Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

185,232 users have contributed to 42,388 threads and 255,459 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 5 new thread(s), 19 new post(s) and 42 new user(s).

• last edited
    last edited

@William said:

btw this person jsg says the only thing I do is "mouth off" -  no, I do other things including:

VSL music

VSL Chivalry

William Kersten

Production music

to name a few.  I will not be insulted like this on this Forum and demand an apology.  I am not accepting this kind of treatment from people who have no qualification to dismiss me in this way.  

I have nothing to apologize for so in spite of your demand for one you won't get it from me.  It was YOU who said you are mouthing off on the forum, here are your words:

( btw  unlike Errikos I always try to find time to mouth off here on the VSL Forum - as long as the libations hold out.    

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul McGraw said:

mh-7635,

Why not post under your real name? I believe using ones real name on the internet fosters a more congenial environment for all.

Who do I rate? By that I think you mean who do I admire and spend time listening to their music? The fields of choral music, especially religious choral music, and symphonic band music, have many composers of note. The way this usually works is I name a few, then the proponent of atonality trashes them, thinking they have thus won some kind of point. However, I will play along and we will see what happens.

Among choral composers Eric Whitacre has had enormous success. Among symphonic band composers Phillip Sparke is well worth a listen. Most of the best orchestral writers have gravitated towards film music. There are many of these in the past, Korngold, Herman and Miklos Rozsa immediately come to mind. Living today we have a clear connection with concert music in the Lord of the Rings Symphony by Howard Shore. 

But no need to look further than right here at the VSL forum. Guy Bacos and William Kersten create marvelous, well crafted orchestral music. 

My statement that atonality is old is not a misleading, false, or deceptive argument. It is simply a fact, and was stated as a fact backed up by factual evidence. Calling a fact an opinion, even calling it specious, does not advance the discussion. I do not have a time limit for aesthetic movements. What made you think that? Tonality dates back to the dawn of human history. The greek philosophers of antiquity wrote about the various modes. 

What do I propose for young composers? I would tell them to write what is in their heart. I would tell them that if they want a large audience they need to utilize the tonal language of music. I would tell them not to worry about being "original" or "finding their own voice" or "speaking to our time." If they master their craft, then if they have something original to say it will come out of them naturally.

Yes, institutions have probably ruined many potentially fine composers. Thankfully that seems to be changing. I do not agree that anyone needs to "make themselves relevant." How do we judge what is or is not relevant to our current society? Isn't Eric Witacre relevant? If not, why not? 

Well Paul to address your post in order - my signature tells everyone who I am but your continuing adjectives tend to rule out congeniality.  BTW I suggest you do not click on my site as there are some pieces there that will not be to your taste, but you and everyone else are welcome to call me whatever you like, I only ask that you keep it civil if you want reasoned debate.

From what you write, I can't seem to escape the conclusion that you seem to think atonality and tonality do not mix whether it be musically or regarding someones creative preferences. I believe you are wrong on these points , firstly because I am not going to 'trash' your preferences and instead agree with you about the composers you have mentioned - although it is duly noted that the best you can come up with in a thread instigated by an appreciation of Salonen is Howard Shore who is of course a great film composer, but some here might consider his ouvre to be a little off-topic when considering the highest aspirational realms of our practice, if only because film scorings  raison d'etre imposes a utility on self-expression, which is in the main absent in the concert world. (I do not want to digress too much here, but accept that there is a good argument against this that suggests that the desire for self expression in film scoring can be quenched in practice, but as this thread is not about film scoring I shall leave it there). 

Secondly, your assumption that the 2 technical practices (tonal -atonal) are mutually exclusive is completely fallacious because one is surely an all-encompassing extension of the other and when used competently gives the composer a wide expressive arc - all that is needed are adventurous ears and a willingness to search.

Your assertion that atonality is old and therefore not a way forward is a subjective conclusion based on your antipathy and is not factual nor predicated on the reality of current practice. The fact is that atonality and tonality exist side by side in todays zeitgeist and can even be combined very successfully. You really are missing out on wonderful music Paul, music that has extended levels of functioning harmonic practice that is not proscriptive in a dodecaphonic sense. This makes me wonder if your definition of atonality is the same as mine and many of the great composers of shall we say the last 60 years, but if you haven't listened to any of their music, how are you to know and even insult their work convincingly.

For once I agree fully with the paragraph starting with your propositions for young composers. Some will venture into atonality and find a seductive world of possibilities.

www.mikehewer.com
  • OK Jerry + William and who else is talking on the edge of any "insult" against anyone here or anywhere else please in respect to the dignity of the very interesting and serious subject of this Thread it seems to me time to come back to Beethoven 9th:

"O Freunde, nicht diese Tรถne! sondern laรŸt uns angenehmere anstimmen, und freudenvollere."

Please stay true friends in music: straight, clear and honest in the matter, but not in anyway personal since I fear that will not answer at all the question which started this thread.

• last edited
    last edited

Some days ago, I've tried to give my point of view, but Ive been reading all the posts so far. I must say that I'm not very pleased with the tone of them. Some are quite practical, intellectual... some are rather rude to even brutal. It migt be true that only friends can speak their minds freely to one another, but an insult remains an insult, no matter how you look at it.

My second point was, that this section of our forum has been hijacked for a long topic that actually doesn't belong here, however interesting. Maybe for that purpose a new section should be opened like "Personal views on the direction of future music". This sections should deal with Composition - Orchestration - Instruments. One could of course argument that the direction of composition fits in here, but that's more a cultural or historical consideration with aesthetic aspects (and taste).

I don't want to interfere any further, but to throw another aspect in the discussion, I would want to post a little piece here that says it all in a nutshell. It is not (as we say in Flanders) a stone in the frog's puddle (disturbance), but only a minor and rather funny example without wanting to prove any right or wrong.

Jean-Fรฉry Rebel (what's in a name...) wrote "Les Elรฉments" in 1737. The first element is called "Le Chaos" .

Le Chaos makes a leap of 200 years towards atonality (Wikipedia). It wasn't received warmly as you can imagine. But Fรฉry was a clever man. He used this bit of atonality only functionally in the context of the creation of order in the universe as a huge contrast. Not just a series of meaningless dissonants without any direction. But still, it was a daring enterprise at that time of strictly regulated harmonic sequences.

Jos

• last edited
    last edited

Great baroque clustermusic ! (meanwhile I think, when it comes to pittoresque composing there are of course several examples which tend to leave the range of conventional harmony even in earlier music history)

In short: courageuos modernism seems to be one of the oldest and most venerable traditions music has ever had ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Post removed due to offering nothing of value to this conversation.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi David

I am sorry, but can not find in your latest posting any relation to the subject of this thread. Somethings seem to be more or less personal. And "psychological" advises no one has asked for seem to me likewise neither of any musical relevance for this thread nor very friendly or respectful for anyone to whom they might be adressed.

This is obviously a really difficult subject for any kind of relaxed and objective discussion. It is a pitty, since I think between many more or less personal misguided posts which no one really enjoys to read here, there are still a lot of musical interesting things to talk about.

BTW if you have had my "signature" in mind you should read it completly with the Questionmark at the end: It is a question I am just looking for anything comparable. So if you know anything I'll be glad to hear something about ๐Ÿ˜ƒ (Do you think this could be misunderstood as not modest enough? So I should better call my Music-Website perhaps "MaestroCorner" to show how many severe doubts I do have in thhe Quality of my own work ๐Ÿ˜›)

• last edited
    last edited

Who said I had too much time on my hands?.......๐Ÿ˜•

If only.....

Fahl, don't take David too seriously, I think (hope) he is trying to be conciliatory. It is a heated debate and in need of measured language in order to progress to a detante...CMC -Conciliatory Music Counselling....

www.mikehewer.com
  • last edited
    last edited

Time? It is Sunday, ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Fahl, I do not have the inclination to draw you in to a war of words. I will, however, state, that I am quite pleased with the quality of my work, irrespective of your opinion of it. Continue to be your charming, personable self :) David

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Acclarion

Great that you like your works, I hope that helps you understand, that others might likewise think about their own work without calling for any CMComplex or what ever.

To be clear I never had and therefor never formulated any opinion about your work. I only read in your own posting where youself talked about your work like that: "due to my own insecipurity about my worth as an artist," So I am glad that you are not in danger "to be your charming, personable self" ....."Maestro" ๐Ÿ˜‰:

• The Meastro's Corner refers to a shop for conductors to purchase scores for performance, not a reference to my own status as a "maestro." Get over yourself, Fahl. As Mike clearly understood, a little levity amongst wayyy too serious artists was in order, for which I chose to provide, in perhaps, a not so successful way. Your response indicates a literal interpretation of my post, as if CMC is a real condition and I've just diagnosed you with it. Relax, it was a joke. David Carovillano

• last edited
    last edited

@Paul McGraw said:

mh-7635,

Why not post under your real name? I believe using ones real name on the internet fosters a more congenial environment for all.

Who do I rate? By that I think you mean who do I admire and spend time listening to their music? The fields of choral music, especially religious choral music, and symphonic band music, have many composers of note. The way this usually works is I name a few, then the proponent of atonality trashes them, thinking they have thus won some kind of point. However, I will play along and we will see what happens.

Among choral composers Eric Whitacre has had enormous success. Among symphonic band composers Phillip Sparke is well worth a listen. Most of the best orchestral writers have gravitated towards film music. There are many of these in the past, Korngold, Herman and Miklos Rozsa immediately come to mind. Living today we have a clear connection with concert music in the Lord of the Rings Symphony by Howard Shore. 

But no need to look further than right here at the VSL forum. Guy Bacos and William Kersten create marvelous, well crafted orchestral music. 

My statement that atonality is old is not a misleading, false, or deceptive argument. It is simply a fact, and was stated as a fact backed up by factual evidence. Calling a fact an opinion, even calling it specious, does not advance the discussion. I do not have a time limit for aesthetic movements. What made you think that? Tonality dates back to the dawn of human history. The greek philosophers of antiquity wrote about the various modes. 

What do I propose for young composers? I would tell them to write what is in their heart. I would tell them that if they want a large audience they need to utilize the tonal language of music. I would tell them not to worry about being "original" or "finding their own voice" or "speaking to our time." If they master their craft, then if they have something original to say it will come out of them naturally.

Yes, institutions have probably ruined many potentially fine composers. Thankfully that seems to be changing. I do not agree that anyone needs to "make themselves relevant." How do we judge what is or is not relevant to our current society? Isn't Eric Witacre relevant? If not, why not? 

Well Paul to address your post in order - my signature tells everyone who I am but your continuing adjectives tend to rule out congeniality.  BTW I suggest you do not click on my site as there are some pieces there that will not be to your taste, but you and everyone else are welcome to call me whatever you like, I only ask that you keep it civil if you want reasoned debate.

From what you write, I can't seem to escape the conclusion that you seem to think atonality and tonality do not mix whether it be musically or regarding someones creative preferences. I believe you are wrong on these points , firstly because I am not going to 'trash' your preferences and instead agree with you about the composers you have mentioned - although it is duly noted that the best you can come up with in a thread instigated by an appreciation of Salonen is Howard Shore who is of course a great film composer, but some here might consider his ouvre to be a little off-topic when considering the highest aspirational realms of our practice, if only because film scorings  raison d'etre imposes a utility on self-expression, which is in the main absent in the concert world. (I do not want to digress too much here, but accept that there is a good argument against this that suggests that the desire for self expression in film scoring can be quenched in practice, but as this thread is not about film scoring I shall leave it there). 

Secondly, your assumption that the 2 technical practices (tonal -atonal) are mutually exclusive is completely fallacious because one is surely an all-encompassing extension of the other and when used competently gives the composer a wide expressive arc - all that is needed are adventurous ears and a willingness to search.

Your assertion that atonality is old and therefore not a way forward is a subjective conclusion based on your antipathy and is not factual nor predicated on the reality of current practice. The fact is that atonality and tonality exist side by side in todays zeitgeist and can even be combined very successfully. You really are missing out on wonderful music Paul, music that has extended levels of functioning harmonic practice that is not proscriptive in a dodecaphonic sense. This makes me wonder if your definition of atonality is the same as mine and many of the great composers of shall we say the last 60 years, but if you haven't listened to any of their music, how are you to know and even insult their work convincingly.

For once I agree fully with the paragraph starting with your propositions for young composers. Some will venture into atonality and find a seductive world of possibilities.

Mike is correct.   Many composers of our time have learned, and are learning, to integrate tonal and atonal techniques, using the chromatic scale but at the same time using harmonies that make sense to that composer.

Composers have been playing with "tonal gravity" (the tendency to hear a given tone as a point of resolution, of repose) for centuries before the codification of this tendency into set theory or a 12-tone matrix.  Schoenberg's achievement was a logical extention of the intense chromaticism of the late 19th and early 20th century, and he overcame the chromatic scale's organization into 12 half-steps by creating the tone-row. The challenge is to create music with all 12 tones but do it with harmonies that are beautiful and meaningful. The line between tonality and atonality is a grey line, it's not black and white. 

The San Francisco Conservatory of Music's electronic music class is coming to my studio this week for a field trip, so I have an opportunity to listen to and learn from what young composers are doing and thinking about.  

I'll be taking a break from this forum for a while, must concentrate on composing, taking care of my family and teaching.  

Jerry

• last edited
    last edited

@Acclarion said:

Relax, it was a joke.

David Carovillano

OK "Maestro" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oops presumably I have been found guilty to be serious again.

OK Ill be ready to get bombed with further undemanded Psycho-diagnose-"Jokes".๐Ÿ‘Ž

• post retracted with apologies to all.

• last edited
    last edited

Hi Jerry,

@jsg said:

The line between tonality and atonality is a grey line, it's not black and white. 

Yes! This is exactly my opinion.

There are enough younger past dodekaphonic concepts of tonality, which are inspired by Ideas of conciousnesly defining the material used in a certain passage independent from traditional concepts of functional harmony, if you think on different concepts of defining new Scales and Modes of those scales which can in the same time include in the sequence of applied scales Ideas of equal distribution of tonal material which stood behind the concept of dodekaphonic technics.

In short the dodekaphonic concept was only a very first step, which was followed by so much more newer courageous ideas and experiments to create new tonal relations and differences, that the simple opposition of tonal and atonal do not cover at all what is already in use since decades by advanced composers.

How ever when it comes to the point where we are today, I believe that more than ever and more than any concept, convention or ideology it just counts to what the ear finally hears It is good if the listener feels invited to follow the path the music choses.

Again for me I do not rule out any path categoricly. And if someone choses to 100 % imitate historic conventions of what ever epoque. It still can be good if it is well done not more and not less than any other approach a composer choses. However concept or approach it might be, it simply should convince me just with what I can hear.

Why do I think this might be Ok not only for me but perhaps OK for our situation in music history: Simply because we have learned, that there is very muchgreat music  crreated in tha last 4-500 years. None of it is inevitably better or inferior only because it is written earlier or later. Imho the Idea of (music) historical progress which accumlates and also finally ends up in 20th century does not dominate any more.

What is left is imho just the question is it good? and therefor we do have in musical history more than ever the best benchmarks of course including all revolutions that ever took place until now. 

• last edited
    last edited

@Acclarion said:

To be serious: Is there any greater example of a snarky, self-agrandising, socially inept, prudish, humourless jerk out there?

I absolutely can guarantee that you have no friends in the real world. Trust me...this I know unequivocally. ๐Ÿ˜Š. I also know you won't be able to resist getting the last word in, so have at it, Mr. Fahl. If the sum of all your witty retorts could be distilled in liquid form, we'd need an eye dropper to dispense it. ๐Ÿ˜ด

Cheers,

The Maestro โœŒ

Should that be a "Joke" ??????

.....and not simply an abusive direct and personal attack against another member here?

Is this what you think is the respectful and friendly kind of "humor" which makles it a pleasure to read this forum?  OMG.

(reported!)

• last edited
    last edited

@mh-7635 said:

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry that I did not see your name on your posts. No insult was intended, and if I made a mistake with pronouns, I appologize for that as well. Of course I do not appologize for my opinions and conclusions regarding music. I am passionate about the subject. 

I'm not sure if you wanted any sort of reply, I want you to know that I read your entire post very carefully.If there is something you want to debate or discuss, I am willing to do so. I am not going to change my conclusions about tonality and atonality, and I sense that you also are firm in your point of view. So that topic is probably a waste of time. But I am open to a discussion of any other musical topic. Regarding Howard Shore, he many not be innovative, but he is certainly a master of his craft. However, as I anticipated in my email, I expected you simply were asking me "who I rate" so that you could then trash them. That is OK, totally to be expected.

I'm glad we can agree about advice to young composers. It is in that vein that I was describing the fact that atonality is old. Many young composers idiolize the gound breaking inovator. I know I did. Many younng composers want to be relevant and current. I know I did. But writing atonal music is not going to make a composer today an inovator or relevant. Why not? Because atonality is old. It is no more of an innovation to write atonal music than to write Baroque or Romantic music. If the young composer wants to write atonal music because that is what they personally like to hear and they want to be a perfector, like Mozart, then great. They could have a solid future. University composition teachers are retiring and dieing off every day leaving room for new atonal composers. So I think composers should forget about being an innovator (unless they truly can come up with something totally original) and focus on perfecting their craft, writing the kind of music that they personally enjoy. 

Paul T. McGraw

• This was a reply to your fixation with rolling your eyes, referring to me as Maestro, so as to continually imply that I think of myself in some lofty, self important way, and then to continue condescendingly rolling your eyes further after my explanation to you. I am done discussing anything with you. Report away. I respect so many great musicians on this forum. What I can't stand, is to see these incredibly intelligent, gifted individuals constantly try to bring down others. My initial "humour" post may not have been received in the spirit for which it was intended, and for that I apologize. But your subsequent responses indicate to me that you enjoy stoking the fire, and then crying out when the flames get too hot for you to handle. I shall leave you alone...do the same for me.

• last edited
    last edited

@Acclarion said:

This was a reply to your fixation with rolling your eyes, referring to me as Maestro, so as to continually imply that I think of myself in some lofty, self important way, and then to continue condescendingly rolling your eyes further after my explanation to you. I am done discussing anything with you. Report away.

I respect so many great musicians on this forum. What I can't stand, is to see these incredibly intelligent, gifted individuals constantly try to bring down others. My initial "humour" post may not have been received in the spirit for which it was intended, and for that I apologize. But your subsequent responses indicate to me that you enjoy stoking the fire, and then crying out when the flames get too hot for you to handle.

I shall leave you alone...do the same for me.

There is a decisive diference: I did not post a single word which was simply abusive attacking you as person here in any way.

Did you seriously justify your personal attacks against my person with your certain sens of "humor"while you are not ready to tolerate even a single emoticon ??????

So dont take your own Interpretations of an emoticon as pretext to break existing rules of well behavior in this forum.

Someone who explicitly talks about his own works "I am quite pleased with the quality of my work" should be a bit more careful attacking others with words like "self-agrandising" etc. I personally did no parallel insult against you at all and will not do so in future. 

But it must be stated, that what you are doing is far beyond what is acceptable behavior covered by any rule of any public comunication platform.

And to be clear I do not bring any one "down" nor did I ever intended or tried to do so. Be ready to accept other opinions this is obviously the only problem you might have with what I post here.

And be sure your "flames" are not at all "hot" in any possible sens of this word. They simply disturb profoundly the serious and open discussion and that is what makes them not tolerable at all.