Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

189,119 users have contributed to 42,649 threads and 256,716 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 6 new thread(s), 16 new post(s) and 57 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

[...] The entry of the organ was awesome [[:|]] .

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Dave - [:)]

[*-)]: uh --- but what organ ...?

Great Gate 48 seconds - come on theres an Organ Pedal in there either that or you've got 24 double basses and 8 Contrabassoons and 4 contrabass tubas.

No?

• dave i LOVE your overture to the marriago of figaro. it's really great!!

• last edited
    last edited

@DaveTubaKing said:

Interestingly in the equally brilliant arrangement for large brass ensemble by Elgar Howarth the tune is played double forte by four horns (very epic).

I think the original piano score of Bydlo is actually marked forte (or fortissimo?) right from the beginning. It was Ravel who changed it to pianissimo. [:P]

Anyway, that was a very ambitious project, cheers to the VSL team! [[;)]]

Happy new year too,
    Frankie

• The old castle is my favorite so far.

I hope (as I know we repeatedly ask) that the MIDI files and other relevant files (gigastudio performaces) could be posted so those of us can get a leg-up in getting up the learning curve. I find that it takes me twice as long to program and mix than it does to write the music in the first place. Perhaps that will change with VI!

Nice job guys. Very impressed here in the Midlands of England.

• Dear Forum Members,

as a first on our Website, the complete mixes of the virtual "Pictures At An Exhibition" are available in 5.1 surround too!

Please cklick on this link -> http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/3920/4698.vsl (updated link)

... and download the new WMA (Windows Media Audio) files. This format will play discrete 5.1 surround sound with Windows Media Player 9. Please note that MS Windows XP with a properly installed surround sound system is mandatory, otherwise you will hear an automated stereo-downmix instead. Size-wise, the files are not much bigger than our usual mp3s.

Mac-users will have to visit their XP-based friends, for now. We'll work on a solution, if there's the demand for it.

You have to hear this to believe it [H] ... Enjoy!

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • Forgive me asking a stupid question [:O]ops: - but I don't have surround sound speakers and only a cheap hi-fi thru which my PC is routed - but if I listen to this thru headphones will I get the benefit of the surround sound? I have XP & WM9.

• I, along with many others, own a Mac: if (or when) you've decided to issue the surround mix for Mac will I (like DaveTubaKing) be able to take advantage? I only have Genelec 1029 speakers (2 of them).

• Dave & Jamriding --- the surround-mixes only make sense with a true 5.1 speaker-setup (i.e. 5 full-range speakers and a dedicated subwoofer). Don't bother downloading them otherwise, the stereo-mp3 versions will fit your needs perfectly.

Kind regards,

• Compliment to Christian Kardeis & Dietz Tinhof !!!

I compared I Promenade and IV The Old Castle with a recording made in 1994 with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. After a while i didn't knew which one is a real orchestra, sometimes i even liked the virtual one better.

Amazing.

Makes me feel that we made the right choice.

• I like the demos very much, but as i've written in a separate thread, the intonation is the main problem, which makes some passages sound not realistic, specially in Unisonos...

I think, it's an absolute must for further updates, that the VI-s have the opportunity of a centwise random detuning (like the EXS24 has).
    Its really amazing, how much more realistic a unisono passage sounds with a random detuning of +/- 10-15 Cents.
    (even if in reality the situation is probably more complex;some instruments play more exact some less)

Greets:
    HTF

• last edited
    last edited

@Happy Tree Friend said:

I like the demos very much, but as i've written in a separate thread, the intonation is the main problem, which makes some passages sound not realistic, specially in Unisonos...

I think, it's an absolute must for further updates, that the VI-s have the opportunity of a centwise random detuning (like the EXS24 has).
    Its really amazing, how much more realistic a unisono passage sounds with a random detuning of +/- 10-15 Cents.
    (even if in reality the situation is probably more complex;some instruments play more exact some less)

Greets:
    HTF

De-tuning option would be very nice to have.

Rob

• One quicky: in the Great Gate, about 1:40 in, string players play these downward runs with long full bows. Lots of weight, and the entire bow. More pronounced, even sounding somewhat accented. At about 1:52ish you cannot even hear the strings, only low brass. This is not quite accurate, and my only comment. Thanks.

• Dietz, are the 5.1 mixes still available? If so, could you post a working link? I can't seem to find them.

Thanks,
    Jay

• The link obviously became obsolete during some internal restructuring of the site ... I asked CM to look into this. Thanks for your interest, Jay.

• The whole "Pictures" will be available again soon on our "Projects"-Page. We'll keep you posted.

• Just in case you didn't see it yourself already: The 5.1 mixes are now available for download in our Demo-Zone, under Classical / *M* / *title*. You still have to have a WMA-compatible player, though.

-> http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/3920/4698.vsl

HTH,

• PaulP Paul moved this topic from Orchestration & Composition on