Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,925 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,950 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 53 new user(s).

• Has someone already said 'Yay!"? Ok, I’ll do it for you!

Bravo Dietz!

Paolo

• last edited
    last edited

Dietz, you are awesome 😊 - thanks so much!

• Thanks so much dietz, im SOO excited! :)

(Currently working on a big show due in 2 days, kinda got lost and forgot, sorry haha)

Greets,

• Very good news. Thanks a lot, Eduardo

• My hint: the Synchron MIR/x presets will not come alone. They will come with an upgrade to the MIR technology, allowing for multi-mic simulation going beyond the current two sets. Making MIR more aligned with the Synchron set of audio channels.

Paolo

• :-D .... sounds like a great idea, Paolo, but that's not how MIR works. Sorry to rain on your parade ... 

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

😄 .... sounds like a great idea, Paolo, but that's not how MIR works.

Hi Dietz, I had this suspect because you already added a second mic set, that I think is derived from one of the various positions from where you sampled the room. But maybe the process is a different one.

In case it is a different sampling position, some of the rooms have more than two, so I wonder if they can be used as simulated channels. Or maybe there are phase issues.

A test I couldn't yet do is to first render the direct signal, the closest room mics, and a more distant mic set (simulating a Mid position). Then, a second pass would exclude the direct signal, and include two sets of mics positioned far from the source (to simulate a panoramic stereo pair and the surround pair).

Probably, it will only end into some sort of sonic molasses 😊

Paolo

• Dear Paolo, the main issue is: The whole concept of MIR relies on Ambisonics. It gives us the possibility to define many acoustic parameters after the actual recording took place, and - equally important! - we can interpolate seamlessly between discrete source positions.

An Ambisonics recording is typically based on a so-called "coincident" multi-microphone array. We used indeed up to four of these arrays to capture the Venues represented by MIR - which is why we can add the Secondary Microphone, but that's for the wet signal component only: The goal is to increase the perceived spatial enveloping without sacrificing any of the positioning cues of the Main Mic. And yes, it's a great source for decorrelated rear mics in a surround mix, too!

The typical Synchron recordings use a completely different approach, based on wide-spaced single microphone capsules. They are referred to as "Decca tree", supported by Omni-outriggers and AURO top-layer mics. In short: A very different approach than a coincident recording. ... there have been lengthy discussions amongst Tonmeisters during the last 70 years (or so) which approach is "better", so I won't go into the details here. ;-) 

Although I went to any length in my quest to match the sound of the Synchron Instruments' setup for VSL's "Synchronized" Vienna Instruments and now for MIR/MIRx, it has to be said quite clearly that there won't (and can't) be a MIR engine as we know it that will be able to fully recreate a spaced microphone setup as described above.

• Thank you Dietz. Ouch, so it's all still in the same "stream", even if they appear as separate sets.

I'm perfectly fine with the "EMI" mic style, and I think that it blends reasonably well with the "Decca" style of the Synchron series.

Paolo

• Really looking forward to the mirx settings. And that's some setup there in those images!

• The image itself is a great help. I would have frankly never imagined that it was a good idea to move strings so near to the mics. But it works great. Examples from the masters are always a great guidance.

Paolo

• I have been doing that for many years.  The biggest thing is to let your ears tell you it's ok, not how it looks on the stage.  I have done some of the stupid shit you can imagine with this tool.  People would probably laugh and say I am an idiot but oh well!  As long as they don't see how it looks, and it sounds great I really gave up caring how it looked on the stage years ago!

• I know, I know. Any news for the MIRx download? Would be a nice Christmas gift. :)

• We hear you! ;-)

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

We hear you! 😉

Thank you so much! i didn't realize initially what the update was about, so as usual I just come to the forum and find the answer 😉

But adding a change-log update will also help other users to get the point, I guess. 😉

And now I will have fun experimenting and comparing my set-ups to yours (usually always very good, so I'm really excited by this time saving and quality improving feature, that was my best source for learning as well).

• Thank you, Dietz, for this great addition to MIR! You'll save from a lot of mixing mistakes from now on! :)

Paolo

• Awesome! Thanks, Dietz and team!

• last edited
    last edited

@Pixelpoet1985 said:

Awesome! Thanks, Dietz and team!

😄 ... You're welcome! 

(... in a first impetus I was tempted to answer "My pleasure!" - but than I realised that I should stay honest. I'm _very_ happy that this highly exhausting task is finally done, really. 8-) ...)

• Thanks Vsl, thanks Dietz!

• YESSSS finally! I can integrate it all! :D