Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,632 users have contributed to 42,399 threads and 255,547 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 11 new post(s) and 47 new user(s).

• Hello, Do you have any ideas when you will launch the new synchron strings 1 product. I ordered since around one month and I have no news, except your last Email where you said that it would be launch end of november ... Unfortunatly we will be in decembrer tomorrow ... Thank you for your understanding Best regards

• last edited
    last edited

@Casiquire said:

Wow, all the overreaction in this thread.  If you're that upset by it, return it.  Get a refund.  Move on.  And maybe this will be a good moment of learning about what early birds and early releases really mean in the world of tech.  They're a risky gamble.  Now you know, and you can be better informed in the future.

I will rather not buy this until I can hear more of it.

How many times do you buy new jeans that you couldn't see or try yet, just heard they are going to be great? 

Relax a little, it's not good for your heart to get so upset by other's posts 😊

• DEMOS ARE UP!!!

I am of course messing with everyone. The tension is unfortunately still very high with impatience and boiling brains. Perhaps Synchron actually is a cure for cancer. I'd believe it. We can all choose to encourage instead of insult. Rudeness is a cycle only broken by choosing to be better to others even (and especially) if they choose to be worse in return. Otherwise, who among us "would not be the sufferer"? Please forgive the sermon. Maybe we can all act like adults and talk about Synchron instead.

Speaking of samples... What I'm most interested in so far.

• Long Notes - Lyrical. Yes, yes, and yes.
    • Regular, slurred, and fast legato - More yesness.
    • Releases damped & ringing - Wanted this for years in a string library. Very excited!
    • 80 wonderful variations per key.
    • Short notes? It's not Staccato & Spiccato now. Is it adaptive or something?

I hope the video demonstrates the short note versitility as I'm rarely content with short notes in any library out there. Kontakt's TS-Pro algorithm is the closest I've come to being satisfied and I'm not really that satisfied with it. So any examples would be appreciated.

-Sean

• Well, it looks like it's happening to everyone. East West's Hollywood Choirs is also delayed.

• Yes. This seems to become a "Release-head to head - race" between EW & VSL with two complete different products :D

• "Until now there are no realistic string libraries on the market, they all sound like a synth. So I will rather not buy this until I can hear if it's better than the others to simulate a string orchestra. " - Mcarnes

Is that a joke?  

• I do not often post here, however II thought I would add my two cents worth. The company VSL has provided me with the best samples out there and fantastic customer service since its inception way back when. The fact that they even offer an early bird option is a reflection of their attitude towards their user base.. How on earth is it possible in this day and age to be upset about a delay of a few weeks concerning a really big release and a new direction for VSL. I am in fact simply plain excited and looking forward to the happy day when this library arrives. 

Take your time VSL and know that there are many users who are simply in awe of the incredible high standard you set concerning sample generated orchestral sounds.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Until now there are no realistic string libraries on the market, they all sound like a synth. So I will rather not buy this until I can hear if it's better than the others to simulate a string orchestra. " - Mcarnes
    Is that a joke?

Show me one library that sounds like a real string orchestra? I certainly hope this one will.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Until now there are no realistic string libraries on the market, they all sound like a synth. So I will rather not buy this until I can hear if it's better than the others to simulate a string orchestra. " - Mcarnes Is that a joke?
    No, show me one library that sounds like a real string orchestra? I certainly hope this one will.

Each string library has positive/negative aspects, but it seems that you are looking for the real thing.

This will never happen because it is simply impossible.You can get close to it, but you can't expect a perfect simulation from any sampling company.And as a performer I have to say that I am glad about this fact.

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

"Until now there are no realistic string libraries on the market, they all sound like a synth. So I will rather not buy this until I can hear if it's better than the others to simulate a string orchestra. " - Mcarnes Is that a joke?
    No, show me one library that sounds like a real string orchestra? I certainly hope this one will.

Each string library has positive/negative aspects, but it seems that you are looking for the real thing.

This will never happen because it is simply impossible.You can get close to it, but you can't expect a perfect simulation from any sampling company.And as a performer I have to say that I am glad about this fact.

Well, I'm sure most companies are aiming for the real sound, if not they wouldn't put so much work in this. But of course, it is very difficult when it comes to strings, next after choirs I guess. That's why I'm excited to see some demos soon.

• Me too!

• last edited
    last edited

@christof said:

it seems that you are looking for the real thing.

Well, I'm sure most companies are aiming for the real sound, if not they wouldn't put so much work in this.

Imho in discussions like that arguing with the "real" thing seems to be a more or less esoteric matter:

Do you really want "the real thing" so be ready for all its "real" shortcomings. In reality there are very much orchestras only very few of them do really sound as excellent and brilliant as we do expect it from the predominance of recordings made by the most oustanding Orchestras. (Not to mention how tedious it is to realise with a more or less average orchestra conseqently what your musical imagination might inspire.

On the other hand samplelibraries are part of our current reality, it seem to me a bit unrealistic to dispute them their reality. However their individual problems and potentials might be.

Having said that I am not interested in arguments based on any more or less idealistic understandig of what ever some one believe he must demand the "reality" should be. What I am looking for are "good" samples, what means samples which allow me in the most convincing way to realise musical ideas. I am quite optimisitic that the VSL-Experience is a pretty good fundament to create musical reasonable and versatile samplelibraries. For me they already belong to the by far most convincig with what they have done. And if they need the time to keep their high quality standard, I am happy that they do nothing in any premature way, this is what I do expect most.

• last edited
    last edited

@McArnes said:

Until now there are no realistic string libraries on the market, they all sound like a synth.

Nonsense, there are already a bunch of them that do not sound synthy if you know how to write for them and program them. This will no doubt be one more.

• last edited
    last edited

:No, show me one library that sounds like a real string orchestra? I certainly hope this one will." - Mcarnes

That is total bullshit. To say that Appassionata Strings and Dimension Strings - let alone Chamber or Orchestral - sound like a "synth" is outrageously false and utterly ignorant of the actual sound of real strings. I am an orchestral player as well as composer with 35 years experience playing in live orchestras and ensembles and am blown away by the realism and beauty of the VSL strings. If you can't make such great sounding libraries sound good YOU are incompetent and blaming the library for your own lack of ability. Listen to any of the string demos here - you are saying those sound like a "synth"? What are your qualifications for trashing the VSL strings in this way? Who are you and what have you done musically to make such sweeping dismissive statements?

William Kersten

www.williamkersten.com

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

I am an orchestral player as well as composer with 35 years experience playing in live orchestras and ensembles and am blown away by the realism and beauty of the VSL strings.  If you can't make such great sounding libraries sound good YOU are incompetent and blaming the library for your own lack of ability. 

Well, after listened to the music on your website now I'm curious what kind of live orchestras and ensembles you are playing with...

• I played in the Reno Philharmonic as a contract player, the Reno Chamber Orchestra, the Nevada Opera Orchestra, the Nevada FEsitval Ballet Orchestra, the UNR Symphony, various chamber ensembles for specific concerts, as well as ensembles not including strings such as concert bands, symphonic band, brass choir, brass quintet and many different college groups  However I am now focusing specifically on sample musicwhich is what is featured on my website.

• I want to hear from  "Mcarnes"  who said VSL strings sound like a "Synth."  

Who are you?  What do you do?  Where is your music? I want to hear it since you are discerning enough to decide that all VSL strings sound like a "Synth."  I never thought that, from the First Edition til right now.  And yet you dismiss the entire library that way.  So I need to ask you to clarify things by posting a link to your music.

• “Synth” was the wrong word to use of course, I’m sorry. What I meant was synthetic, and it’s not so much about the sound per se but the expression, to hear even if it's a large ensemble, that there are different musicians playing different violins etc, and to feel more that the bow is touching the string, and is moving. Just to be clear, I think no one is as close to realism than VSL’s Strings, and I hope that Synchron Strings will make it possible to get even closer especially when it comes to performance expression. There’s a huge difference from VSL and synths so I admit it was a silly comment by me. I’m just starting out myself but I’d be happy to share some music in the future, hopefully with Synchron Strings.

• Hi, has anything been posted about divisi options for Synchron strings? With 16 V1s (which easily sounds like 32, I guess, when crossfading between dynamic layers?), I'm a little concerned about everthing sounding too large for my personal taste.

Also, where can I read about the difference between Synchron Strings I and the planned SS II? Not that I need to know what comes with SSII as such, but I'd like to know more about what's not included with SS I, especially if I should go for the early bird offer. I have gone for similar offers ealrier (not from VSL), and been surprised about things I took for granted in any string library that was missing (and missing for a long time). Not trying to be negative here, by the way: Synchron Strings looks promising; very promising actually, especially if there will be an easy way to disable some of the dynamic layers and have the remaining ones spread over the whole CC value range. Having to always have 80 variations loaded per key could easily cause problems on my aging Mac Pro.