Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,119 users have contributed to 42,275 threads and 254,983 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 38 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

+1

Expression Maps for Logic could be very useful starting points (like VSL's matrices and patches).

Please support for Audio Unit 3 (AU3) as soon as possible too!

Claude

@RLD said:

VSL did a set of Expression Maps for Cubase, so it will be nice they do the same for Logic

Thanks in advance Andy

• last edited
    last edited

@RLD said:

Yes I know I have advise the comunity at the release of 10.4.1 but it was needing Environnement development

There is no need for programming the Environment. Just send a Note/Keyswitch, and its Velocity value. In Vienna Instruments/Pro, select KeySwitch for the X-axis, KeySwitch Velocity for the Y-axis.

Note --> KeySwitch
    Note Velocity --> KeySwitch Velocity

Paolo

• last edited
    last edited

@PaoloT said:

There is no need for programming the Environment. Just send a Note/Keyswitch, and its Velocity value. In Vienna Instruments/Pro, select KeySwitch for the X-axis, KeySwitch Velocity for the Y-axis.

Note --> KeySwitch
    Note Velocity --> KeySwitch Velocity

Paolo

Paolo :

In this case you must modify all the Preset made by VSL

With 10.4.2 you dont need

It's funny how people wanted to post for saying thing that are poluating a thread !

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Cyril, modifying presets is not forbidden, and is also easy to do in VI. Customization is strongly recommended by the developers themselves.

In any case, I would appreciate if you refrained from finding other member's posts "funny", just because they don't match your view.

Paolo

• last edited
    last edited

@PaoloT said:

Cyril, modifying presets is not forbidden, and is also easy to do in VI. Customization is strongly recommended by the developers themselves.

In any case, I would appreciate if you refrained from finding other member's posts "funny", just because they don't match your view.

Paolo

It is not a good idea to modify preset because if VSL is updating or improving them you are .....

I did not undrestand your intervention on this thread !

Everybody was shouting when in 10.4.1 you could not send two or three commands to change articulation

10.4.2 is the best solution for articulation switching !

All previous solutions where DIY

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Dear Vienna Users,

There must be a way to avoid quarrelling in our discussions. For this forum to remain useful and enjoyable, I think it would be necessary to avoid giving too much importance to the simple expression of a judgment (I like / do not like) about a functionality or a tool. It seems to me that we should share our experiences and solving concrete problems. In addition, we should avoid showing our superiority when our interlocutor seems less experienced.

That being said, let say a few words about my own limited experience with custom matrices and articulations. For about 8 years, I've tended to create my own matrices (often by modifying VSL matrices or presets). I preferred one CC to another. I preferred to standardize the use of key switches while Vienna changed them according to the instruments (C0 vs C9, etc.). As my library of VSL instruments grew, so did the work of customization. At this time, the release of Dimension strings was a real challenge! For about two years now, I've been using more readable articulation changes that use scripts (Logic's scripter tool). That's when I realized that it would be better now (more "economical", if you want) to keep (when it is possible) the original matrices of Vienna. I am in the process of modifying my setups in this way. 

The release of Logic 10.4.1 had, first of all, brought me good news. Like many, I was disappointed with some limitations when dealing with articulations. (I took advantage of the ingenious workaround proposed by other users of this forum and I say thank you folks!) The recent update of Logic (10.4.2) is really welcome. I must evaluate now if the approach based on notes/events is more advantageous for me (my uses, my experience, my background, etc.) than that based on scripts/region/tracks.

Once again, I do not pretend that I have the best solution or that I have the truth. The important thing is the exchange of ideas and the sharing of experience.

[And excuse my very bad English!]

Best,

Claude

• Salut Claude

I will speak in English so everybody understand (my English is bad too)

I have started make the articulations for  10.4.2 yesterday, it is very easy if you can use prepared tables from other solutions (before I was conveerting program changes to articulation change) where you have all the notes and event under your elbow.

It will be very helpfull to have the Copy/Paste ;)

I have made the strings Violon, Viola and Cello for Solo, Orchestral and Chamber

I use articulation of Matrices levell II  (about 35 articulation per instrument)

I will finish with  the Double Bass before the end of the week

I have attached an image of the exel file I used

You will see that most of the articulation are the same for  Violon, Viola and Cello 

Why dont we split the work ?

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Cyril,

This is a very good suggestion. Alas, I have very little time this week. Moreover, as I was expecting, I have not decided yet whether I will use the Logic articulations or the scripts (AG) on which I have spent a lot of time in recent months. Before making a definitive choice, I have to see if my current system will respond well (no hanging note, etc.).

Thank you again for your nice proposal. I hope we will have the opportunity to share some work later.

@Cyril Blanc said:

Why dont we split the work ?

• Hi Everyone

I didnt know if you had seen these guys https://www.babylonwaves.com/logic-pro/

There articulation plugin they developed has just been updated to include VSL libraries and after the short time ive had playing with it its excellent and may be just what your looking for

i hope this helps

Kindest 

Pul

• last edited
    last edited

@Pieman1560 said:

Hi Everyone

I didnt know if you had seen these guys https://www.babylonwaves.com/logic-pro/

There articulation plugin they developed has just been updated to include VSL libraries and after the short time ive had playing with it its excellent and may be just what your looking for

i hope this helps

Kindest 

Pul

Hi Pul,

This looks great, do they support all the instruments of the Cube ? Dimension and Syncron Libraries ?

What articulation sign can be seen in the score ?

Can you post screen shots ?

Best

Cyril

• Hi Cyril

Currently the selection of available libraries for VSL is small, and as i only have Special Edition 1 and 1Plus I cannot test the other available libraries for you. However, the developer seems to have covered every articulation for the strings in SE1 (admittedly i have only really looked at the Orchestral strings, not the Solo ones)

i think they have started with the smaller libraries, as working on Dimension Strings for example must be a much larger job!

Dont be put of by that though, as ive used this plugin before, and it updates ALOT with new features and considering that Logic Pro has only just updated to 10.4.2 (and you'll need this version installed for the plugin to work with VSL) they have included the Cube, SE1-4 and the brand new Syncron Orchestra already! i emailed there support to ask if they planned to include VSL when Logic updated to 10.4 and they said they would include all there libraries as soon as the software allowed, so its only a matter of time i think before everything is done.

I have no idea how they manage it, as it must be a huge challenge!

As far as Score mark up is concerened (and to me this was a BIG issue) its not great if im honest. Basic articulations are marked up (staccato for example) but not much else. Ive included a screen shot of the score mark up on a test piece, and you'll notice the notes in 'Green' have no articulations marked, but the software playes them as Detache.

Now (for me at least) its not such an issue as i write all my music in Sibelius anyway as the work VSL have done with the sound sets is lovely and everything just works for me as i need it to, but now if i import the midi into Logic its a breeze to select the articulations i need and to tweek the playback to my hearts content!

I think its a perfect compromise really, and one thats only going to get better with time!

Kindest Regards

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Pieman1560 said:

Hi Cyril

Currently the selection of available libraries for VSL is small, and as i only have Special Edition 1 and 1Plus I cannot test the other available libraries for you.

Hello Paul

Thank you very much for your answer

Is it possible that you do a screen copy of articulation availlable for the solo violin and the trumpet ?

Do they provide the VE/VI  ?

Best

Cyril

• Hi Cyril

I've done a short video showing how it works (with Orchestral SE1 Strings)

The playings not great, so Mozart has nothing to worry about but you'll see how it works mate

if i have more time i'll see how it works in Ensamble (not Ensamble Pro as i dont have it!....yet!)

have a good one mate

Paul

Edit....ive tried to upload the video as a .mov but its not working mate, so i'll try and get it working and upload it ASAP

• Hi Cyril

I cant seem to upload videos showing how it works, but it does work in Ensamble too!

ive sent you a PM mate

Kindest regards

Paul

• Hi Everyone

I've done a video of how it works and will post a link to youtube once its uploaded

Have a good one

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Everyone

As promised attached are links to the videos

This shows the software working

This shows it working in Ensamble

I hope this helps

Kindest

Paul

• Hello

I have bought  https://www.babylonwaves.com/logic-pro/

Just looking at the Solo Violin I have remark that the Up and Down bow articulation where missing.

I have contact Marc, the develloper, and I kindly ask him if he could add Up and Dow bow

The answer was NO, he said it was too much to add UP and Down Bow on each articulation !!!!

Then I ask him only to add on the levell II patch :

Stroke Up and Stroke down

And to kindly refund me if he does not want to do it

His answer is :

>>>>No refund

>>>>Feel free to add whatever you want, there is no reason why you cannot extend the articulation sets yourself. 

it's a kindly f...up

Looking at the contents send with the Violin I have found strange articulation sending ; in Violin Levell II he is sending 3 articulations !! I have never seen this before, I have to check this when I return to the studio

If you think you will have acces to all articulations of an instrument, you can dream, BabylonWare only allow you 32  articulations for the Solo Violin Levell II

So if I was you I will wait to buy this BabylonWave. I will do extensive test mid November

A company that does not want to make it's software evolve does not need to exist

I have also found that the keyboard articulations are not provided, and only the Tympany is provided for percussions

I hope the VSL is going to give us a good Expression Mapping for Logic.

• Hi Cyril

I can't help think that your being a bit harsh really, given the functionaltity it gives users of Logic now (the 1st time its been updated for VSL).

I've used this for a while with other software libraries and they add more features all the time. Considering this version was released the same week Logic updated to 10.4.2 i think they've done a brilliant job in offering what they do so soon after a major update and its only a matter of time before it gets better

Kindest regards

Paul

• last edited
    last edited

@Pieman1560 said:

i think they've done a brilliant job in offering what they do so soon after a major update and its only a matter of time before it gets better

I have also been very surprised of there non professionnal answer

Let's wait and see

Maybe Marc is going to be more resonnable 

I forgot also to mention that there are no Dimension libs supported neither VSO

• Articilation sets are designed to select an articulation. If you want add an information such as Bow Up or Bow Down, you practically double the amount of artulations. Here's why:

"Spiccato" becomes "Spiccato Up Bow" and a second articulation "Spiccato Down Bow". And that would happen for staccato, detache and all other applicable articulations. The articulation list for Vienna Instruments is already faily substantial and once you keep in mind that there are key switches for each articulation it becomes clear that adding Up/Down bowing is not a really good idea. I have tried to explain that to you in my first reply - in a friendly way.

What you really want is 2 articulations which are just there to show the relevant symbol is score and that's something which might work for you but is fairly confusing for the most of us. Those articulations would select no articulation and if you, for instance, have one of those at the beginning of a sequence of note, Logic would simply not know what articulation to switch to. Again, this might work for you but I personally think it's a bad idea in the context of what the most of us do.

"I just ask you to add an articulation for every Level II string two articulations : Up Bow and down bow, I will deal with them in my score. If you dont want to do it I want a refund !"

If you would have looked at my website, you'd learned that there is no refund. And also, that Dimension Strings are not supported. IF you would have asked me in a nicer fashion, instead of backmailing me, I would have refunded your purchase.

Best, Marc