Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,941 users have contributed to 42,266 threads and 254,953 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 9 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• No that won't work, master tune can only go down to 420 hz

• So, I looked it up... 

For me it works with the MIDI FX Plugin, the pitchwheel is constantly up or down without automation.

1) In VI (Pro) assign pitch to the pitchwheel with the standard curve.

2) In Logic use the Modifier plugin and set velocity as input event (mode is set to thru, of course).

3) Re-assign to either pitchbend up or down.

4) I set scale to 100 % and the add-value all the way up to 126.

• Yea I'd probably do it with Scripter myself, but good point.  That should work.  Here's one more vote, however, for this capability being added directly to ViPro and Synchron players.

Very strange.  Interestingly enough, if this approach is used, then the pitchbend fader inside ViPro sticks at the bottom it doesn't spring back to zero like it does when you move the slider from within the GUI.

I don't think this GUI slider should be springing back to zero, but I guess for more typical pitch bend operations that might be kind of expected, I don't know

• last edited
    last edited

That approach is working fine though, thanks for the idea.  Here's the scripter script I'm using in case anyone wants that:

@Another User said:

var pb = new PitchBend;

pb.value = -8192;

function HandleMIDI(event) {

if(event instanceof NoteOn) {

pb.channel = event.channel;

pb.send();

}

event.send();

}

Sonically I am liking the results and by detuning each player slightly (above and beyond the humanization), it spreads it out a bit more.

One more question about ViPro humanization.  It sppears to use a round robin approach to cycle through each fo the humanization tunings one at a time.  This is fine, but is it possible to some how save each player preset in a state so that each of the 8 (or 16 ) players will be starting from a different point in the round robin series?  I don't want all 8 or 16 players to be playing the same humanization detune, etc...  Is there any way to randomize that or somehow ensure that at all times the various players will each be using different steps of the round robin series?

• I think the video tutorial on "Humanization" or "Performance Repetitions" shows you specifically how to turn off instances in the round robin order but basically you'll see a row of I think red dots above the humanization section of the Advanced view in VI PRO. Just click on the red dots to turn them off. So, for what I think you want to do, make a matrix with a Performance Repetition patch loaded. Then load the same perf. Rep. Patch in another slot, then another and so on. Then, go back to each patch and turn off whichever repetitions you want to turn off. Finally just randomly keyswitch between the patches. You could also adjust the time when the reps activate. Paul, if you're eavesdropping on our conversation could you please give him a link to that video. Do you know the one I'm talking about? Sorry I'm writing this on my phone.

• I don't really want to turn them off.

If I have 8 tracks feeding 8 instances of ViPro, each one hosting one of the 8 dimension string player.  I want to make sure the humanization is happening for all 8 players, but that at any given moment they aren't all playing the same humanization cell.  And ideally all 8 are rotating through the series of humanization cells also.

• Why do you want to do this? 

For each (dimension) player there are different humanization settings, they never start with the same tuning. 

Or are you talking about the transposed players (2nd violins)? 

This can be tedious with the dimension series, I know it. The suggestion from jasensmith is good, but it's only possible to turn them off with repetitions, not with the humanization pattern, isn't it? If it's possible, I would turn off the first, third, etc. cells. You don't need 12 variations.

I would recommend to use either another preset (slow, fast) or just different values for the humanization/tuning/delay slider. 

I watched the VI Pro video again: Maybe the threshold value could accomplish this?

• No I am not talking about second violins. I am talking about 8 first violins, each one is unisoned with the transpose trick, 16 total players. It should be obvious why I am doing this?

• So, we're talking about the same thing. With second violins I mean the tranposed ones.

I can only repeat my previous suggestions. Or you have to make presets on your own.

• I dont understand your suggestion at this point. Thanks though.

• I'll give it another try. 

As I said: This can be tedious with the dimension series. I'm doing the following to the transposed players, with good results:

1. Use another preset (slow or fast). Or use a preset with more delay (md). Or, if you have the time, change tuning curves on your own.
    2. Use an increased tuning and delay value (humanization).*

* As I don't know how you handle humanization, I list my values:

• Humanization: always 127
    • Tuning: up to 40 for the normal players, up to 80 for the transposed ones
    • Delay: up to 20 for the normal players, up to 60 for the tranposed ones

Hope this helps!