Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,292 users have contributed to 42,289 threads and 255,038 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 13 new post(s) and 51 new user(s).

• That makes sense. I know nothing about programming, but a great feature would be to turn close mics on and off on each instrument with CC. And some more questions I’m afraid (I hope this thread can be useful for others who are interested in Mir Pro, and if I buy it I want be sure it’s right direction for me. 1. I see that there are no presets in Miracle for the Pernegg Klosterkiche, is that right? I still don't know how to use Miracle though. I have some instruments in Mir Pro, in the Pernegg at the moment. Then I have instruments outside of Mir, from Spitfire. I have positioned the instruments and used Spitfire's mic settings so that they match quite well. But I want to glue all this together with an algorithmic reverb. Is this where using Miracle would be useful? At the moment I'm just using my favorite preset in Lexicon Randomhalll. That works quite well! 2. I guess when I use a VSL instrument in Mir Pro, each instrument’s profile contain eq information? So that a flute loses it’s lower frequencies further back in the room, while a bass drum actually get more lower frequencies back in the room. But it I use a flute or bass drum from another library this changes won’t happen because it’s impossible for Mir Pro to know the instrument. Which means I need to EQ these instruments so that their eq profile gets different in various positions in the room? Or, can I use the 8dio oboe and use the VSL oboe’s profile to get a similar result? 3. When using instruments from other companies, would you recommend using just their close mics before MIr? I won’t use wet Spitfire libraries in Mir though as their just too wet.

• last edited
    last edited

@Another User said:

3. When using instruments from other companies, would you recommend using just their close mics before MIr?

This is highly recommendable, yes. In case of ensembles I would also try to get rid of any "burnt-in" panning information (by means of an stereo imaging processing device like Vienna Suite's PowerPan or Waves' S1) before feeding the signal into MIR.

Kind regards,

/Dietz - Vienna Symphonic Library
  • last edited
    last edited

@McArnes said:

[...] a great feature would be to turn close mics on and off on each instrument with CC.

Another nice solution will be to add individual mics for the solos 

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • last edited
    last edited

@McArnes said:

[...] a great feature would be to turn close mics on and off on each instrument with CC.

Yes, that was kind of what I meant but you wrote it better 😊

• last edited
    last edited

@McArnes said:

Yes, that was kind of what I meant but you wrote it better 😊

That's not what MIR is about. 😊

MIR "thinks" like an audio engineer in a recording venue: There's a main microphone array, maybe a secondary one for additional spatiousness and eveloping, and there are perfectly aligned spot mics (i.e. the positioned "dry" signal component). All instruments are meant to sit in different positions, but in the same acoustic space. You can easily bring up the volume of one of them, reduce its dry/wet ratio, or (in case you want to achieve a solo-concert like impression) use a dedicated Icon in front of the Main Microphone. - For a pop-mix like, completely seperated solo instrument, simply don't put it into MIR. 😉

• last edited
    last edited

@Dietz said:

in case you want to achieve a solo-concert like impression) use a dedicated Icon in front of the Main Microphone. - For a pop-mix like, completely seperated solo instrument, simply don't put it into MIR. 😉

These are good idea.

Thanks

Cyril

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • I think I'm starting to get a good knowledge of what Mir can do now, thanks to you and the manual, of course, Dietz. Not saying I know how to use it in detail though.

I have a limit with Logic, as I can only have 255 separate instrument tracks. But as my 500+ multi-timbral template consists of a lot of Spitfire instruments, I think I'm able to create enough tracks to have each one in Mir Pro. 

• Your screen shot of the 400 Instrument configuration loooks amazing., I am curious as to what kind of mega computer can run this setup without encountering cpu issues? 

I'm using a MacPro 2013 2.7GHZ 12 core Xeon E5 w/ 128GB memory and in process of building my template. I am using Mir Pro as a plug in on each Vienna Instrument channel and am at about 36 instruments in my orchestra and already having major clicks and pops. Even with a larger buffer size I can see the lots of core spikes. How can I optimize my system to handle a bigger orchestra template? Suggestions would be very welcome, Rich 

• :-D ... this template includes _all_ Vienna Instruments for MIRx preset creation. It was never meant to be used with all instruments playing at the same time. But as long as Vienna Instruments are set to open without any samples loaded, this setup won't make any recent machine sweat (... provided there's enough RAM for all the pre-rendered IRs, of course).

By today's measures, my MIR development DAW is a below-average i7 based machine from late 2012 with 32 GB RAM. I did stress-tests with about 190 instruments playing inside MIR Pro in stereo setups without drop-outs, and about 90 in a 5.1 setup (using Windows 7 64-bit as OS). Latency was set to very high values for both the RME audio system as well as MIR itself. Modern machine will outplay these results easily, I assume.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Dietz! I'm messing around with a similar setup, images like this are always helpful. Would you be willing to share your prefered microphone settings for the setup seen in the screenshot. And perhaps more screenshots of instrument placements if you are feeling generous😉

Kind regards

Betuel

@Another User said:

11. If run in VEP and I have 40 instances, will all instruments still be seen in ththe stage map, or only if used in a daw as a plugin?

• last edited
    last edited

@Betuel said:

Hi Dietz! I'm messing around with a similar setup, images like this are always helpful. Would you be willing to share your prefered microphone settings for the setup seen in the screenshot. And perhaps more screenshots of instrument placements if you are feeling generous😉

Kind regards

Betuel

Hi Betuel,

sorry for the slightly delayed reply, but I didn't find the time to gather the data you're asking for during the week. Here comes the MIR Pro Engine Settings file of the unfinished (i.e. broken) MIRx setup of Synchron Stage Vienna. The more detailed screenshots will follow!

Kind regards,

SSV_MIRxSettings_unfinished.zip-1696259149888-g8cja.zip

• Suggested positions for strings and harps:

• Woodwinds

• Historical Winds

• Brass and horns

• Drums, percussion, mallets, glass instruments, keyboards

• Solo voices, choirs, plucked instruments

• General purpose

• ... hope this helps! :-)

• last edited
    last edited

Wow, thank you so much! It sure does. I love MIR so much and how different settings can really change the sound. Thanks again for taking the time.

Warm regards

Betuel

@Dietz said:

... hope this helps! 😊