Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

184,004 users have contributed to 42,334 threads and 255,218 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 4 new post(s) and 39 new user(s).

• HERB,

All I am asking is that you perform the same test I layed out....

specifiacally appregiating 3Leg patches at the same time.......The sounds stutter.

SvK

• HERB...

it would allow MORE

......i'm sending you an email

SvK

• Our stresstests are exactly testing this issues.

One polyphony test where the amount of streaming voices (sustains) is tested.
    And a second one where the amount of instances, each performing very fast simultaneous movement with performance legato instruments are tested.
    So when we say we can perform 24 instances without glitches, than 24 performance legati instruments are running at maximum speed.

best
    Herb

• HERB,

svonkampen computer:

Dual 2GHZ with 4 Gig RAM
    OS 10.4.6, Logic 7.2 (i/o buffer size 512....Process Buffer Range LARGE)
    RAM Usage is 2.95 GIG
    Metric Halo 2882 audio interface

I open 3 VI instances of Legato Strings.
    I drum my fingers (legato style) on the keys

The sound stutters and the CPU meter in Logic goes RED.

SvK

• My guess is that you've loaded too much into your "only" 4GB of RAM, SvK, and the plug-in went to virtual memory for the sample start buffers.

• Nick...RAM usage 2.9 Gig

• Exactly, 2.9GB and you only have 4GB installed. Please check the virtual memory setting as you load up Vienna Instruments - that will tell you whether my theory is correct.

• Where is this virtual memory setting?

We are talking about the new VIs not EXS24 Right? Virtual memory settings don't exist with VIs

SvK

• SVONKAMPEN,

1) Concerning the test with OS 10.4.6 and Logic 7.2, here are my results:

Processor: G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
    Ram: 4 GB
    OS 10.4.6
    Data storage: Firewire 800
    Host application: Logic 7.2
    Soundcard: RME HDSP

Latency at 512 Samples (12ms) / (2.46 GB Ram usage)
    Maximum Vienna Instrument instances: 23 (CPU load activity monitor 95%)
    Maximum Samples loaded: 24.095
    Maximum polyphony: 384 stereo voices

2) The RAM management in VI works differently from the EXS. Nevertheless the VI uses disk streaming technology like the EXS does.
    I explained this in detail in an email that I send to you before.
    However I would suggest to get more RAM in order to run 8 or more instances of the VI properly.

3) I can confirm that when playing 3 legato instruments (= 3 instances of VI) simultaneously I also encountered a problem (a few clicks), but the tracks played back perfectly after I recorded them. You will find my Logic file on my iDisk.
    I will look into this and keep you updated.

Best,

Maya

• Maya,

thanx for confirming the bug......yes, they do play back properely after they are recorded, but they need to play correctly while performing the part,

Thanx again [;)]

SvK

• SvK, I mean virtual memory as shown in Activity Monitor, i.e. the system is using the hard disk because it's run out of RAM. Not EXS virtual memory.

• Nick....

gotcha

Yeah....maya and I have been emailing back and forth....she's real nice and helpful. it is the way it is. Guess I'll hit-up IT for a couple more G5s.

Ummm....but as you can see from this post the "Live" playing on the MAC at least does stutter when selecting multiple instances to play at the same time...however it does play back ok.........

funny thing is.....I've been forced to write "minimalistic"....since the CPU craps out so soon now.........and I'm liking it....my cues are starting to breath [;)]

hahahaha

Instead of covering-up hastily programmed string-lines with Horn pads, I'm forced
    to expose the string-lines and do ultra-realistic programming.

I guess the glass is half-full after all.

SvK

• Thanx for takin this time to post your issues and tests, svonkampen.
    This is really appreciated.
    For the moment I'm using a Quad and haven't tested VI's limits.
    Also, I use Logic but I load my Vienna VI's in Rax (separate host than Logic), so as not to to have to reload all the samples every time I swap songs etc...

I read all this thread but rather quickly...

I would just like to point out that in some cases it may be your drives that might be touching their limits and giving you audio quircks. Upon 'live' playing, the system clearly has less flexibility to organise resources than upon 'sequenced playback'...

Also maybe Logic is the cause of your 'real time" quircks.
    In Logic, there is clearly a difference between real time playing and sequence playback !!!
    It would be interesting if you tested the VI in an external host and play the notes on a midi instrument in Logic connected vie iacbus to the VI host.. If you got the same problem on 'live' playing it would indicate that it is not Logic.

Also, bare in mind that OSX has the ability to re-organize resources to better achieve a task that it may have only partially achieved at a previous trial. Evan Evans wrote some very interesting thoughts on this last year...
    He told of how, at 3rd or fourth playback, some exs instruments were running fine while at first playback the audio was full of hiccups.
    I'm not saying it's totally connected to your problem, but it's worth knowing about it...

One last side issue worth knowing about (I donno if it has been corrected since Logic 7.2) is that in some cases, when Logic has hit a CPU limit, and has given you the alert message... You may find that it will repetitively give you that same message at 'given' point in the arrange, even though you've changed the arrangement and playback should run fine.
    Usually this happens at entry point of a sequence. Clearly this is a bug !!! Logic has no reason to give you the 'CPU maxed' message.
    There is one simple way to bring back Logic to normal : Nudge 1 or a few sequences (with start point at problematic position) back & forth a bar.

You might run into this problem if you're having CPU issues, so I thought this might be a useful tip.

Just a few thoughts...

Charl

• last edited
    last edited

@charl said:

I would just like to point out that in some cases it may be your drives that might be touching their limits and giving you audio quircks. Upon 'live' playing, the system clearly has less flexibility to organise resources than upon 'sequenced playback'...

In Logic, there is clearly a difference between real time playing and sequence playback !!!
    It would be interesting if you tested the VI in an external host and play the notes on a midi instrument in Logic connected vie iacbus to the VI host.. If you got the same problem on 'live' playing it would indicate that it is not Logic.

Also, bare in mind that OSX has the ability to re-organize resources to better achieve a task that it may have only partially achieved at a previous trial. Evan Evans wrote some very interesting thoughts on this last year...
    He told of how, at 3rd or fourth playback, some exs instruments were running fine while at first playback the audio was full of hiccups.
    I'm not saying it's totally connected to your problem, but it's worth knowing about it...

One last side issue worth knowing about (I donno if it has been corrected since Logic 7.2) is that in some cases, when Logic has hit a CPU limit, and has given you the alert message... You may find that it will repetitively give you that same message at 'given' point in the arrange, even though you've changed the arrangement and playback should run fine.
    Usually this happens at entry point of a sequence. Clearly this is a bug !!! Logic has no reason to give you the 'CPU maxed' message.
    There is one simple way to bring back Logic to normal : Nudge 1 or a few sequences (with start point at problematic position) back & forth a bar.

You might run into this problem if you're having CPU issues, so I thought this might be a useful tip.

Just a few thoughts...

Charl

Excellent Post.

This is a reality that, for me, goes on day after day.
    After entering a few tracks in a full orchestral arrangement, it takes logic 3 or 4 playbacks to 'straighten out'. As i use only a laptop, and push the limits constantly, this is something i'm used to. Freezing tracks helps, but if i'm writing a robust passage, then i will get meesage of of CPU overload, and as you rightly point out Charl, shifting the playback point a bar or two frees up the system again, the messages dissipate.
    It's interesting to note that Logic seems to 'learn' fairly quickly. Once a full passage is set, if i add a track, the activity monitor shows the previous audio load, plus an added percentage for the new track. When i playback the updated passage two or three times, the audio load reduces to just above the previous setting. (I should say this is with EXS. A clever tool, and i mourn the fact this sampler isn't sold in standalone format anymore. Apple would make a fortune if they did this, i'm sure.)
    Even on my little laptop (G4,867mhz,512mg ram, 5400rpm HD), i can, with care and patience, load upwards of 80 tracks of instrument articulations, playing back each new 'total' until the audio comes clean, then adding another track. It's not perfect, but the work gets done. I still have to freeze tracks occasionally, but in general my little rig get's to the end of some fairly hefty arrangements unscathed, after the compromises mentioned.
    I'm about to add an external HD (7200rpm), and i think this will reduce the instances of audio 'glitch' even further.

I think some of the discussion about the VI's and overloading symptoms stems from the assumption that live playback first time should be perfect, each and every time.
    Logic, and other programs too, don't do this even with a smaller library (Just my example and experience). I'm not sure how many work as i do, playing back a passage over and over again, fine tuning and modifying, but it's a routine that i use, that i virtually ignore the first one or two playbacks, until Logic learns what to play, and when.

Good post Charl, and a timely reminder that more than one cause is possible for a symptom.

Alex.

• last edited
    last edited

@hermitage59 said:

Freezing tracks helps, but if i'm writing a robust passage, then i will get meesage of of CPU overload, and as you rightly point out Charl, shifting the playback point a bar or two frees up the system again, the messages dissipate.
    Alex.

That's a slightly different thing you're mentioning here.. But it's solution number one in the list.
    If you're however continuously getting the overload message at a specific point and yet have no reason to... i'm actually suggesting to move the SEQUENCE(S) back and forth a bar... I usually do that with a shortcut. Curiously it seems to clarifie the 'corrupted' info that's deceiving Logic into believing it has too much to process at that point..

• chari,

Your insights into disk-streaming have made things clearer to me.....I did not realise that any disk-streaming was happening with VIs.....i thought the samples resided in RAM once loaded and that was that.....

Maybe you could help me just a little more, and tell me what the fastest "HardDrive" sytem is....and how to set it up for the best possible performance.

Thanx so much,

SvK

• last edited
    last edited

@charl said:

Charl

Chari audio cuts out from live-playing in other hosts such as Plogue as well (when selecting multiple VIs simultaneously)

SvK

• I don't now much about drives apart from this..
    - The more RPM 'rounds per minute' the better. Some drives are faster than others.
    - Keep in mind that some data paths are wider than others. Drives connected via firewire have a smaller bandwidth (I think) because of the firewire connection..