Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

183,318 users have contributed to 42,291 threads and 255,047 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 14 new post(s) and 56 new user(s).

• It crashes while loading Celeste a lot as well, if not more than Harp. Also, I can always tell when it's about to crash... When the loading screen pops up for the second instance (mentioned above), the bar never starts moving while the names of the instruments flash by as they're loading. Inevitably, it lands on a particular instrument and stalls, then VEP crashes.

• pparker88:

Simon's initial crash showed Play crashing in some of its iLok code.

Your crash report shows Kontakt crashing in some gui creation code. Please kontakt Native Instruments support with your krash report, they should be able to help you further.

If you want fast and accurate response to VEP crash reports, please email support@vsl.co.at, which is our primary support channel.

• Hey Martin, thanks for the insight!

Stemming from a discussion I was having in the EastWest forums, I have just changed our metaframe template to initiated loading the two instances containing Play first and then the instances containing Kontakt. This seems to have remedied the issue for me for the time being (have only loaded the metaframe twice, but no crashes so far...)

If I have any more crashes or other issues I will certainly file a report directly with VSL support, thank you again!

Cheers,
    Paul

• From what i know.. and have heard.. Kontact wiil totaly do a RAM grab as much as it can get its grubby paws on.  Its best to load it last

• Yes, and I have gotten my template not crashing by loading the PLAY instances LAST. So in other words, it seems totally random, what works...:) It crashed at once when I tried putting my 4 PLAY instances first....

Both Kontakt and PLAY seem to not play nicely with VEP. I doubt neither will do anything about it though.

• Yeah, I wouldn't assign causality to any ordering like that.. I would not like to be forced to order my instance behind this kind of crap.

• The order of plugins should not matter. If it does, it points to some memory corruption bug in one (or more) of your plugins. This can (and will) cause undefined strange behavior and crashes.

• I'm somewhat stable but PLAY causes Cubase to crash when loading a project, so I moved PLAY to VEP. I HOPE it doesn't start to crash VEP frequently or I'm going to need to abandon PLAY all together....It's a shame these plugins are having issues. Kontakt and PLAY are pretty much the reason I purchased VEP.

• And now in Yosemite Play not load nothing in his memory server in VEP 32 bits !!! When one wants to put a large template with Play in VEP 32 bits = CRASH !!

What a SHAME !!

• Yosemite is 64 bits. Play 4 is 64 bits. .VE Pro has a 64 and a 32 bit  bit server.

Guess which one it makes more sense to put Play 4 in? :)

• Mavericks is 64 bits, Play is 64 bits. I put Play where I want (64 or 32 ) according to what I want to do.

In Yosemite this is not possible because an issue in Play 4, then for what your server is used ?

• 1. Technology moves on and backwards compatibility is not forever.

2. The 32 bit server is for any remaining 32 bit software instruments you use. Like Sylenth, I believe.

Anyway, if you insist on using the 32 bit server for 64 buit plug-ins then load Play 4 in the 64 bit server and load Kontakt in the 32 bit server since you say that still is possible.

But personally, I recommend you say to 32 bit anything, "Thanks guys it was fun but it's over. :)

• 2.  It is exactly what I do since Yosemite

But you did not answer my question concerning the server of Play. The " Technology moves on and backwards compatibility is not forever " is not an satisfactory answer,

because for example the Kontakt server function normally in VEP 32 bits under Yosemite!! It is you even who say it !!

• Well, that may not be a satisfactory answer to YOU but to those of us who have worked with technology a long time we know that is simply the reality. It happened with Play first apparently but eventually it will happen with Kontakt as well. 

And BTW, I got curious so for the first time in 2 years I opended the VE Pro 32 bit server and created 5 projects, each with a Hollywood Strings instantiation: Vln 1, Vln 2, Viola, Celli, and Basses and it is not crashing here.

• Are you the only one who have worked with technology a long time ??? Wowww !!

The reality is an issue with Play 4( his memory server ) in Yosemite and you don't want to admit !!

Vln1, Vln2 Viola, Celli and Basses in VEP 32 , how much memory used by VEP 32 in Apple memory monitor, and your Play server in this memory monitor how much memory ?? In Yosemite ??

And what to say to the memory server of Omnisphere and Trillian which functions always as well in VEP 32 under Yosemite?? The only server which does not function with Yosemite it is Play 4!!

In any case I cannot agree with you on this problem.

• Fine, then by all means feel free to continue to focus your energy on what no longer works instead of doing what does.

• Ok one is well of agreement, Play 4 does not function normally and it is well for that I more and more often make use of Kontakt !!

And indeed you are right, I do not want to waste my energy with people who do not answer the questions and who want nothing to admit rather than to seek the problem!!

good continuation, cordialy

• So one supposes that EWQL should be clear on its website that expecting Play 32-bit to work is unreasonable because it doesn't, it isn't "backwards compatible".
    "The 32 bit server is for any remaining 32 bit software instruments you use." I did not know that! I believed that both instruments and FX worked in VE Pro.

• last edited
    last edited

@aptmusic said:

Kontakt and PLAY

Well, this isn't going to happen, the two memory servers will not coexist in VE Pro. It isn't that 32-bit won't work, this is the actual issue. So you will have to accept this. I think NI is not going to respond to making noise about it a lot better than EWQL (although should you try on the latter's forum, expect deletions if not a ban); for this to change all three vendors would have to cooperate and work on it, and this didn't happen when memory servers was more of a thing than it is today.

At one time Play would not work at all in VE Pro. Of course EWQL said this wasn't up to them, even though it required them to address it before it did work. It was quite some time before this happened iirc.

• The solution is very simple. If you turn off the Kontakt memory server, which is not really necessary, you can then load both Play and Kontakt v-frames in thesame m-frame in VE Pro's 64 bit server. Anyone in the LA area is wlecome to come to my studio if they choose not to believe me and I will prove it to them as long as they promise to come here and report what they observed.

Or load Play in the 64 bit server and Kontakt in the 32 bit server. Why is this a problem?