Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,083 users have contributed to 42,273 threads and 254,977 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 0 new thread(s), 3 new post(s) and 48 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@mpower88 said:

However, if you use Expose, the mac osx window organising system it's easy enough to put your mouse in the top left corner or press F9 to jump back to the VI window you just had open if you switched back to Logic.
    Miklos.

Hi Miklos,

When I am working with the VI's and logic screensets I always "loose" my open VI.

Example: I'm on screenset 1 in Logic - in my set-up - arrange window + transport on screen 1, enviroment and audio window + video (if applicable) on screen 2. I'm editing the VI and switching between Logic and VI. Now I want a quick peek at the score so I hit screenset 2 - my score layout windows. Have a look then hit screenset 1 to return to the arrange page. Unfortunately the open VI has closed itself so to restore you have to open the plug-in again.

do you know a work round that will stop the VI window closing when you move between screensets and back again?

thanks

Julian

• No unfortunately I don't - I think the window only stays open when you just click back and forward without changing screen sets.

It's a compromise you live with and of course everyone is hoping and waiting for this to eventually be resolved. The main point is that this is a host limitation, to which the VSL team could not presently find a work around better than what we have, because it is simply technically not possible, and this was the best compromise. However, considering it's pretty much a one of a kind first and best in it's class instrument (by far), again, it's a set back that is for me at least, a non-issue especially when you compare it with using EXS and all the glaring drawbacks of that system when used with a huge sample library for example. I have every confidence that as soon as this can be resolved it will be. We have to remember that the VSL team are users of VI as well! and I'm sure they'd just like all of us want to have it as efficient streamlined and reliable as any of the other users, so as soon as it can be done, I'm sure it will be.

I didn't mention before also VI has it's on on the fly sample compression for the 24bit files which means you don't really lose out on disk space or RAM for the extra bit depth (as far as I understand it anyway, though I'm not a technical experct on the inner workings of VI).

Miklos.

• Julian & Miklos,

This may not solve all the issues but since I use a MIDI controller (in my case a Mackie Control Universal) when I'm using the VI I can still use the transport controller section without having to go back and click on Logic to access it for transport purposes.

It doesn't help when I need to go back to access the Arrrange, Matrix or other windows per se. But I does help immeasurably since I'm usually going back and forth between the VI and the transport functions.

Now paying a wad for a Mackie might be overkill but if this method fits in with your workflow habits you should check this out, it's less than $199:

http://www.presonus.com/faderport.html

• last edited
    last edited

@mpower88 said:

The worst you have to do, which is actually one of the best features, is to optimise RAM - but if you use Cubase as I just found out you don't need to do that if you freeze the track - you can unload the instrument which free's up the RAM AND the cpu... very cool. If you use logic, the freeze function presently keeps the samples in ram, so when using Logic I optimise and then freeze but it's painless enough, and best of all you can just keep on loading instruments.

Just wanted to point out that if you turn the "instrument channel" to "off," Logic no longer keeps its samples in RAM. When you want to write with that instrument again, simply put it back on the correct channel and all your instruments will autoload (Note: I do not own VI, so I dont know if it works the same way, but every other plugin I've tried, Kontakt, atmosphere, EXS, does indeed work as expected).

Hope you find this information useful. I did, and frankly dont know how I got along without it!

• I've been reading through your posts with great interest as I'm currently considering upgrading my OPUS EXS to Vienna Special Edition, and though the new content is great, I am not 100% sold on upgrading (mainly because I'm a student and money is an issue) unless the VI player will dramatically improve my work flow.

Most of the "advantages" seem to stem from the ability to switch numerous articulations more easily. Will this advantage translate to Special Edition, given the fact that most instruments only have 4 articulations; sus, stac, Sforzato, and legato? My template currently use midi channel splitters to easily switch between articulations on a single track, so I already have my violins on one track, violas on one track, etc. So is the ability to load all my flute patches into on VI any different than what I'm currently doing? BTW, can you load, for example, flute and piccolo patches in the same VI for scoring parts that double?

Thank you in advance for your help and reply! As a student with an EXTREMELY tight budget, Its very difficult/frustrating not knowing if something is worth the money, especially when you are not allow to try it/return. Thus I truly appreciate user feedback! THANK YOU
    -Jon

• last edited
    last edited
    Hi Jon,

yes, layering and stacking is no problem in the VI (up to 3 patches in 1 cell, and you can "Cell Xfade" between the first two cells).

Please have a look at our Video Tutorials, the video is called "tacking and Layering Patches" [:)]

Best, Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Yeah, I saw that video a while ago, but didnt make the connection that you could layer different instruments into the same VI player (Piccolo & Flute). I guess you wouldn't really do this very often, as EQ and rev settings would effect BOTH instruments. There is no "multi channel" VI, correct?

• I'm going to be an iconoclast - but only after saying that the Vienna Instruments player is brilliant and that of course it's a huge advance over the EXS and Giga versions in every way.

However, it's nice to be able to get at the samples every once in a while, for example to time-stretch scale runs and transpose individual notes in Melodyne.

• Nick,

What stops you from doing those two things currently? Once you take the output from the VI & turn it into audio you should be free to do with it as you wish in Melodyne.

There are several ways to do that in Logic. I don't use DP but I imagine its pretty much the same process. If memory serves me those are your two sequencers.

• I just recently installed Appassionata Strings and Logic 7 on my new macbook. When I go to the mix window and go to an Audio Instrument Channel Strip, and click on input, my VSL is not an option. The only sounds I see are the Garage Band instruments. What do I need to do so that I can use Appassionata Strings in Logic?
    thanks
    Tony