Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,387 users have contributed to 42,295 threads and 255,061 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 2 new thread(s), 10 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• Aha. I was unsure about the term 'speed of connection' believing you were talking about the time it took for Logic to load everything vs VE Pro itself to load everything. Taking time to connect, more than a moment, appears to indicate a network issue such as dynamic IP.

• I am using a fixed IP.

I am going to try these remedies to see what happens:

1. Try on-board LAN port on slave rather than the PCIE card I am using.

2. Repair master Mac permissions.

3. Try creating a new metaframe from scratch.

I hope one of these improves things.

• Unfortunately tried all these 3 changes and no better.

Can someone confirm I have IPs correct:

Mac Master
    IP 192.168.2.2
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.2.1
    DNS 192.168.2.1

Slave
    IP 192.168.2.3
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.2.1
    DNS 192.168.2.1 (also tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

I do not think the settings are the issue as connects okay (eventually).

I am going to try reinstalling Logic, deleting prefs and using my MacBook Pro as master to see if its the Mac or Logic.

I spoke to Jay Asher (EastWest support and general nice guy), and his template has 32gb of Play stuff on a slave PC and his loads in 30 seconds so I know there is an issue.

• last edited
    last edited

@Janicek said:

Unfortunately tried all these 3 changes and no better.

Can someone confirm I have IPs correct:

Mac Master
    IP 192.168.2.2
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.2.1
    DNS 192.168.2.1

Slave
    IP 192.168.2.3
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    Router 192.168.2.1
    DNS 192.168.2.1 (also tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

I do not think the settings are the issue as connects okay (eventually).

I am going to try reinstalling Logic, deleting prefs and using my MacBook Pro as master to see if its the Mac or Logic.

I spoke to Jay Asher (EastWest support and general nice guy), and his template has 32gb of Play stuff on a slave PC and his loads in 30 seconds so I know there is an issue.

Thanks for the kind words.

Just to be clear to others though: once my VE Pro m-frmaes on my slave PC with Play (takes 5-6 minutes) and on my Mac with Kontakt are loaded. my Logic Pro template (which also includes other softweare instruments loaded directly in it) opens and connects to the VE Pro m-frames and 25 seconds. All SSDS though.

• Hi, Which SSDs are you using? How many samples are you loading? How many GB do the samples need? What Preload Buffersize are you using? Did you check the speed of your SSDs with a speedtool? If yes, what was the result for reading (MB/S). Is your internetconnection on the second networkport in the same networkrange as your VEPRO network? Regards Bernd

• Firstly yes all IPs are in same range, secondly all samples are on SATA3 SSDs.

However the problem is not sample or stream related. I have preloaded the metaframes on the slaves before starting Logic on the master.

The problem is the connection time between the VEP plugins and the slaves, it takes 5 minutes.

It was not always like this.

So far have tried:

1. Reinstalling VEP
    2. Swapping Cables, with/without switch
    3. Swapping LAN cards
    4. Reinstalling LAN drivers
    5. Blank template with new metaframe
    6. Using my MacBook as master with fresh copy of Logic

Nothing seems to work.

Starting to wonder if latest VEP is not firendly to 10.8.5

• Can You try if the following changes something. Use the following IPs for the VEPRO network: Master 10.0.5.2 Slave 1 10.0.5.3 Slave 2 10.0.5.4 All with subnet 255.255.255.0 No gateway or router ans no DNS. Does this make any difference. Regards Bernd

• Thanks, I will try your suggestion.

Just to rule out corrupted files or sample player issues I loaded 4 blank instrument channels with empty VEP instances in a new metaframe. It took 3 minutes to connect!

So at least I know the issue is not connected to how many VIs, samples, plugin issues.

• last edited
    last edited

@Janicek said:

However the problem is not sample or stream related. I have preloaded the metaframes on the slaves before starting Logic on the master.

The problem is the connection time between the VEP plugins and the slaves, it takes 5 minutes.

It was not always like this.

[...]

Nothing seems to work.

Starting to wonder if latest VEP is not firendly to 10.8.5

Ok, the thing I noticed was that reducing the size of the template did not change the time of connection.
    That means there is some issue of the connection. I'm on 10.8.5. The amount of outputs enabled = the amount of time for the DAW project to fully load. "to fully load" means the amount of time to _connect_ to VE Pro essentially, excepting plugins loaded in the host [Cubase]. I think you said you are using one stereo out per instance. So your "9 instances" compare well enough to a typical load in my case. I'm looking at ... ok, right now I happen to have a metaframe up with 9 stereo outs that Cubase has to bring up. Let's see: took almost 20 seconds, most of which is the 9 outs.

The issue is not going to be down to VE Pro or 10.8.5 in all probability. EDIT: so yeah, you've ruled out what you're connecting to as the issue. It should be a network if not hardware issue, if this were me that's where I'd focus at this point I think.

• When you say 20 seconds, is that via a slave or via a server on your master Mac?

If from a slave would you mind giving me an example of your network settings for both machines?

I think its either hardware or configuration, however its the PC side I am not so confident about. I've done hardware tests and all seem okay, but I cannot be 100% its not hardware.

At least I know latest VEP isokay on 10.8.5.

I was considering updating to Mavericks, but now they have released Yosemite its nolonger available (should have downloaded it without installing!). I always like to installone back so I am sure drivers work.

• This is local host, the one machine. My experience with a slave connection was pretty much the same.
    Actually Cubase is configured slightly differently today vs then so if anything it was faster with a slave.

• Okay, I have no issues with the local server connection time so that indicates a network issue. The difficulty is whether its a hardware or software issue. I have tried so many different things to no avail.

• Hi, Did you try the ips i wrote before? I think the Problem is that you habe both networks internet ans vepro in The same network. So the master does not know which network Device he should usw. It looks like the master takes the wrong one until he runs in a timeout. Then the master tries the other network Device which is working. Regards Bernd

• I will try your suggestion, though the internet connection is on another ethernet port on the Mac and using a different range 169.XXX.X.X given by a DHCP server.

• Hi, Ok looks like there is something wrong in the setup. A 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is not given by a dhcp Server. It is given by the operating systems itsself when there is no dhcp Server. Does the connection work faster if You Are using just fhe vepro network without the Internet network? Who is your dhcp Server? Regards Bernd

• Sorry that was a typo, when I checked it was actually in the 192. range, which probably did not help.

So I tried the 10.X.X.X range for the VEP port, its better but I still think I have problems.

I tried connecting toone slave direct cable and via switch, 9 instances of Kontakt with min 2 audio, 1 Midi port and it took 1 minute to connect a preloaded metaframe.

Im just a little stumped as its the sameon both slave PCs and using either the internal network card that came with  the motherboard (both are Intel i7 types) and using a PCIE Intel CT Gigabit card.

Do I need to add anything to the lmhosts file?

Does anyone know how to completely reset the PC network and flush out the network cache or whatever as I am a Mac person!

• Just posting this in case anyone elseruns into similar.

Have got the loading much better (down to 1min loading 2 slave PCs total of 19 instances).

What seemed to cure it was playing around with the Network card drivers, I experimented until I found a version that worked. Being a Mac person this is new to me as the Network side usually works without intervention.

• I've also SOLVED this after years of slow loading times. I thought it was meant to be that way, but since Logic requires one instrument track/instance (no, multiport doesn't work well) I needed 80 instances (divided on 3 slaves + localhost), and that was a pain opening up. I tried these things: - New gigabit switch - Direct connection - Reducing midi- and audioports - Fewer instruments/instance No luck. What finally solved it was this: 1. Use static IPs, not DHCP. 2. Keep master & slave on a separate network, without internet 3. If the master has more than one NIC (wifi, bluetooth, ethernet) disable ALL of them except the one on the slave network. It doesn't matter if it's a separate network, VEP doesn't seem to understand this. After connection is established, you can re-enable the other NICs again. I'm now connecting to 80 instances in 30 seconds, it used to take 10 minutes. DAW Computer is a Mac Pro 2013 with x2 ethernet. Best, Andreas