Vienna Symphonic Library Forum
Forum Statistics

182,928 users have contributed to 42,264 threads and 254,950 posts.

In the past 24 hours, we have 3 new thread(s), 6 new post(s) and 52 new user(s).

• [D][I] Can you imagine the RSI in having to write a Hans score 100 years ago? Don't cheat with the % (approximate) sign now....

Seriously, I feel like an infinitesimal insignificant mollusc for using Logic Pro. I would appreciate it if somebody would take a minute here to explain why sp many professionals use DP, and nobody Logic Pro. I'm being serious, I'd love to know; specifically the advantages it offers for a Horner, Williams, etc. like score. I am not interested if it just it loops beats better.

• Logic Pro is just fine. Henry Jackman uses it. John Powell uses it. David Arnold too I think.

They're all good in their own ways and yes, they don't all do the same things. (I'm mainly talking about DP, Cubase, and Logic) It all comes down to what really works for you.

I spent years wondering the same thing and after trying many different DAWs and working with lots of professionals that use different DAWs, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter as long as you like the workflow of that particular DAW.

Honestly, I don't think as many people use DP as people have made it sound in these forums. I worked at Remote Control Productions for some time and everyone uses Cubase or Logic.

That doens't mean that DP is bad btw. There are features that I really wish Logic or Cubase would steal from DP.

A lot of the guys on DP are on DP because that's what they started using decades ago, and a lot of them don't want to change because... why should they if it works for them?

It's true that DP has some awesome features for film scoring. Multiple chunks (ie you can have multiple cues per project). You can make your click behave exactly how you want it regardless of what your tempo is set to (which is the same with Pro Tools). I'm sure there are more.

Cubase is in my opinion the best for midi mockup work. The possibilities that you can have with its logical editor are amazing. You can select every 2nd 16th notes and do specific things to those (that's just a small example of the power behind Cubase). You can see multiple controller lanes all at once (and not on top of each other in the annoying way like DP does it - someone correct me if I'm wrong) There are many more but I'm too lazy to write them down...

Logic has the logical editor, where you can do some crazy routing between things as well as midi transformations like Cubase. I remember liking the default plugins.

Yes, a lot of the big guys use Protools but only for routing all the audio there. It makes it easier when you have lots of slave machines that don't necessarily use VEP and/or when you need to give all the mockup stems to mixers (that use PT 99% of the time) Almost no one uses Protools for midi because it's still not as good even though it has improved dramatically in the last couple updates. (I don't use protools much either way so someone can probably expand on protools' midi capabilities)

To summarize, just try them all, find out what you'd rather use composing everyday. Find out which DAW allows you to get your job done in the most efficient way for your particular workflow.

Please don't feel like an infinitesimal insignificant mollusc for using Logic Pro. If that's the DAW that works for you, then that's what works for you.

In the end, no top professional is going to care what DAW you use as long as you get the job done.

However, I do think that having at least an intermediate grasp of all DAWs is very useful. Not only does it make you versatile but it'll allow you to know exactly why you picked your favorite DAW.

Also... there are some composer who like to switch DAWs every once in a while because they get bored...

• Great feature in Logic that nobody has is the Environnement and Scripter (you can program in Logic)

They also have all the tools to sync and correct audio. The draw back is that there is no Expression Mapping

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • Hmmm... I agree that a programming e(E)nvironment in any program is very welcome and compliant. DP Chunks sounds like a great tool too (not too difficult for Logic to emulate), and Expression Maps would augment efficiency logarithmically.

And yes Bill, inspiration and musicianship are paramount, but it is up to someone Else to program those into our own personal DNA(W)s.

• I just discovered a great 9 minute YouTube movie from MOTU, showcasing their film scoring features.

has some great features for integrating a movie file into the DAW workflow, e.g.
    • Routing the original movie's tracks (dialogue/effects) into mixer channels (without importing)
    • Showing the movie in its own window or separate full-screen display
    • Showing thumbnails of the film inside your sequence tracks
    • Exporting audio and movie into a new movie file to show the director your work in progress.

You can set up multiple sequences (il.e. scenes) within the same project file.  This lets you utilize the same array of virtual instruments, effects, etc. across scenes, and reference the same movie file, with each sequence starting at it's on timecode.

For "live" conducting or performing, DP lets you set markers that generate streamers or punches superimposed in the movie window. 

It also has a powerful conductor track, to manage tempo changes.  There is also a tempo calculator to help you find a best-fit tempo based on hit points you've marked in the project.

-------

For background:  I am a DP user.  I previously used Cubase (ten years ago), and liked it a lot, but DP offered better film scoring features.  Not sure first-hand what Cubase offers today, but I've gotten the impression DP is still ahead.  

About twenty years go, my first DAW ever was C-Lab Notator for Atari ST - the predecessor to Logic.  At that time, Logic was considered very powerful but also kind of complex to work with.  But over the years, and leading into their acquisition by Apple, I think it's gotten easier to use.  So, anyway, I'm a case in point for what was posted previously:  Every now and then we all have to take a fresh look at what's out there and decide what seems to work best for our current needs!

p.s. If you google "film scoring challenge logic vs digital performer" - someone else has done a comparison video that I found interesting, and might have some more perspective for you.

•  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ljd7R8ASuw

look like this guy dont know the use of folder in Logic, this much better than chunck as you can make many music proposition for one scene, juste muting and unmuting folders 

MacBook Pro M3 MAX 128 GB 8TB - 2 x 48" screen --- Logic Pro --- Mir Pro 3D --- Most of the VI libs, a few Synch... libs --- Quite a few Kontakt libs --- CS80 fanatic
  • edit: on second thought, I should not comment on this topic any more!

• last edited
    last edited

I'm sorry my friend but muting and unmuting folders is nothing at all like Chunks. Not even close. First of all you can mute and unmute folders in DP. In fact you can disable VIs (which is like muting but it removes the VI from memory therefore freeing up resources).

Chuncks is a completly different level of workflow. You can have multiple sequences in DP (called Chuncks), the when you've finished your cue (sequence), you can arrange ALL of your cues in a Song. A Song in DP is a collection of Chunks. In other words, it's all of your cues in one window which you get to arrange by draging around icons that represent the cues.

Each sequence can have a whole templae of MIDI tracks, while the VIs are in DP's vrack (all sequences access the VIs in the vrack), or the VIs could be in VEPro. It works either way.

For film composers, this means you could playback an entire soundtrack in the Song window without touching the computer. I have sequences with my full orchestral template of MIDI tracks, and DP with Chuncks in the Song window will playback all of my orchestral cues synced to a movie.

No other DAW has this feature (that I'm aware of). Check out this video. javascript:mctmp(0);

javascript:mctmp(0);

That being said, I sometimes use Logic and enjoy it. I think Cubase is very good for midi orchstral as well.

Btw, the same guy who coded the early version of Performer (the pre-DP DAW MIDI sequencer), also wrote the early code for midi in Pro Tools.

Cheers!

Regards, Steve Steele https://www.stevesteele.com
  • There was a survey on the VI-Control forum and Cubase was the most popular DAW by a large margin. Second Logic and third DP.

Many of the composers on the VI forum tend to be younger, so that might be why DP didn't get more votes, which is still very popular among more veteran composers, but in general Cubase tend to be more common, especially with European composers. DP has lost a lot of ground and Cubase seems to work better with VEP, so I think this tendency will continue.

For recording PT is the undisputed champion, of course.

I think DP is still the best software for film scoring as far as features and workflow goes, but the lack of support for VEP is becoming a deal breaker for me, so I might switch to Cubase.

• Good reply. That's exactly right. I believe that MOTU is going to add VST3 support to both their OSX and Windows versions of DP in an upcoming update but that is only speculation. MOTU has not said anything about that directly. Having VST3 support and a Windows version could help DP sales quite a bit with users relying on VEPro considering what a great DAW it is otherwise, and MOTU is well aware of the VEPro issue. I was considering a switch to Cubase too, or at least using both for different tasks (DP is a great audio DAW too), but am going to stick it out to see what happens.

• Is there someone here that has worked orchestra on both Logic (X preferably) AND DP (8 preferably)? Which program have you found easier and the most efficient - as well as efficacious of course, for MIDI sculpting (VSL instruments) and CC lanes? Please state your reasons on prefering one program to the other, thanks. Also, I wonder how steep you'd consider the learning curve switching from Logic to DP.

• Errikos - I have used both Logic 9 and DP8 on large orchestral projects. On an indie film project I did last year I got a good opportunity to compare Logic and DP for myself. I composed some cues in Logic and some in DP to answer the very same questions you're asking yourself. I'd be glad to tell you what I found out. I'm replying on an iPad right now but when I get to my studio tonight I'll reply with some concrete examples that you can try for yourself if you like. I take it you have Logic X from your other posts, but I recommend that you download the 30-day demo of DP8 from the MOTU site so you can try a few things that I'll mention for yourself and see which way of working you like better.

• Thanks for taking the trouble, I look forward to your post.

• Errikos - I haven't forgot about you. I'll reply soon. I was going to give you a side by side breakdown of how I felt while I was working in both. The bottom line basically is I enjoyed sketching in Logic. Logic can be fun. But when things get serious I move over to DP because of a few features like Chunks, DP's incredibly tight marking and synching with video, track groups, being able to enable and disable any track in real time (not freeze tracks) which removes resources if needed without losing anything, every MIDI track is multitimbral, DP's Bundle's feature. I prefer DP's audio editing. MIDI editing is a personal preference. I like things about both, but feel more comfortable editing MIDI in DP. DP can read AUs, VSTs and MAS. Logic just AU.

I'll reply back later with a better comparison (haven't slept in two days). I do like Logic. But I default to DP for almost all styles, especially orchestral and film.

But, if you do well in Logic, there are many many great composers using Logic. The guy from Spitfire Audio hs a huge Logic based rig. The guys from CineSamples (except for one guy who uses DP). I know thee are deveolpers, but the guy from Spitfire is a working composer and his name just poped into my tired brain.

I'll get back when I'm more together.

• Thanks for remembering nad for all this useful information. I have used Logic for years, I can't say I am unhappy with it (I wish it had those Expression Maps), but I am much more musician than engineer and I am trying to determine which of the main three DAWs is the most user-friendly, without having to sacrifice quality. I am someone that doesn't use external effects-hardware or other companies' plug-ins (save for VSL). How would you compare the quality of Logic's effects and plug-ins to those of DP's and Cubase's for serious orchestral and film work? Please note that I work from Sibelius to DAW, not the other way around.

When you're feeling rested of course.

• I have realized I should not comment on many topics here.  Of course, current film composers tend to set me off so I should refrain.  Sorry!

• last edited
    last edited

@Errikos said:

Thanks for remembering nad for all this useful information. I have used Logic for years, I can't say I am unhappy with it (I wish it had those Expression Maps), but I am much more musician than engineer and I am trying to determine which of the main three DAWs is the most user-friendly, without having to sacrifice quality. I am someone that doesn't use external effects-hardware or other companies' plug-ins (save for VSL). How would you compare the quality of Logic's effects and plug-ins to those of DP's and Cubase's for serious orchestral and film work? Please note that I work from Sibelius to DAW, not the other way around.

When you're feeling rested of course.

Errikos,

I use Logic X and Wavelab 8 which containes all Cubase Effects as well ... so I know both internal Effects. Especially the lastest Plug ins in Cubase 7.5 and WL 8 are better in quality, Even for Composers. Agree?

• I have to take your word for it, I haven't tried them. It seems a tough pill to swallow though that Wavelab would have better plug-ins and effects than Logic.

• Wavelab and Cubase are double as expensive as Logic. So, it is more than fair that they share the same effects.

The reason for Steinbergs new quality is that that they hire the old Partners from Wizoo since quite a while. Everyone who knows Wizoo-Products will know what that means for quality. For example ... there is a new Reverb in Cubase 7.5 and it is made by the Guy who created the legendary WizooVerb Plug in. But it is only the algorithmic Part of WizooVerb (there was a convolutionpart too ... maybe in Cubase 8?? ... who knows ...)

Unfortunatly this great Reverb is not in WL 8 yet ... maybe in 8.5 ...

That is why many People think, that Cubase takes the lead in Future Development. I agree.

• There are great reverbs in Logic like the "Space Design". But the best is MIR