Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,481 users have contributed to 42,300 threads and 255,084 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 1 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

Oh well, I've wasted enough time on this forum today. Over and out.

Thank you for taking the time to engage more on this topic.

God Bless,

David

F308, D-274, 280VC, Bösendorfer Imperial, Vienna Imperial
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi,

Thanks for posting. We had to make a few decisions for the latest update (Velocity Curve Editor, Smooth Attack, Half Pedal Editor and more) a month ago, and unfortunately we didn't find the time to integrate a useful "silent key" option. It is still on the list.

Regarding Sympathetic Resonance: There are more advanced algorithms we could apply, at a pretty high cost of CPU power. Maybe there will be a better solution available at some point.

I'm sorry that we have not fulfilled all wishes in one go, and I understand that you are upset. I will keep on pushing.

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

Hi Paul,

With all due respect, but this is just more of the same.

@Another User said:

Maybe there will be a better solution available at some point.

Maybe? At some point? Who would make a better solution available?

Sorry Paul, I don't mean to be an a**, but I am a little frustrated. Moreover, I saw you guys released the new 280VC, I got curious and checked the price, and then I remembered this thread and came here to see if anything got done in the last 2-3 years.

As a result all I can say is that ... maybe ... at some point ... someone will find a better way to convince me that paying €445 for a VST piano which has the exact same limitations as the other 5 I foolishly purchased from VSL might be a good idea.

Danke fuers Zuhoehren.

• An "offline" HQ resonance feature would be a dream come true.  There'd be a new round of complaining about optimisation but if the sound justifies the inconvenience you won't hear a peep out of me.

• Hi,

Sorry about the frustration. I get the point. 

You're asking, and I am answering, honest and friendly.

Best, 
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • Hi Paul,

Without knowing or caring about how VSL is internally structured, I do assume your best intentions, while realizing that your hands may be tied regarding certain matters or decisions. A friendly interaction with your customers is always welcome and appreciated, and sometimes it may be all that's needed. 

For such a simple request as the silent key though, just being friendly stops being enough after 3 years. Whatever the reasons are, these are no longer relevant when the implementation of such a feature can be written, compiled, tested, packaged into a new installer and uploaded on the server during literally one lunch break. 3 years and counting for the implementation of such a simple feature would not be understandable even for a product that costs €10 and I hope you agree that this is a little hard to swallow.

Regarding the -- let me put on my soft gloves and merely call it "sub-optimal" -- sympathetic resonance, this is a little different, since this is not a new feature request, but a fix request. There is a widget on that UI which reads "Sympathetic". As long as it's on that interface, it becomes one of the features that customers have paid for, a feature they've learnt to take for granted in the last decade because most, if not all other VST pianos have implemented it substantially better than VSL. After 3 years of waiting, a customer is not interested in hearing about how difficult such a feature implementation is, especially since your products are priced much higher than the ones that have implemented this feature successfully. Not even having an ETA after all this time makes matters worse.

What's even sadder is the fact that there are other issues that bug me even more than these two, in all 5 VSL pianos that I own, and you made it pretty clear to me in previous posts that these won't get addressed either. It's a pity, really. The potential for something amazing was definitely there, these could have been THE vst pianos, period. Instead they are merely good but overpriced pianos with a few issues, and the fact that they are packed to the brim with velocity layers does not change that. That's just my opinion.

I hope that you'll find at least tiny bits of my critique useful and I sincerely wish you and VSL a world of success.

• Hi Paul,

I totally agree with the people expressing dismay regarding the sympathetic feature. It only does a little bit up to about six and then it turns to mud. Nothing like the sound of actually having the pedal depressed when a note is played.

I have a very simple solution that should use no CPU and would make me at least extremely happy. The sound with the pedal down is definitely superior. Put in an option to use the pedal down samples instead of the pedal up samples (when the pedal is up). I actually did this with the 10-year-old Imperial by means of sample robot and then the Kontakt 4 sampler. Unfortunately the process degraded the sound.

I hope VSL will take this suggestion very seriously because it would truly make these superior pianos (I have both the Bösendorfer Imperial and the Steinway).

Best, Phil

• last edited
    last edited

Hello again Paul,

I will add that I've done extensive analysis of my piano sound versus numerous recordings at YouTube and it's clear that when both are using no pedal, mine is superior. When both are using the pedal, mine is superior. But when the recordings are using the pedal and mine is not the recordings are superior.

One main difference with virtual pianos is to get the full pedal resonance you have to have the pedal down before the note is struck. With a real piano, if you depress the pedal immediately after striking a note you will still get most of the resonance. I've checked this on my piano. But not with the virtual piano. And it's extremely difficult if not impossible to have the pedal down before the note without catching the previous note — unless you want an audible gap in sound. I've spent many hours working on this and analyzing all of this. Plus the pedal down samples would give a delightful sound to all notes that are played.

If desired, you could give the option of having the pedal down samples for every microphone position individually, in case some people wanted to mitigate the effect. But it should definitely be available for all the microphones.

I am currently just redoing the recordings I made years ago using your earlier Bösendorfer Imperial and the midi clips I made then, with your Steinway. Thanks, Phil

• I would very much appreciate a response, Paul. And if you don't intend to do this please tell me why. It seems like it would be a very simple thing to do and would make many people happy. Theoretically everyone.

If you absolutely won't do it I will have to figure out a way to do it myself. But it will be extremely time consuming, and if I have to do it I want to get started on it now.

I guess I'm dumb but it took me a long time to realize why sometimes my mix sounded better than other recordings and other times it sounded worse. I guess it's because I assumed the sympathetic was doing what you said it would. My solution this would definitely make it a superior piano.

Best, Phil

• I just wanted to put in another vote for improved sympathetic resonance, silent key, and improved una corda (ideally samples, but a better algorithmic una corda, perhaps with adjustability, would also be great). I'd probably put una corda first on that list--and would even pay for an upgrade that included true una corda samples.

• I'm certain they won't do una corda since they have to re-record the entire pianos and it would effectively double the size of the download. Frankly I don't even like it on my Baldwin 5'8" grand because when the dampers come down they make a little bit of a twang because not all the strings are vibrating equally. It was that way when it was new. But the sustain resonances would be very simple for them to do.

I've been doing the sustain resonances myself using the sampler Kontakt. If anyone else wants to know how, let me know. It's a bit of work.

• last edited
    last edited

@Phil2 said:

I'm certain they won't do una corda since they have to re-record the entire pianos and it would effectively double the size of the download. Frankly I don't even like it on my Baldwin 5'8" grand because when the dampers come down they make a little bit of a twang because not all the strings are vibrating equally. It was that way when it was new. But the sustain resonances would be very simple for them to do.

I've been doing the sustain resonances myself using the sampler Kontakt. If anyone else wants to know how, let me know. It's a bit of work.

I agree true una corda samples are unlikely--but a better una corda model should be doable--and as I think someone else on this forum mentioned could be adjustable (maybe even including felt or moderator options as as alternatives to una corda effect).

Nevertheless, I think una corda samples should be considered, at least for a limited set of pianos and/or mics. The Steinway perhaps has a large enough market to support una corda as a paid upgrade or even separate alternative instrument. The 280VC might be another good candidate, on the assumption Stage B makes scheduling a new recording session easier.

• Hi all.

I want to add another voice to the call for proper sympathetic modelling. Its quite startling to me that:

• a product at this price point does such a terrible job of it
    • the pianos sound as good as they do without it.

I had to laugh (and agree) with one of the previous comments that referred to it as a “mud slider”. I simply can’t find any level/gain which creates a pleasing enhancement to the sound of the piano.

What’s baffling to me (and I assume and honest mistake???) is that the online manual correctly describes the way you should be able to generate/hear sympathetic resonance, and I quote “You can hear this effect when you hold down a key without sounding it and then briefly hit another key”. https://www.vsl.info/en/manuals/synchron-pianos/play-view

As all of you know, it simply does not work in the way it should (and as described in the manual). Also, as others have already pointed out, products at much lower price points (like Ravenscroft and a think Garritan) do a great job this and to great musical effect.

@VSL. You have some truly great piano libraries (at least to my ear) with the Synchron series and your 14 day returns policy is such a welcome thing for this industry but, please add proper sympathetic modelling (and silent key for that matter). This would turn your already good product into the only piano VST anyone would ever need.

• Embertone Walker 1955 1.1 update already make it come true.  

• I have to agree with you completely in all aspects. I completely agree with you. I am also a programmer and what you say is just so. It doesn't take 10 minutes to solve the problem. It is simply incomprehensible why it is not possible to spend 10 minutes on this problem in 3 years. Also the problem with symphathek resonance is very unsatisfactory. After all, you have also paid for this function. This is not ok.

• Yes, I also think that it is about time that these two important problems are solved. Please write all your frustration here, if you have the same problem. It's no use if you just read it, agree, but don't write anything about it. It only happens something if there are enough frustrated buyers and then just buy other products. Sorry for my English, I am not good at it.

• I would like to vote for silent key and sympathetic resonance as well. It is actually quite shameful for a premier product like VSL to ignore rather standard industry features like sympathetic resonance and silent keys. All my other piano players are able to do it.

• I also support and request this feature. Many other VSTIs correctly implement those. From a developer perspective silent keys shouldn't be that difficult to implement (except for UI/config/etc.), since we could ignore generating sound for notes when it is below a threshold keydown velocity.

Sympathetic resonance would be more challenging one, but it's noteworthy there has been a lot of criticism in the community about the poor sympathetic resonance. Having those features will make VSL synchron pianos even greater.

• I believe these issues have been highlighted to VSL a long time ago. Unfortunately, it did not get the attention it deserves. I believe that sympathetic resonance and silent keys are necessary features to create a realistic playing experience, but VSL has ignored it because users assume that the features are there (since they are basic), and only realize that they are missing after making the purchase and playing with it for a couple of days. I speak from experience. VSL is ignoring it because it does not hit their bottom line. However, I think it will hit sales once people get to know about it. I, for one, would not have made my purchase if I knew of the missing features. VSL is of the view that they should spend their resources sampling new pianos because it looks nice in their annual marketing drive. The way to change this is to make this lack of essential features known across all VST forums. I believe very few serious pianists will bother with VSL if they know that silent keys and sympathetic resonance are missing in synchron. Once it hits their sales numbers, VSL will be forced to put it in their development roadmap. Let’s start a campaign to disseminate this information? I am sure we can conquer this.

• hi,

I use the Steinway-D trial.

The sound is incredible -> the best Sampled Steinway around the world.

But i don't understand why there is a "Sympathetic Resonance" setting in Synchron Piano player :

-> this feature doesn't work. even if i set it to 0 dB -> no rules between undampered keys.

I love this Steinway, and the soluce to add silence Key and Sympathetic resonance is here :

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3230130/steinway-vsl-d-274-pianoteq-to-add-sympathetic-resonance.html#Post3230130

to VSL : just add a Silent Key

and a Switch / option 1 or 2 :

1) Sympathetic resonance with sustain samples only : ok actually when you press pedal down (but if you release up whil key is still down, is still sustain samples that is used)

(already work this way in VSL without Pedal up-> down or down->up transitions) : CPU safe solution

2) Sympathetic Resonance between keys / pedal up / down with DSP engine for close mic(s) only

(like Garritan CFX soluce) : more CPU)

I love this Steinway, but please make a real Sympathetic Resonance DSP engine

Regards,

Olivier F.