forgot something, Sir!

• last edited
    last edited

@PaulR said:

I've just run out of white Villeroy & Boch tiles for my bathroom. Anyone got some?

You've run out of tiles? Aaawww, that's a real shame. (No. Really.) Why don't you finish the job with magnolia tiles from Viceroy and Crapper. No one will know..

Not that cruise around sniffing Russians, but I will say they don't ALL smell, and quite a few of the ladies are rather pleasant to glance at from time to time!

And it's good to see you again as well, dear fellow. I see the renovating continues to rejuvenate your sense of humour!

Regards,

Alex.

• Dave,
    was in town, and brought a concentrated medication of tuba, the three compact disc set with the orchestra audition collection from Edition Peters:

http://www.schott-international.com/shop/php/Proxy.php?purl=/ze_e/Sheet_Music/1000279/1661192/show,214342.html

https://www.edition-peters.de/front_content.php?idcat=77&idart=91&product_id=EP8666&

http://www.edition-peters.com/php/stock_info.php?section=music&pno=MP8666

• Hm, was the chart removed? I cannot see it anymore.

• Hey Angelo! Danke Dir ;) Greets, Stephan

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on