Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,924 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,950 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 7 new post(s) and 54 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Daniele, 

I understand your frustration, and I'm sorry if my comment came across wrong: You are posting in a public forum with very few Reaper users, I just wanted to explain the silence. 

I will do my best to push a solution to your troubles. 

Best,
    Paul

I understand Paul, I hope you could fix this, for me and the other Reaper users out there.

Anyway I did another try and I found out that the problem is about the Event Input plugin, if I route midi channels to VEP main plugin track there's no such problem, I think this and other bugs are all correlated to how Event Input behaves (both VST and VST3 version).

I could also use MIDI ports but I prefer Event Input one because:

1) With MIDI tracks I have only 16 channels per instance;

2) With MIDI tracks I don't see parameters to automate like with the Event Input plugin.

Hope this helps!

EDIT if I use the VST version of Event Input I hear the first note randomly but I never hear it after the first play loop. The cursor keep looping but I doesn't hear anything. If I use the VST3 I don't hear the first note on the first play but I can hear it in each subsequent loop.

• Ok, maybe I found how to reproduce the behavior, version 7.0.834

If I put more than one main plugin (vst since VST3 is still too slow) and link some event inputs to them then I have random behaviors.

Sometimes I hear the sounds from all of the instruments and sometimes not, if I use only one instance with some Event Inputs it seems to work fine.

It is like some conflict between plugins...

• Hi Daniele, 

Thanks, that's good information. Why doesn't VST3 work in Reaper??

The Event Input plug-in is really only a workaround for hosts that didn't offer VST (which are very few), I doubt that the VST version is used by many users (which is why this bug has gone unnoticed, I assume. 

Please send me such a Reaper song to check: support@vsl.co.at

Best,
    Paul

Paul Kopf Product Manager VSL
  • last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi Daniele, 

Thanks, that's good information. Why doesn't VST3 work in Reaper??

The Event Input plug-in is really only a workaround for hosts that didn't offer VST (which are very few), I doubt that the VST version is used by many users (which is why this bug has gone unnoticed, I assume. 

Please send me such a Reaper song to check: support@vsl.co.at

Best,
    Paul

I have many VST3 plugin and they are all working in Reaper.

The main plugin (VST3 version, the VST one works instantly) is very slow on loading, it freezes Reaper for some seconds every time I load it in a track. Moreover every time I open the FX window Reaper freezes for sometime and then I could work on the plugin interface. This happens every time and this behavior was confirmed by another Reaper user on VI Control forum, so it is not only on my PC.

To replicate this it is enough to open a new project in Reaper, load a new instrument on a new track, select VEP7 main plugin VST3 and look what happens.

I'm not at home right now so I can't send you another template file but I already sent one at support@vsl.co.at

I don't know if it is a matter of track number or what it is exactly because it behaves very random, sometimes I hear the notes and sometimes not.

Yesterday I tried to put offline all the tracks except for one with main plugin and one with an event input connected to it and the first note worked, if I put online the other tracks (other VEP main plugins connected to other instances) and try to play more tracks at the same time some of them works and some other not.

About the Event Plugin I'm building my template like this (look at what I already sent you via support ):

Inside VEP:

Instance1

1. Track: kontakt instance (1 for instrument), Port - 1 Midi - All Output 1/2
    2. Track: kontakt instance (1 for instrument), Port - 2 Midi - All Output 3/4
    3. And so on....

Instance2

1. Track: kontakt instance (1 for instrument), Port - 1 Midi - All Output 1/2
    2. Track: kontakt instance (1 for instrument), Port - 2 Midi - All Output 3/4
    3. And so on....

Inside REAPER:

Track with main plugin VST connected to instance1

1. Track: Event Input VST3 on port 1, assigned to instance1 receive input 1/2 from main and send to master (or a semi master or a bus)
    2. Track: Event Input VST3 on port 2, assigned to instance1 receive input 3/4 from main and send to master (or a semi master or a bus)
    3. And so on....

Track with main plugin VST connected to instance2

1. Track: Event Input VST3 on port 1, assigned to instance2 receive input 1/2 from main and send to master (or a semi master or a bus)
    2. Track: Event Input VST3 on port 2, assigned to instance2 receive input 3/4 from main and send to master (or a semi master or a bus)
    3. And so on....

By doing like this I could use 32 ports on VEP and 64 audio channels (due to 64 audio channels limit in Reaper) and I see the parameter list on every track (for automations) with their names (last update add this 7.0.834).

If I route MIDI channels to main plugin I should stay always on port 1 and I could use only 16 tracks per instance (due to the 16 channels MIDI limit). Moreover I can't see automation parameters to automate them in Reaper.

There some connection conflict or some latency problem with the Event Input plugin that can't communicate correctly with VEP in some circumstances or configurations.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't see other ways to do this, let me know if I am clear or you need more.

I'll send you the updated template this evening after work (it is the same of the old one I sent you but I replaced more instruments with event plugin and added some main plugin tracks, I'm replacing the old one). In the meantime try to work on what I sent you and what I said you. I think you could find the problem more easily now.

Thank you.

• I have another question in the meantime: if I would to roll back to a previous version of VEP should I only run the setup of the version I want to roll back to, am I right?

• Hi, 

Thanks for the report. 

To roll back, uninstall VE Pro 7, then install the version you'd like to install. 

Best,
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

Thanks for the report. 

To roll back, uninstall VE Pro 7, then install the version you'd like to install. 

Best,
    Paul

Thank you, I'll send you the template in a few hours.

With VEP6 can I load the template I built with VEP7?

• last edited
    last edited

@DANIELE-ES said:

That's not possible. 

Best,
    Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@DANIELE-ES said:

That's not possible. 

Best,
    Paul

Well, then I think I have to wait, it is a huge amount of work.

Maybe I could try if I have the same bugs with older version.

• VEP template and Reaper template sent via support mail, Case 298575, the same I already opened for the other issues still not solved.

Thank you.

• Hi, 

Quick update for everyone following the discussion. We are in contact with our colleagues at Reaper and hope that we can help improving the VST3 performance on their side. 

Best,
    Paul

• https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/52638/How To Get VE Pro7 To Route Properly With REAPER Set Up More Than 16 MIDI Channels Per Instance/285538

• https://forum.vsl.co.at/topic/52638/How To Get VE Pro7 To Route Properly With REAPER Set Up More Than 16 MIDI Channels Per Instance/285538

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul said:

Hi, 

Quick update for everyone following the discussion. We are in contact with our colleagues at Reaper and hope that we can help improving the VST3 performance on their side. 

Best,
    Paul

Another update, the problem with VST3i main plugin seems solved in the latest beta releases of Reaper. The fix anyway will not be in the next official release because some things related to it still need to be tested.

So we should see the fix in a release after the next one.

• Ok, I tried the new version of Reaper (v 5.979) and now VST3 seems to works correctly, no more hangs or slowness.

Unfortunately I must say that I don't see a way to use VEP7 efficiently in my template/workflow because:

1 - Event Plugin is buggy and I can't use it, some note plays and some other not;

2 - VST3 midi routing is buggy too on Reaper, if I try to route midi and audio on the same track by activating "Feedback Routing". I cannot use two tracks for every instrument in my template (one for MIDI and one for Audio), it would be too messy, a huge workflow worsening.

So...well...this software is great but I really have no more arrows for my bow.

• Ok, I found out that with feedback routing enabled if I send tracks to another track and not directly to the mixer, one of the tracks doesn't sound and doesn't send midi signal to VEP7. With feedback routing disabled everything works, but obviously you don't hear any sound.

• last edited
    last edited

@DANIELE-ES said:

Ok, I found out that with feedback routing enabled if I send tracks to another track and not directly to the mixer, one of the tracks doesn't sound and doesn't send midi signal to VEP7. With feedback routing disabled everything works, but obviously you don't hear any sound.

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is that feedback routing is not working when the individual tracks are routed to BOTH the VEP plugin track AND other tracks (reverb buses, submixes, etc.)

I created a test project where I routed three tracks' MIDI output to a submix track, then routed everything from the submix track to the VEP instance track.  Then, I routed the audio from the VEP instance track back to the three individual tracks using the feedback routing procedure.  Finally, I routed the audio output of those individual tracks to both the master track AND a reverb bus (which then routed to the master as well).  Everything worked fine - I tried muting different things, freezing tracks, etc.  No problems.

I've attached screenshots of the exact settings, ports, sends etc. that I used to create this set-up.  Hopefully this can help you sort out whatever's bugging out on you.  I do apologize if I've misunderstood your set-up in any way.

Overall Project Layout

Routing for Track 1: VEP Instance

Routing for Track 2: SUB-MASTER

Routing for Track 3: MIDI 1

Routing for Track 4: MIDI 2

Routing for Track 5: MIDI 3

Routing for Track 6: VERB BUS

Peace,

- Sam

• last edited
    last edited

@DANIELE-ES said:

Ok, I found out that with feedback routing enabled if I send tracks to another track and not directly to the mixer, one of the tracks doesn't sound and doesn't send midi signal to VEP7. With feedback routing disabled everything works, but obviously you don't hear any sound.

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're saying is that feedback routing is not working when the individual tracks are routed to BOTH the VEP plugin track AND other tracks (reverb buses, submixes, etc.)

I created a test project where I routed three tracks' MIDI output to a submix track, then routed everything from the submix track to the VEP instance track.  Then, I routed the audio from the VEP instance track back to the three individual tracks using the feedback routing procedure.  Finally, I routed the audio output of those individual tracks to both the master track AND a reverb bus (which then routed to the master as well).  Everything worked fine - I tried muting different things, freezing tracks, etc.  No problems.

I've attached screenshots of the exact settings, ports, sends etc. that I used to create this set-up.  Hopefully this can help you sort out whatever's bugging out on you.  I do apologize if I've misunderstood your set-up in any way.

Overall Project Layout

Routing for Track 1: VEP Instance

Routing for Track 2: SUB-MASTER

Routing for Track 3: MIDI 1

Routing for Track 4: MIDI 2

Routing for Track 5: MIDI 3

Routing for Track 6: VERB BUS

Peace,

- Sam

This is not a VEP fault, it has the behavior I talked about with every multitimbral plugin, VSTi and VST3i. This is also confirmed by another user on the Reaper forum and I already warned developers about it.

Look at this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222308

The routing you did it is a bit more complicated than mine I think and from what I understand it is not exactly what I did.

I routed MIDI from single tracks to VEP track, then I routed audio from VEP to single tracks using feedback routing, in the end I routed the audio from single tracks to a bus track and if you'll do the same you will experience the same issue.

The BUS in my template are meant for mixing purposes so they should group instrument sections to control them at once, you are routing midi to BUS, I'm routing audio. My tracks doesn't route directly to master...

The strange thing is that is a matter of track position in the TCP, if I put the BUS track after the VEP main track everything works fine, if I put BUS track before it I have this issue.

Look at the thread to better understand what I mean.