Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,314 users have contributed to 42,390 threads and 255,487 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 64 new user(s).

• Hi J.H., 

Because the license actually is not converted. VI Pro is now the free sample player for all VI Collections on iLok.

So you do not need a license for VI Pro, and it will not be converted.

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

That shouldn't be the case, transition should be automatic.
    Please check that VI Pro shows up in Logic's Plug-in Manager (maybe you need to validate it manually). 

If that's not the case: Can you please send us your project, so we can look into it? support@vsl.co.at

Best, 
    Paul

Hi,

The following VSL Plug-ins show up in Logic's Plug-In Manager.  All are successfully validated and checked. 

Vienna Ensemble version 6.5.0

Vienna Instruments version 5.0.0

Vienna Instruments Pro version 5.0.0

Vienna Synchron Pianos version 1.1.0

Vienna Synchron Player version 1.1.0

I reinstalled Vienna Instruments Pro and Vienna Instruments Pro for VI.  I opened another logic project I did with VSL Special Edition Vol. 1 and the transition was not automatic. 

• last edited
    last edited

@J.H. said:

So unless I'm missing something, Vienna Instruments is no longer useable once you make the transition to iLok. Can anyone else confirm? I don't remember reading anything from VSL about them not making VI compatible with iLok, but it's listed as such in "MyProducts."

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/Y1G8RjI

You're totally missing something!
    Your eLicenser protected products will keep on working just like before. 
    You just cannot run both eLicenser versions and iLok version side be side on the same computer. 

VI is not compatible with iLok because we added a free update to VI Pro for all VI users with iLok. 

Dig in to the extensive documentation to find out more!

Best, 
    Paul

So what happens with those projects left with the original Vienna Instruments player or partly converted to VI pro?  [Edit} if making this transition to this ilok thing?

• Hi, 

All projects that contain a VI instance are converted to VI Pro.
    Simple as that. 

As soon as you open an eLicenser protected song with VI instances in your iLok protected environment, those projects automagically work. 

Best, 
    Paul

• Ah....ok, thanks, Paul.

I'm not a technical person so I may have further questions. As things stand I can't accept all of ilok's T&Cs so I have to decide whether I accept them unwillingly or decline the conversion. This of course is my problem.

• Hi Firefrost, 

No problem. 

I'm not good in abbreviations or simply a bit tired ... what is T&C? Terms & Conditions? 

Best,
    Paul

• Yes. Terms and Conditions. 

(I edited my comment to make the phraseology more coherent!)

• last edited
    last edited

@Firefrost said:

Ah....ok, thanks, Paul.

I'm not a technical person so I may have further questions. As things stand I can't accept all of ilok's T&Cs so I have to decide whether I accept them unwillingly or decline the conversion. This of course is my problem.

I know I've said some of th is before but it bears repeating:

What are you going to do when Steinberg does away with the elicenser which is on their horizon? They've already said it will be going away. Sooner or later you're going to be faced with having to deal with iLok. There's a lot of developers who are using iLok for protection. I've never had a problem with the iLok system. Have 2 iLoks and each has their own ZDT yearly coverage. Cheapest insurance investment that can be made.

• I was very pleased reading about the move to iLok and bought the Synchron Steinway full library using the current offer on all products. Unfortunately I was very disappointed when it came to the iLok activation. I already have all Ivory II pianos as well as the VILabs Ravenscroft and True Keys Pianos activated in iLok. BUT these ALL offer the posibility to activate the licenses by binding it to the computer without the needs of a dongle or a permanent internet connection for a „cloud“ activation. Why is this not possiple with the Synchron Pianos?? I hate hardware dongles and I hate to be online with my Windows machine during recording sessions. Every once in a while Windows starts doing something in the background while online and this can ruin recordings! When will you enable the third iLok location alternative activating licenses directly to the computer beeing able to work offline without a dongle?

• last edited
    last edited

Hi stuenn,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see you disappointed.

Machine-based licensing simply doesn't offer enough protection. There's nothing else to it.

With a highly demanding production process like ours, we simply cannot afford to be hacked.

I see that you have purchased in our webshop, so feel free to return your license within 14 days.

We hate to see you go, but it would be even worse to see you so unhappy and upset.

Best,
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Firefrost said:

Ah....ok, thanks, Paul.

I know I've said some of th is before but it bears repeating:

What are you going to do when Steinberg does away with the elicenser which is on their horizon? They've already said it will be going away. Sooner or later you're going to be faced with having to deal with iLok. There's a lot of developers who are using iLok for protection. I've never had a problem with the iLok system. Have 2 iLoks and each has their own ZDT yearly coverage. Cheapest insurance investment that can be made.

Thank you musicman691 and I sincerely appreciate what you say.  It's less about a license key itself than what will be quite a palaver making the changeover. I think the price of the ilok is an outright rip off for what it is but that's beside the point.

Paul thankfully cleared up the issue about projects that still have the old Vienna Instruments (basic) player embedded. But I understand that I'll have to download all the audio samples again which will take forever and a day.

Like it or not, VSL doesn't always go into detail about doing something so I have to make assumptions, as happened when I first joined this throng so it scares me that some mistake of mine or a step missed in the instructions is going to foul things up. So once I start I'll have to be clear of any deadlines for about a month, just in case...

The insurance is fine. Very wordy but I get it that I'm covered for a lost or failed key. 

I may just have to grit my teeth about the T&C but if I can't, hope for a couple more years out of the eLicenser then "resign", which I'd have to do anyway if I foul up the transition. 

Again, many thanks. 

• When I open the Vienna Assistant and click on Installed, it says I have NO VIENNA PRODUCTS installed on this computer! I have dozens of them!

?????

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Alan,

The Vienna Assistant shows all iLok protected products that have been downloaded with the app.

This is how to make the switch to iLok, it is necessary to download your sample content once again.

More information right here, with FAQs, videos and manuals!

Best,
    Paul

• Thanks!

• Hello, I own the Steinway D-274 Full Library and the Standard Boesendorfer 280VC. I just switched to the iLok licenses & updated the player & samples. I'm having two major issues.

1. While all the microphone positions of the Full Library sound, I am not able to access them and it says that they are not included in my license. Again, I can hear them playing, the volume levels show, and they are blanked out and the player behaves as if I only have the Standard Library.

2. I am not able to access any of my presets suddenly.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the software three times according to the instructions. I've included screenshots of the set up. Please advise.

• last edited
    last edited

@Yela said:

Hello, I own the Steinway D-274 Full Library and the Standard Boesendorfer 280VC. I just switched to the iLok licenses & updated the player & samples. I'm having two major issues.

1. While all the microphone positions of the Full Library sound, I am not able to access them and it says that they are not included in my license. Again, I can hear them playing, the volume levels show, and they are blanked out and the player behaves as if I only have the Standard Library.

2. I am not able to access any of my presets suddenly.

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the software three times according to the instructions. I've included screenshots of the set up. Please advise.

And yes, I do have the licenses properly loaded up in iLok.

• Hi:

Congratulations on the move VSL - this looks like a complex process, which you've clearly put a lot of thought into. Of course there are going to be edge cases - but I have faith that you're doing your best by your customers!

I have a few questions that I can't find the answers to in the extensive documentation ;-)

1. I'm currently setting up an additional system to work alongside my existing systems, and have just ordered some additional VI licenses (through Best Service) for this. Will I be able to license these onto eLicenser, so as to maintain compatibility with my existing systems?
    2. If not, what are the implications for upgrading only one system to iLok? Can I seamlessly exchange projects between an iLok-enabled system and an eLicenser-enabled system?
    3. If not, what are the minimum system requirements for iLok-enabled systems? I'm running on macOS 10.14 Mojave at present;
    4. I used Vienna Ensemble 6 (NOT Pro) - is this transitioned to iLok, or is it discontinued with the Pro version of 6?

Thanks!

• I have now spent days trying to make this transition from eLicenser to iLok, and it still doesn't work. I've watched every video...read endless posts, etc.

I've downloaded my libraries...I have the latest software...all my iLok licenses are on my iLok dongle...Vienna Assistant shows all libraries as 'Installed'.

I open Synchron Player in a new empty Logic session....meaning nothing there that could possibly be impacting the Synchron Player...and there is no content...not a single library.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is it fixable?

This transition was not ready. So frustrating.

• Why not test it first with the standalone player?

Dorico, Notion, Sibelius, StudioOne, Cubase, Staffpad VE Pro, Synchon, VI, Kontakt Win11 x64, 64GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, August Forster 190
  • Thanks for the reply and suggestion Bill, but I did try that...same scenario. No content.