Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,465 users have contributed to 42,228 threads and 254,805 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 49 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@janila said:

Guy, I understand that you're hurt right now but could you tell me which strings you used on the demo? Take this question as a positive remark from a guy who is more interested in getting the VSE after than before hearing the demo. [[:)]]

I pretty much used all the strings in Special Edition, for the sustained strings that was Appassionata, for the section that sounded like the old strings, that was portamento from string orchestra. Let me know if there's any specific places you want to know....This already helped as I just wanted to make sure that I don't have all those samples yet. [[:)]] I'm off to bed waiting for the articulation list. Thanks!

• The more i listen to it the more i like it. Your demos is perfect to show the versatility of a product like VI SE.

Well done Guy!

• I'm curious as to which of the legatos is included for the strings? Is it the regular one, the newer 'fast legato'? How well does it work?

In the Opus Bundle all the woodwind and brass legatos were phenomenal (though the performance tool was less than convenient over a multi system setup...), but the string legatos were.. well.. I personally found them unusable.. solid string legatos would be a big plus of this new set (and a positive of the new format.. which I still morn over for other reasons.. [:P] )

• is it possible to imagine a price for appassionate string for poeple whose have by opus1+2 ? os a special price if they want to change exs version too vsl instrument ?

• To the detractors: You have it all wrong. Where is your class and ettiquite!? Are we gentlemen or just savages? Do you have vocabulary enough to articulate a more polite critisism. Did you pay for this demo!?

Guy is a hard working and inspirational composer and deserves at the very least the common decency and respect of any other person. In addition he is putting his art out there publicly and i know he works very hard on every demo.

In regards to the mixing of this demo, it is nothing more than a different sound, and if you have narrowed your ears to the point of only hearing one sound as being right then you are not hearing the full picture! If you have ever listened to classical music recordings of the last 50 years and film music you will have heard this sound that Guy has attempted to employ, quite well in fact. The take 5 demo I don't know how you thought it was fit to bring in a critisism of that demo into this thread but I think most would disagree that he did a really splendid job on that demo in particular and the sax sound was unique and interesting.

But that's not the point, you have a right to your opinion, and Guy doesn't need defending, his track record speaks for itself.

What has prompted me to post rather is that I don't see why people think that a bulletin board like is any different than a real public wall or poster where you just cannot go and put any rubbish up on the wall and expect that it's ok because you have the saftey of relative annonimity. (Excuse my spelling I'm pretty busy). In any real setting you might hold your tongue with the tone, implications and strength of your language - quite unnecessarily over the top and overtly insulting without relative cause - because you would probably be concerned that someone, if not Guy, would smack you on the nose for talking like that to their face about their hard work. Well that's one thing, but change the circumstances - would you say that to a truck driver delivering your package "That truck driving delivery was so rubbish I almost vomited on the box" - no you would not, He might smack you on the face. What about your plumber or electrician. People generallyy don't talk like that to each others face - why because it's disgraceful that's why we know such people as loonatics and ranters and we stay AWAY from them in real life.

Guy is an artist, making a demo, if you don't like it, I'm sure he would appreciate hearing your comments in private, I know we've had discussions where I've critised something he was working on constructively, or lent my opinion and he's always listened and I know he appreciates all feedback is my point. If you feel so inclined to publicly address the matter for all to hear, then yes, you have the right to do so, in a human manner, by using words that you would use to a persons face, just, with a little class, a little common respect and decency - some manners. If you really do talk like that to people when you don't approve of something with in your opinion, too much reverb, then you really don't deserve to have the privaledge of posting on this board. If that sounds high handed that's probably because you're dwelling too low right now and you need to raise you standards as a person and consider the consequences of your words and moreover, your written words, posted publicly on the internet in a very insulting post. I don't see there was any need or justification of posting like that, and really you could have presented your opinion along with common respect and it would have been no less effective, but a lot less disrespectful to a fellow artist.

Miklos.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

guess that once one gets a Knighthood, then the feelings of all the rest of us commoners don't matter. Rolling Eyes

DG

It's not true, my friend.

Regards,

Sir Alexander the Bewildered,
    Lord of his own mind.......[[:|]]

• i am very impress by Guy Bacos SE demo it reveal the power of a great product
    i see myself loading it on a powerfull laptop and doing track on the fly..
    it can be a project saver to have that kind of Swiss Army knife in the pocket !

Guy Bacos is showing again is capability of composing in differrent style with samples.

Keep going ..you rock !

Mephisto [6]

• Thanks friends, but I'll be honest here, I don't put any importance to destructive comments (and BTW it almost looks suspicious...) what bugs me is that these comments always find their way on google under your name, I have comments of particular discussion written 9 months ago elsewhere that keep appearing under my name, and something like is not something you want people to see especially if it is not a fair representation of my work, this forum lets people express themselves but apparently some people have no consciousness of any harm they can do, I actually appreciate criticism since it's a way of improving your kraft but this is purely.... well you fill in the blank....

• Guy, can you confirm that the legato strings in VI SE are looped?

• Guy I'm sorry to hear about your Google problem, I know about this problem other people have had it's one of the reasons I feel very strongly about this kind of careless posting from people - to the uninitiated it can be a first impression.

Miklos.

• Just wanted to make some comments.

1. This forum is for criticism when someone posts they're work. Not composer bashing. I believe it went beyond criticism.

2. There are cases where he may have wanted it to sound otherwise wet like in a very large concert hall, not necessarily by a studio mixing perspective. If you listen more he changes the verb level quite a bit throughout the piece. I thought the piano reverb was acceptable and realistic if that is what he was going for.

3. Most companies hide their sounds flaws by creating demos and avoiding all the "ok" samples. VSL at least allows anyone to express any part of the library they wish. So you will probably here things you don't like.

• Points 1 and 2 - agreed.

Point 3 - all of VSL sounds good to me [:)]

Miklos.

• I'd like to second Sonrise's 3rd point. Having done many demos for VSL I could tell you that herb is as honest person as you will ever find and also regarding demos, no cover ups as Sonrise pointed out. I like to know that I'm using a product where the head administration has other goals than making a buck, making sure people are not disappointed after they purchased their lib. Thanks herb for the honesty we get.

• When I looked up google for "Guy Bacos" the only post to worry about I could see was his involvement in heavy murder and manslaughter.

"Bacos pleaded guilty Friday to conspiracy and kidnapping in a plea deal that requires he testify for the government against his 2nd platoon, Kilo Company squad mates from Camp Pendleton's 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment.

Also, a famous composer seems to be involved

"Brahms added that Bacos' testimony is just one version of events"

Other than that, I can see only raves about Guy's music ability, which I always second. I think, as more you are exposing your work (and getting recognized for it) as more the people looking for a chance to beat on someone.

Or, as the platoon would say "the more the enemy, the more the glory"

Too old for Rock n Roll. Too young for 9th symphonies. Wagner Lover, IRCAM Alumni. Double Bass player starting in low Es. I am where noise is music.
  • last edited
    last edited

@Holgmeister said:

When I looked up google for "Guy Bacos" the only post to worry about I could see was his involvement in heavy murder and manslaughter.

"Bacos pleaded guilty Friday to conspiracy and kidnapping in a plea deal that requires he testify for the government against his 2nd platoon, Kilo Company squad mates from Camp Pendleton's 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment.

Also, a famous composer seems to be involved

"Brahms added that Bacos' testimony is just one version of events"

Other than that, I can see only raves about Guy's music ability, which I always second. I think, as more you are exposing your work (and getting recognized for it) as more the people looking for a chance to beat on someone.

Or, as the platoon would say "the more the enemy, the more the glory"

Well the gossip type of links in Google comes and goes, sometime for whatever reason they hang around your name for several weeks....

As far as the "involvement in heavy murder and manslaughter" this was not suppose to get out... See what Google does?

• hi, by the way is cembalo demo planned?

it is a new instrument of vsl yet, so i'm expectationfully to listen to the new sound [:D]